Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
20 bucks? God damnit Smedley. Here's to hoping there's one huge update between now and mid-December, but I won't hold my breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
20 bucks? God damnit Smedley. Here's to hoping there's one huge update between now and mid-December, but I won't hold my breath.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Node posted:

I'm talking about Ultima Online.

Early access perks for ultima online include a tower gated in by 3 small houses, right next to the yew moongate. Games today can't beat that type of real estate. I was always jealous of the castle owners with a small house on their roof.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I expected more of you idiots to buy this so I could read about your experiences in this broke rear end game. They seem to be updating it a lot but unsurprisingly it also sounds too unfinished to be any fun.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Comrayn posted:

I expected more of you idiots to buy this so I could read about your experiences in this broke rear end game. They seem to be updating it a lot but unsurprisingly it also sounds too unfinished to be any fun.

there's really nothing to do in the game right now. you can walk around and click enemies and sell items to npcs, that's about it

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Never stopped Albion :grin:

forge
Feb 26, 2006
I've been keeping up with this and watching some streams. AO is 90% more complete than this. While HS has an interesting foundation it seems like they lack almost everything that constitutes a game currently. Since they have almost nothing I imagine updates will bring in lots of basic stuff quickly. But the game looks extremely rough and unpolished from what I see.

I would place this in the SC of game types category currently.

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012
Looks like they may be "Pulling a Smed": http://massivelyop.com/2016/12/19/smed-says-heros-song-is-working-through-some-things/

Who woulda thought...

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Hope they pull through, figure their $2 million investment was dependent on sales figures and it didn't do well. I've been revisiting it every update and it's pretty enjoyable as a randomly generated exploration game. Just wish they went with a different aesthetic because that certainly didn't help.

They need to do a full on Everquest Next successor using Storybricks and some of the concepts they had from the planned Star Wars Galaxies "sandbox 2.0" update before someone told them to do the NGE. Maybe even do the Hero's Song thing where people host their own shards.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Game is canceled, studio is closing and everyone is offered a refund.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
:(

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

R I P....

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I blame scam citizen for people not wanting to pay to develop games anymore

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I hope Smed goes to work with McQuaid on Pantheon

Octave
Jan 9, 2008
This is really a shame.

There just doesn't seem to be a big enough market for games like this anymore.

The MMO genre's most addictive and least fun parts have been made use of with free to play mobile games while the more interesting elements have been shown to be unprofitable.

Game buyers don't seem to want a long form game that offers choice. They instead vote with their dollar for a polished on-the-rails experience coupled with skinner boxes.

The most innovative games seem to be ones that are aimed at children who don't seem to have a notion of what a polished game looks like yet. To me, that's the market these games need to start fitting into to make it.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
They probably would have gotten a lot more buzz if they didn't use the garbage pixel art.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
This game screamed terrible from the beginning.

Orange Red Bull posted:

I hope Smed goes to work with McQuaid on Pantheon

It's no less than he deserves.

Although if he has any real pull with McQuaid, he could convince him to adopt more sane design elements rather than just copying EQ wholesale.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Using all the crowd funded money to snort crushed percocet off underage thai hookers doesn't really equate to 'going vegan' though.

...wait- or is that Brad McQuaid?

Alexander DeLarge posted:

One day one of these games is gonna come out, it's going to be great and you'll be wishing you clicked on my indiegogo link. You may get the game (for double the price) but I'll always have the exclusive Kickstarter emblem next to my name. We'll see who is laughing then :dukedog:

Aren't you that same person that thinks Chronicles of Elyria is going to be a thing?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Octave posted:

This is really a shame.

There just doesn't seem to be a big enough market for games like this anymore.

The MMO genre's most addictive and least fun parts have been made use of with free to play mobile games while the more interesting elements have been shown to be unprofitable.

Game buyers don't seem to want a long form game that offers choice. They instead vote with their dollar for a polished on-the-rails experience coupled with skinner boxes.

The most innovative games seem to be ones that are aimed at children who don't seem to have a notion of what a polished game looks like yet. To me, that's the market these games need to start fitting into to make it.

People who are happy to put up with jank play survival sandbox merry go round, same with open full loot pvp. lovely, poorly designed mmos crash and burn near constantly because you play it then realise 'when GW2, FF14 and WoW exist, why am I playing this garbage?'.

Orv
May 4, 2011
And nothing meaningful was lost.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Xolve posted:

Using all the crowd funded money to snort crushed percocet off underage thai hookers doesn't really equate to 'going vegan' though.

...wait- or is that Brad McQuaid?

Aren't you that same person that thinks Chronicles of Elyria is going to be a thing?

McQuaid was the one who routinely stole prescription meds out of his employee's desks. AFAIK Smed never had substance abuse problems.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Smed's problem was abusing his customers if I remember correctly.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Xolve posted:

Not only am I the guy that thinks Chronicles of Elyria is going to be a thing, I'm the guy who spent :20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::10bux:+$5 on it :retrogames:

That reminds me, anyone want to cash out on their LTI Star Citizen ships?

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 27, 2016

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

The only interesting part of all this is speculating where Smed will wash up next.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Even money is on Pantheon.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Poor Smed.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

Poor Smed.

Smed's dead baby,
Smed's dead.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

clone on the phone posted:

The only interesting part of all this is speculating where Smed will wash up next.

I could see him consulting on Ashes of Creation (UE4 sandbox made by EQNext developers)

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Just got this email

quote:

Another quick update - We will start contacting you early next week and begin getting the refunds processed then. This week is getting things organized to begin that work and honestly with the holidays we have some people out with their families. I hope you can understand that part. We assure you 100% of your money will get back to you promptly.

Basically you'll have two choices - either a check, or a paypal refund.

One more final note - I've seen a lot of emails saying "keep my money.. thank you for your hard work". You have no idea how good that makes us feel, but we actually feel the opposite. PLEASE TAKE YOUR MONEY BACK. We took your money in good faith and it is with that same good faith that we want to give it back to you. We believe in crowdfunding and I want us to be one of the happier stories in terms of treating customers right. I hope to run into you at E3 or in a bar or wherever and shake your hands to thank you so much. I'd feel better knowing you have that money back. If you want to invest in another project, check out Project
Resurgence from CohhCarnage's studio. That's more than worthy of your consideration.

Crowdfunding gets a bad name sometimes for not delivering. By taking your money back we're all setting an example for how every crowdfunding project should conduct itself if something goes wrong. We weren't perfect, but there was never a scenario where we would even consider not doing right by you when it comes to your money.

From the bottom of our hearts, thank you.
Smed

I think this redeems the man entirely.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

why is this thread not dead :jerry:

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Smed fails again, in Brad I trust.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
Despite knowing Smedley's track record, I was kind of interested in it back when it hit Kickstarter in January. But I pretty much lost all interest after they cancelled the KS almost immediately, then resurfaced months later having swapped the decent looking retro art style to something I got out of a cereal box in the 90s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAD7QIX32cI&t=229s

I remember thinking their development roadmap was insanely aggressive too. They wanted it launched and live in something like 10 months.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

The art style was kind of what put me off too. The art style in the kickstarter was rad, but the potato-y 3d models that they started using after the kickstarter failed looked super out of place.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Mormon Star Wars posted:

The art style was kind of what put me off too. The art style in the kickstarter was rad, but the potato-y 3d models that they started using after the kickstarter failed looked super out of place.

I think I remember the pixel stuff but I missed the potato graphics. Would love to see that.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

clone on the phone posted:

I think I remember the pixel stuff but I missed the potato graphics. Would love to see that.

Here was the way characters were drawn in the kickstarter:

And here is after:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

This is the artist we want....... and this is the artist we can afford.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
drat I was checking on this game every six months or so. At least I can check it off the list.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
See you guys in Smedley's new game that he's making for Amazon New World, thread coming soon

forge
Feb 26, 2006
You'll be able to buy virtual bullets to load in your musket for amazon points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

forge posted:

You'll be able to buy virtual bullets to load in your musket for amazon points.

As long as I can point it at my virtual head to blow my virtual brains out.

• Locked thread