Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is H. P. Lovecraft a good author?
Yes
No
View Results

• Locked thread
ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Lovecraft hated black people and was not very subtle about it. Comparing him to Twain is moronic.

The n word is magic and makes you racist even if you're deconstructing the continued racist attitudes of the post-war South, in a manner exceedingly progressive for your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Yes, I especially liked when he called niggers for niggers.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

reallivedinosaur posted:

Mark Twain was ok but some of his books deal with "racist" stuff so I declare it unreadable I am very sensitive to the feelings of people I never intend to spend any time or attention on.

I do like Lovecraft's writing a lot, I think it should be available and that people should check it out. but dude, Mark Twain didn't write things like:

"The negro had been knocked out, and a moment’s examination shewed us that he would permanently remain so. He was a loathsome, gorilla-like thing, with abnormally long arms which I could not help calling fore legs, and a face that conjured up thoughts of unspeakable Congo secrets and tom-tom poundings under an eerie moon."

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
His racism has little if nothing to do with the quality of his work. He was a good author.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Good genre fiction author cannot be said in a way that doesn't sound sarcastic.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
He's okay I guess but after all the internet hype about how it's the creepiest darkest scariest poo poo ever actually reading it was underwhelming. Pyramid Head is definitely the pinnacle of "seriously, this is what everyone says is so drat scary?" but Lovecraft stories are a close second

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

PinkoBastard posted:

I do like Lovecraft's writing a lot, I think it should be available and that people should check it out. but dude, Mark Twain didn't write things like:

"The negro had been knocked out, and a moment’s examination shewed us that he would permanently remain so. He was a loathsome, gorilla-like thing, with abnormally long arms which I could not help calling fore legs, and a face that conjured up thoughts of unspeakable Congo secrets and tom-tom poundings under an eerie moon."

conan doyle wrote stuff pretty much exactly like that

he also made the KKK a supervillian

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The Re-Animator, it's giant Negro zombie notwithstanding, is a fantastic Lovecraft story that feels far less derivative than a lot of his works. In particular, it's one of those great examples of the Lovecraft Finish: a long, flowery "short" story whose gruesome finish is literally two paragraphs.

I think Re-Animator and Colour Out of Space are his best, having read most of his poo poo.

The Dream-Quests and At the Mountains of Madness get a lot of points from me for ambition and weirdness despite being mediocre to bad stories themselves

^to the above dude, I'll defend Lovecraft a lot but the dude was a seriously hosed up racist. His peers in the goddamn 20s thought he should calm down. He was good pals with Robert E. Howard, writer of the Conan series and a man never noted for racial sensitivity, and he's been on record telling HP to chill with the whole black people thing

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I like Stuart Gordon movies. :)

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
i always liked "Incomprehensible Music of Erich Zahn" or whatever its called. Really short but well written imho

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Mordja posted:

Yeah agreed

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Mordja posted:

:same:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

PinkoBastard posted:

was that about the protagonist's portuguese grandma?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
For those who hate Lovecraft, you should read the Dream Cycle or whatever it is. I think it's probably his most seminal work in a lot of ways--it's basically a straightforward fantasy adventure but it feels the most "personal" of his works. It's about him, and how he sees things, and it's got so much fantastic imagery, it's something that begs for a great big budget adaptation.

Lovecraft today would be a Tumblrite pure and simple. The guy loves cats and thinks they have magic powers; the main character rides a giant cat from the moon to the earth.

I imagine Lovecraft as a kind of bitter shut-in who is terminally, terribly shy. He seems to be the kind of guy literally scared of everything. He's a much more pitiable character than loathsome in my mind, he probably was never a happy soul.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Everything good about Lovecraft was stolen from The King in Yellow, op.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

For those who hate Lovecraft, you should read the Dream Cycle or whatever it is. I think it's probably his most seminal work in a lot of ways--it's basically a straightforward fantasy adventure but it feels the most "personal" of his works. It's about him, and how he sees things, and it's got so much fantastic imagery, it's something that begs for a great big budget adaptation.

Lovecraft today would be a Tumblrite pure and simple. The guy loves cats and thinks they have magic powers; the main character rides a giant cat from the moon to the earth.

That sounds retarded.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

That sounds retarded.

Yes, but in a good way. It ends with Nyarlathotep just being an O.G. in some island castle.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

That sounds retarded.

Yep, that's the Dream-Cycle in a nutshell.

I give it credit mainly for being weird/ambitious and because Nyarlathotep is the coolest thing HP came up with

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

gently caress no

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I imagine Lovecraft as a kind of bitter shut-in who is terminally, terribly shy. He seems to be the kind of guy literally scared of everything. He's a much more pitiable character than loathsome in my mind, he probably was never a happy soul.

would tumblr have made lovecraft less racist

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ -- No, definitely the opposite.

The Dream Cycle would have some awesome visuals if it was adapted. That ought to be Peter Jackson's next project, tons of creepy monsters and great sets he could build with his New Zealand dollars. I think the Underworld has a valley of skeletons or corpses or something, hardcore Dark Souls poo poo.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
I picked up "The New Annotated HP Lovecraft" by Leslie Klinger that came out a couple years ago. I highly recommend reading it because he sheds A LOT of light on Lovecraft, and his works.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
I have a feeling that if Lovecraft were alive today, he would post on /pol/ and praise based Milo.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Mordja posted:

Tangentially related, one problem I have with a bunch of Lovecraft adaptations/spinoffs is the fact that they tend to make Cthulhu and pals actively malevolent, rather than uncaring and completely, psychologically alien.

To be fair there are 1 or 2 or 1000 or so of them who are complete assholes just for the sake of it, and they are all Nyarlothotep.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Lovecraft would be exactly as racist, but he'd also identify as genderfluid

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Or maybe he would NOT be racist??? What if!!

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Lovecraft would be exactly as racist, but he'd also identify as genderfluid

FYAD is what I imagine Azathoth's thought process to look like.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Dreddout posted:

FYAD is what I imagine Azathoth's thought process to look like.

Yeah well he IS the idiot god.

Anyways if y'all like books that are really good and have some relation to 'ol Lovecraft, Jonathan L Howard writes good books like these two

Anyways the Cabal book is the 3rd one the first 2 aren't very lovecraft-y. (But are very good)

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Dreddout posted:

I have a feeling that if Lovecraft were alive today, he would post on /pol/ and praise based Milo.

lovecraft didn't like hitler because he thought that hitler was a buffoon

he liked hitler's policies though

HollywoodDialysis
Jan 19, 2005

not doing nothing
Grimey Drawer
He is a good author.

He was also a good racist.

Are the two mutually exclusive? Perhaps the answer is in the middle...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

gannyGrabber posted:

Or maybe he would NOT be racist??? What if!!

to be fair if he wasnt racist he wouldnt have written any of the stuff that made him famous

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

corn in the bible posted:

to be fair if he wasnt racist he wouldnt have written any of the stuff that made him famous

yeah, this

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Mordja posted:

Tangentially related, one problem I have with a bunch of Lovecraft adaptations/spinoffs is the fact that they tend to make Cthulhu and pals actively malevolent, rather than uncaring and completely, psychologically alien.

What about the spinoffs that make them into cute girls?

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
Robert E Howard and Clark Ashton Smith were better stylists imo.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
I hope there's some situation where Hemingway and Lovecraft hung out or something and Hemingway just bullied the poo poo out of him

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Robert E Howard and Clark Ashton Smith were better stylists imo.

Was coming in here to post this about Howard. I think he's my favorite pulp author and he's also a prototypical goon.

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014
He wrote for pulp fiction mags in the early 20th century, what do you think, OP?

The quality in his works is all over the place, some stories are really well written and others are fanfic bad. At least when he wrote about the Mythos it felt more allegoric than literal.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Good Lovecraft is good. Bad Lovecraft is August Derleth.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
is the the guy that wrote "money for nothin"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Depends how racist you are

• Locked thread