Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Node posted:

John Smedley

mom's spaghetti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Even his name sounds sleazy. Like he should be twirling his mustache with the likes of Dick Dastardly. You'd have to change his first name to Simon though. Snivelin' Simon Smedley

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Just as a reminder, 5 hours left on indiegogo, $15 for late October access.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hero-s-song-game-rpg/x/11565143#/

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 8, 2016

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I'm in for $93,715 (I'm the only backer currently)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Alexander I hope you get paid for how hard you shill out garbage.

I haven't seen an open paid shill here since monster with 21 faces.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
One day one of these games is gonna come out, it's going to be great and you'll be wishing you clicked on my indiegogo link. You may get the game (for double the price) but I'll always have the exclusive Kickstarter emblem next to my name. We'll see who is laughing then :dukedog:

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 8, 2016

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Sad thing is, the idea behind the game is neat. It sounds like Dwarf Fortress with more focus on adventuring and nation building from a single person perspective than muddling through the UI.

loving lol at Smedley and company actually putting out a decent product though.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 8, 2016

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Archonex posted:

loving lol at Smedley and company actually putting out a [...] product though.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Well, statistically one of these Ultima Online clones has to succeed eventually... maybe THIS one will be the one that isn't a massive steaming pile of poo poo that nobody ever plays.

Like I get chaos theory and parallel universes and all that but a UO clone suceeding is a provably impossible event

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Byolante posted:

Like I get chaos theory and parallel universes and all that but a UO clone suceeding is a provably impossible event

UO was a pioneer of a game, and people didn't know what they were getting into. That is why there were wolves and sheep, the sheep being the kind of person you could PK, steal from, and kill their pack mule carrying ore outside of town just because you felt like being a dick. All MMORPGs today have safe-measures against non-consensual aggression because of UO. So yeah I think its impossible. Consider yourself a lucky person to have been able to play in those days.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Apparently the game will have a playable client out for early adopters in late october. So at least we won't be waiting for years on end for this to finally tank if it does. Either it makes it or it doesn't.

Not going to lie. If they can at least get the client out I might drop some cash on getting access to it. I'm a sucker for decent world gen stuff so long as it actually matters and isn't random fluff. This is presuming that it's not like a $30 no refunds purchase.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Node posted:

UO was a pioneer of a game, and people didn't know what they were getting into. That is why there were wolves and sheep, the sheep being the kind of person you could PK, steal from, and kill their pack mule carrying ore outside of town just because you felt like being a dick. All MMORPGs today have safe-measures against non-consensual aggression because of UO. So yeah I think its impossible. Consider yourself a lucky person to have been able to play in those days.

The UO producers have said that they were amazed on how much people were complete dicks in the game. It completely caught them off guard after release the game brought the worst out of people and it became a bloodbath.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

jabro posted:

The UO producers have said that they were amazed on how much people were complete dicks in the game. It completely caught them off guard after release the game brought the worst out of people and it became a bloodbath.

And it was glorious.

Stripping myself down to enough reagents to quickly cast explosion and flamestrike on someones pack mule in town, killing it more than half the time before I got guard whacked was so god drat entertaining and hilarious.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

jabro posted:

I recall people saying that they had a bunch of systems in the early days that they had to quickly disable since it quickly became apparent that human beings are bloodthirsty monsters when divorced from consequences.

There was this story that the monsters and animals in the world used to repopulate and could become extinct. The players hit the servers like some sort of hosed up ravenous horde of electronic locusts and left a trail of death and destruction in their wake that left an increasingly empty world. They tried boosting the rate of spawns but all it did was feed the horde and make more people appear out of the ether to take part in the slaughter.

No clue if that's true but goddamn. That's both horrifying and loving metal. Humanity is the greatest video game antagonist, apparently.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Archonex posted:

I recall people saying that they had a bunch of systems in the early days that they had to quickly disable since it quickly became apparent that human beings are bloodthirsty monsters when divorced from consequences.

There was this story that the monsters and animals in the world used to repopulate and could become extinct. The players hit the servers like some sort of hosed up ravenous horde of electronic locusts and left a trail of death and destruction in their wake that left an increasingly empty world. They tried boosting the rate of spawns but all it did was feed the horde and make more people appear out of the ether to take part in the slaughter.

No clue if that's true but goddamn. That's both horrifying and loving metal. Humanity is the greatest video game antagonist, apparently.

I think I remember 1000 years ago reading in magazine previews of something similar to that. That the world had an ecosystem the players could affect and upset the balance of. It was probably No Man's Sky level of hype.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

It was something like the animals had schedules like eating and sleeping or something like that. They would hunt each other and so forth. If I remember correctly the code to do all that basically ground the game to a standstill and they had to scrap it.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Node posted:

I think I remember 1000 years ago reading in magazine previews of something similar to that. That the world had an ecosystem the players could affect and upset the balance of. It was probably No Man's Sky level of hype.

Peter Molyneux's B.C.? Basically a prehistoric survival game with dinosaurs that was supposed to come out back in 2002 on the original Xbox.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Peter Molyneux's B.C.? Basically a prehistoric survival game with dinosaurs that was supposed to come out back in 2002 on the original Xbox.

I'm talking about Ultima Online.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The problem with a simulated ecosystem is once you drop in packs of ravenous muderhobos (players) exactly what you expect happens and it all becomes a barren wasteland pretty much immediately.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

jabro posted:

To be fair it was an Ultima game and the players were probably just playing like they usually played Ultima.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

the only game that sort of managed to have an ecosystem is wakfu but players can plant monsters to repopulate and are rewarded for keeping the populations within certain ranges

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Percelus posted:

the only game that sort of managed to have an ecosystem is wakfu but players can plant monsters to repopulate and are rewarded for keeping the populations within certain ranges

aww, I would have loved to plant baby Mongbats and baby Headlesses

bestovv
Feb 6, 2016
Hey guys I'm currently recruiting for my Hero's Song guild <Lizard Squad>. If you're interested send me your guild history and experience ddos'ing stuff.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

They didnt even reach half of their target. Looks like Smed has well and truly burned through any remaining good will people had towards him.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Five day delay. Launches October 31st.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 27, 2016

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Where's the info on this? Their website hasn't been updated since Sept. 9th.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Dustoph posted:

Where's the info on this? Their website hasn't been updated since Sept. 9th.

I got it from indiegogo email since I backed it. It might be on the site.

Yep it's all here
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hero-s-song-game-rpg#/updates

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Archonex posted:

loving lol at Smedley and company actually putting out a decent product though.

Planetside 2 was really fun so maybe the naysayers will be wrong about Everquest Next

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
keys are going out soon

Anyone else put $15 into this?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah, though because it might be an interesting roguelike than because of the MMO stuff.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Been playing around with it for about 2-3 hours now and I am really impressed with the procedural generation. Usually I hate procedural generation but there's enough variety here and control for it not to be annoying. Depending on the gods you select, it increases and decreases things in the world so it can change the prominence of the various races, how much of the world is settled, how civilized it is, how the climate of your world is, whether it's rather peaceful or a state of eternal war. The landmasses look and feel great and I love how it generates 10,000 years of history and lore. Combat is fun, haven't messed around with much else but there's a lot of classes. Menus are broken, back buttons don't work, but when you're playing the game, you're having a good time and that's what's important.

Also I thought that the art style was horrendous in the video but I don't mind it in game. Either I'm not noticing it because it's more tolerable in action or they changed it. $15 well spent.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Guess no one else took the risk lol.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Well they only had 3005 backers, at least from that Indiegogo thing. I honestly forgot this thing even existed. I'd have thrown 15 bucks at it just for another single player roguelike to play when I'm bored but I have zero faith in Smed striking oil with anything serious ever again and could care less about any MMO aspects outside what I could do in games like Starbound and Terraria.

If beta does start on the 7th like some dev cycle graphic they have says, I'll throw $15 at it. I've bought a lot worse for more that had Smedley's stench all over it.

EDIT: Actually, the Bat noises. gently caress me running please turn that scream poo poo down.

Givin fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 4, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
That was a bug with the sound volume settings, it's fixed now.

That said, there ain't poo poo to do in the game currently unless you want to grind for ~6 hours to reach level 50 and ascend, so hold off.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Yeah. From what i've seen from people talking about it it's very early alpha. This is a real "Buy now if you want to get in early and watch the game develop." sort of deal. Incidentally the game was listed a few hours ago as releasing into early access on Steam on November 7. Now it's early November.

I will say that it looks like they're making good progress. They've got basic world gen done and seem to be moving extremely rapidly development wise. It's still a gamble to buy it at this stage though.

Steam reviews are going to trash the thing too since it's really early alpha and people don't get that buying an early access game means you will have access to an incomplete project.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 14, 2016

forge
Feb 26, 2006
I much preferred the really old alpha gfx (all 2d) over these 3d character with 2d background.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
You can buy this on steam now for what is sure to be a wise investment.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
It's a better investment than SC as they already have a playable alpha.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

forge posted:

High standards in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

forge posted:

One might argue you actually have a wider array of activities to do in the SC alpha. (Not that they're any fun.)

One would be right.

• Locked thread