Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is H. P. Lovecraft a good author?
Yes
No
View Results

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
But it IS heavy and clumsy though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Nathilus posted:

Same with the shadow out of time. Dude got to experience an utterly alien (not to mention godlike) culture in utter safety and comfort, then was put back more or less exactly as he was found. Where do I sign up for a yith field trip. On the other hand, oh no! Evil polyps! (Just dont gently caress with them or go underground. It's fine).

presumably when the great race bitched out and quantum leaped into the far future beetlefolk, the beetlebros must have woke up flailing around in unfamiliar bodies while semi ethereal floating tumors systematically sandblasted them to death. so imo the yith are a bunch of jerks and pussies who rely on easy lightning gun frags and logging to bump their K/D.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Helical Nightmares posted:

Enjoy

Join us here for Cosmic horror/Lovecraft/some general horror discussion: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461819

To expand on the latter comment from Fellbat, I'd recommend Laird Barron. A majority of his protagonists are anti-Lovecraftian; hard drinking brawler thugs or doughty frontiersmen who work with their hands. All of his protagonists have an intelligence that belies their appearance. This actually makes the stories more frighting.

Index of free Laird Barron stories online:

http://www.freesfonline.de/authors/Laird_Barron.html

From the freely available stories I recommend "Shiva, Open Your Eye", "The Forest", "Blackwood's Baby" and "Frontier Death Song" to start. Note the latter is an audiodrama and worth listening to.

Definitely read Thomas Ligotti

"Litany of Earth" by Ruthana Emrys is very good: http://www.tor.com/2014/05/14/the-litany-of-earth-ruthanna-emrys/

Victorian Age Cthulhu by Neil Gaiman "A Study In Emerald": http://www.neilgaiman.com/mediafiles/exclusive/shortstories/emerald.pdf

I have been collecting the short stories by Michael Minnis, a forgotten excellent author. He produced 41 well written Lovecraftian tales in the late 90s early 2000s and published them in online free magazines. I had to find most of these in the Internet Archive. I'm just re hosting these stories. I do not benefit financially. He is a good author and needs to be brought back into the light.

Make sure you read Shadow Over Innsmouth and The Dunwitch Horror (HPL both) first.

"I Walk the World's Black Rim" is a beowulf retelling. "Knuckerhole" and "Bones of a Toad" are easy to jump into.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t6792v35951vg/Mike_Minnis_Wayback_Machine_Archive

Decent Bibliography of Mythos stories:

http://www.epberglund.com/RGttCM/cmnet01a.htm

Thanks for this. "I walk the world's black rim "loving ruled. I don't think the spoiler is really a spoiler since its what actually pushed me to read it. Awesome stuff.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Just read King in Yellow

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
neil gaiman wrote the ghostbusters reboot lmao gently caress that guy

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Thanks for this. "I walk the world's black rim "loving ruled. I don't think the spoiler is really a spoiler since its what actually pushed me to read it. Awesome stuff.

It's one of Michael Minnis better works I think. I really really like the ending, and the ending after the ending. It really encapsulates this existential cosmic horror.

The story goes from "who is the true monster?" to does the question even matter? what a curious worry these humans have

If you like what you read, throw Michael Minnis a couple bucks (ok $3) and get Your Poisoned Dreams: Horror Stories

https://www.amazon.com/Your-Poisoned-Dreams-Horror-Stories-ebook/dp/B00JPBN0DO#nav-subnav

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
edgar allen poo lmao

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wtf Michael, respect your loving work. 2.33. Dude isn't even getting 70% when he gives it away. Bought anyway.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
edgar allen poo - aka - the dook of spook

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

This thread has more angry defences of lovecrafts racism (lots) than attacks on lovecrafts racism (none) and i think thats the damndest thing

Internaut! posted:

it's almost like people who are programmed not to be able to get past "X = racist" come up with other excuses to avoid X so they don't seem like small minded ideologues

Heres a random one

reallivedinosaur posted:

Mark Twain was ok but some of his books deal with "racist" stuff so I declare it unreadable I am very sensitive to the feelings of people I never intend to spend any time or attention on.

Heres another lmao

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

reallivedinosaur posted:

neil gaiman wrote the ghostbusters reboot lmao gently caress that guy

No he didn't.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

8-Bit Scholar posted:

No he didn't.

he did so go watch it and wait for the credits its the last one to scroll by

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Let's all tell this goonlord that we find his views on race problematic that will definitely teach him a lesson he needs to learn sooner or later and plus we can show everybody how enlightened we are.

(In case you can't tell I'm upset I wasn't selected the gently caress is wrong with my angry defence of eldritch racism)

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
mark twain named a character the "n" word

thank god nobody will print that filth anymore without censoring it

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

reallivedinosaur posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostbusters:_Answer_the_Call

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1289401/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_wr#writers

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

No, you have to watch it yourself. It's an easter egg. Wikipedia and IMDB are in on it, and aren't including him in the credits.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

reallivedinosaur posted:

So you're exploring this Antarctic ruin you just excavated out of the ice and you're alone in a dark cyclopean ruin with noneuclidian corridors branching off in all directions and then from a tunnel you know goddamn well no human being could possibly be down you hear a "human" voice calling for help alternating with penguin calls.

This post is like that except getting the flesh eaten off your bones by an amorphous congeries of carnivorous bubbles you watch Ghostbusters.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

he "ghost wrote" it

hes only in the actual movie credits you have to go pay money to see the movie in a theater its the big surprise at the end, so funny how they reveal it

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Shoggoths are basically grey goo gone sentient, and are thus kind of existentially terrifying.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

I am obsessed with the racism of a dead author

Edited for clarity.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
I like The Rats in the Wall a lot

generational taint of so called nobility, horrific truths behind local folklore, unimaginable depravity of man secretly extending beyond prehistory, proto-hardboiled noir detective narration style

but the cats name

jesus hp

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

Voted all and for once it wasn't ironically. That is pretty much the actual answer

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Also I think Deep Ones are rad, in case you can't tell from my username and avatar

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pththya-lyi posted:

Also I think Deep Ones are rad, in case you can't tell from my username and avatar

Lovecraft rad, vaginas are terrifying. Yes, it was all very well spelled out from your username and avatar. Well done.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Lovecraft rad, vaginas are terrifying. Yes, it was all very well spelled out from your username and avatar. Well done.

TBF all genitals are gross-looking

I still like dudes, though

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Helical Nightmares posted:

It's one of Michael Minnis better works I think. I really really like the ending, and the ending after the ending. It really encapsulates this existential cosmic horror.

The story goes from "who is the true monster?" to does the question even matter? what a curious worry these humans have

If you like what you read, throw Michael Minnis a couple bucks (ok $3) and get Your Poisoned Dreams: Horror Stories

https://www.amazon.com/Your-Poisoned-Dreams-Horror-Stories-ebook/dp/B00JPBN0DO#nav-subnav

The question of who is the true monster, I'm spoiling now : I walk the black rim is a retelling of beowulf, is a similar question raised in John Gardners 1984 Grendel. It's a first person, very contemporary take on beowulf from grendels perspective and while not horror, I highly recommend

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I also wanna reiterate, dumbass Mike is literally only earning 69 cents per purchase on that kindle collection cause the mother fucker is selling below the 70% 2.99 threshold

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Has anybody recommended Ruthanna Emrys' The Litany of Earth? 'Cause I liked it.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
You guys know that there are literally so many talented authors that have been judged accordingly by history that you could spend a lifetime reading them all, yet you read lovely third rate genre fiction authors? Why are you wasting your time on that poo poo.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

One of my all-time favorite authors who explicitly referenced Lovecraft as an influence was Roger Zelazny. That dude wrote some great stuff.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

You guys know that there are literally so many talented authors that have been judged accordingly by history that you could spend a lifetime reading them all, yet you read lovely third rate genre fiction authors? Why are you wasting your time on that poo poo.

Because it's fun. Why do you post on SA?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainSarcastic posted:

One of my all-time favorite authors who explicitly referenced Lovecraft as an influence was Roger Zelazny. That dude wrote some great stuff.

There is absolutely no denying his influence. Anyone who thinks that is up for debate is a moron. He just kind of sucked, like the fictional author Kilgore Trout that Kurt Vonnegut talks about in his novels.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Edited for clarity.

Forget lovecraft this joker needs to learn how to read, period😂

(My post was commenting on the number of defences of lovecraft despite nobody having attacked lovecraft. In your rush to do the same you've mistaken my post for the first such attack :pipe:)

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pththya-lyi posted:

Because it's fun. Why do you post on SA?

To poke people and see if they will stand up and defend what they think or immediately crumble.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Forget lovecraft this joker needs to learn how to read, period😂

(My post was commenting on the number of defences of lovecraft despite nobody having attacked lovecraft. In your rush to do the same you've mistaken my post for the first such attack :pipe:)

I'm terribly sorry if it was a misfire - your avatar just makes me irrationally angry.

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene

There is absolutely no denying his influence. Anyone who thinks that is up for debate is a moron. He just kind of sucked, like the fictional author Kilgore Trout that Kurt Vonnegut talks about in his novels.

if you think lord of light is poo poo you are, in fact, poo poo

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

To poke people and see if they will stand up and defend what they think or immediately crumble.

I'm not seeing what I need to defend here. I agree that Lovecraft is pretty lovely and dumb, and I also agree that there's better work out there that deserves more attention. We just disagree over whether or not dumb genre fiction is fun or not.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

A Tasteful Nude posted:

I like The Rats in the Wall a lot

generational taint of so called nobility, horrific truths behind local folklore, unimaginable depravity of man secretly extending beyond prehistory, proto-hardboiled noir detective narration style

but the cats name

jesus hp

its named after his real life cat who he loved very much

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Jose Mengelez posted:

presumably when the great race bitched out and quantum leaped into the far future beetlefolk, the beetlebros must have woke up flailing around in unfamiliar bodies while semi ethereal floating tumors systematically sandblasted them to death. so imo the yith are a bunch of jerks and pussies who rely on easy lightning gun frags and logging to bump their K/D.

Law of the jungle dawg: survive. I don't deny it was a bit of a dick move but its also Not My Problem. The humans they interact with merely get to go on a cool athropological (xenopological?) field trip and are then deposited safely back in their meat husks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
One shouldnt judge lovecrafts stories by todays standards imo.
I mean the "Great Race" were basically cones with 4 tentacles or something like that?
This would get you laughed out of any pre school today, but back then it might have horrified people.

Its like saying the Wright Brothers were poo poo at building aircraft cause their plane didnt look like an F16.

• Locked thread