Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Sad thing is, the idea behind the game is neat. It sounds like Dwarf Fortress with more focus on adventuring and nation building from a single person perspective than muddling through the UI.

loving lol at Smedley and company actually putting out a decent product though.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Apparently the game will have a playable client out for early adopters in late october. So at least we won't be waiting for years on end for this to finally tank if it does. Either it makes it or it doesn't.

Not going to lie. If they can at least get the client out I might drop some cash on getting access to it. I'm a sucker for decent world gen stuff so long as it actually matters and isn't random fluff. This is presuming that it's not like a $30 no refunds purchase.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

jabro posted:

The UO producers have said that they were amazed on how much people were complete dicks in the game. It completely caught them off guard after release the game brought the worst out of people and it became a bloodbath.

I recall people saying that they had a bunch of systems in the early days that they had to quickly disable since it quickly became apparent that human beings are bloodthirsty monsters when divorced from consequences.

There was this story that the monsters and animals in the world used to repopulate and could become extinct. The players hit the servers like some sort of hosed up ravenous horde of electronic locusts and left a trail of death and destruction in their wake that left an increasingly empty world. They tried boosting the rate of spawns but all it did was feed the horde and make more people appear out of the ether to take part in the slaughter.

No clue if that's true but goddamn. That's both horrifying and loving metal. Humanity is the greatest video game antagonist, apparently.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Yeah. From what i've seen from people talking about it it's very early alpha. This is a real "Buy now if you want to get in early and watch the game develop." sort of deal. Incidentally the game was listed a few hours ago as releasing into early access on Steam on November 7. Now it's early November.

I will say that it looks like they're making good progress. They've got basic world gen done and seem to be moving extremely rapidly development wise. It's still a gamble to buy it at this stage though.

Steam reviews are going to trash the thing too since it's really early alpha and people don't get that buying an early access game means you will have access to an incomplete project.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 14, 2016

• Locked thread