Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

:page3:

every fuckin year they ask themselves the same question

how dumb is our userbase

so far the sky is the limit.

android is empirically better in almost every way and apple is still wildly popular with the DUI set. Go figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I fully expect they'll announce in a years time a version with headphone jack reincluded

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

935 posted:

"Ahh yes, finally my music sounds logical" *has aspergers, doesn't understand how speakers work*

Nerds often forget that speakers, microphones, and your ears are all "analog" so the whole analog VS digital thing is a bunch of silly horse poo poo

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I mean why take away an option to use something

my old Galaxy S5 already can use wireless headphones, if I wanted that

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

I mean why take away an option to use something

my old Galaxy S5 already can use wireless headphones, if I wanted that

my old s5 has a battery extender and removable storage built into it. why the gently caress would i want to 'upgrade' to something that doesn't allow me both of those features

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

hth posted:

every fuckin year they ask themselves the same question

how dumb is our userbase

so far the sky is the limit.

android is empirically better in almost every way and apple is still wildly popular with the DUI set. Go figure.

My lord :prepop:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hth posted:

my old s5 has a battery extender and removable storage built into it. why the gently caress would i want to 'upgrade' to something that doesn't allow me both of those features

I really do not want to let go of expandable storage and battery swapping, yeah

as of now it runs everything perfectly fine too so I may just buy another one when it dies unless it just can't run stuff quickly enough

I got rid of my last phone because it would take it like 20 seconds to boot into gmail and had real issues running Maps and that was kind of it for the Droid HD Maxx

thing had a pretty great battery life, though

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
If you're talking about low bars Apple just needs to make a phone that doesn't explode during use

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
I bought one of these ages ago

its nice b/c I can use whatever set of headphones I want adn never have cords running to the phone.

soon after I got it the shirt clip failed, which was a blessing in disguise

I now hang it on a lanyard around my neck, right at about heart level, inside my shirt, outside my t-shirt

earbids are plugged in and run under my left shoulder up my back, out the back of my collar and dangle on my chest - just long enough that I can tuck them into a shirt pocket when not in use

they go for ~10 hours on a charge, easy

real good BT range, too. I can be out doing yardwork or washing the car etc. for hours without worrying about damaging my phone - mostly because its sitting safely out of harm's reach 20+ yards away

the only thing I don't like about them is the volume control. its touch sensitive, and has a tendency to go to full or min volume if it comes into contact with a sweaty shirt. Some sort of volume lock would be gold.

in short : lol @ Apple for coming up with a $170 solution to a $40 problem

e : aaaaaa fucktypos

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 8, 2016

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I can still plug my Sennheisers in my android, and I don't give a poo poo when a new version of my phone comes out.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Well by removing it they were able to make the phone thinner. Oh wait no they didn't. Well they had to remove it to make it waterproof. Oh wait no they didn't tons of phones have them and are waterproof. Well then they had to remove them to make money off their ugly Bluetooth earrings. Wait yes that actually probably is it.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

unpacked robinhood posted:

Did they to justify the proprietary Bluetooth ? Its pretty nice being able to pair with a car or a stereo and blast your rad thunes.

The justification is "you will purchase adaptors when you are told because you cannot stop yourself and we know it. Giveth unto us and we will allow you to consume as it is written so shall it be."

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I can still plug my Sennheisers in my android, and I don't give a poo poo when a new version of my phone comes out.

Same :hfive:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aeka 2.0 posted:

smartphone makers are desperately struggling to include something that justifies purchasing a new phone that for most intents and purposes is the same piece of shiny obsidian you had before

the newer Samsung Galaxy and Note phones have little weird rounded touchscreen extension edges because... different

It's New; Buy It

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

RedMage129 posted:

The justification is "you will purchase adaptors when you are told because you cannot stop yourself and we know it. Giveth unto us and we will allow you to consume as it is written so shall it be."

Calling it now - next to go will be the volume buttons. Who needs physical buttons when you can use the on screen display? Say goodbye to the power button and silent switch too, they don't fit with the seamless aesthetic Apple is aiming for. Pundits will trip over each other to be first to remind you the uproar when Apple released a phone without a physical keyboard.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
They should pay their tax bill before trying to look all cool and ask us for more money :argh:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
If you buy a phone without an SD card you are trash.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The justification was the shrinking sales of smartphones. Their team sat around examining where they could make up the profit, and noticed that they are spending money putting an open and unlicensable connector in their product. They noticed that they aren't making any money on headphones despite paying for a manufacturing contract. Most iPhone users use the freebies they got in the box until they break and then usually buy another company's headphones. How much money are these other companies making, and why aren't those companies forced to pay Apple for manufacturing their product for use with an iPhone?

Simple solution to all of this - make those other headphone manufacturers pay a licensing fee to Apple to use the lightning connector. Alternatively, the customer can use an adapter. Include one with the phone which will break or be lost eventually and must be replaced with another made by Apple. The key is nothing can be connected to that phone that isn't an Apple product or a licensed product. And heck let's make an encrypted bluetooth channel using the existing antenna so we can sell proprietary wireless headphones too.

I think it was smart as hell on Apple's part.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

buttcrackmenace posted:

in short : lol @ Apple for coming up with a $170 solution to a $40 problem

to be fair, that's like their business model basically

Danger Mahoney posted:

I think it was smart as hell on Apple's part.

Idk if you want to see how "annoy the user in order to nickel and dime them in the pettiest ways" as a business strategy works I think you should see how video game companies who do the same end up murdering established well liked IPs which also had rabid fanbases.

They should make their core product better instead of just playing catch up with features like water resistance that other phones have had for years at this point. They're selling a premium phone at a premium price and built a huge following around that and now they're shooting the premium phone thing in the foot thinking their brand name will carry them forever but it won't.

At one point I feel like the iPhone was legit better for the average user. It was slick. It just worked. It wasn't fiddly. Now it's some bullshit where they tell you "just hold it different lmao" when the antenna doesn't work.

They had a revolutionary product with the iPod. They arguably had a revolutionary product in the iPhone (yeah the tech existed already but they put it together in a slick way and marketed it well). What the gently caress do they have now? A watch???

Decebal posted:

They should pay their tax bill before trying to look all cool and ask us for more money :argh:

e: and in effort to protect that brand image they continue shooting themselves in the foot in China by refusing to release a cheaper version of the phone with some cheaper casing or whatever to actually break into the market with because "that would gently caress up our branding." Cool dudes you guys are gonna miss out on a massive market then :shrug:

ee: just to drive the point home cuz im a cvck

http://www.wsj.com/articles/chinese-consumers-see-homegrown-features-in-apples-iphone-7-1473302030 posted:

In China, Apple has fallen to fifth place in smartphone sales as Chinese makers have raised their game, offering feature-rich devices for lower prices.

Chinese rivals have also been faster to bring some technical innovations to market, introducing [them] months before Apple trumpeted these improvements in the iPhone 7.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 8, 2016

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Decebal posted:

All that's poo poo now

Unless you managed to hang onto it, and in that case it is decidedly not poo poo:

http://time.com/money/4327764/apple-vintage-ipods-value-ebay/

Last time I checked, the results didn't line up with the cherry picked examples, but I thought it was amazing that anyone would be pining for a gen 1 click wheel enough to drop 4 figures.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I've been an iphone user for years. I also use the included headphones a lot because I make a lot of calls to clients and people I know personally when I'm on the road, and it's a lot easier to do that with headphones. Plus calls sound clearer in stereo.

No way in hell I'm getting the new iphone. Not being able to charge the phone while I'm on a call that could last hours is a deal breaker for me, especially down the road when the phone' s battery loses a bunch of capacity and I still need to be on the phone and use GPS at the same time.

Switching to Android has never been an easier choice than it is right now.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

texasmed posted:

headphone jacks are for analog scrubs.

*Gently lifts tone arm from vinyl record*

the gently caress you just say to me?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

GreatGreen posted:

I've been an iphone user for years. I also use the included headphones a lot because I make a lot of calls to clients and people I know personally when I'm on the road, and it's a lot easier to do that with headphones. Plus calls sound clearer in stereo.

No way in hell I'm getting the new iphone. Not being able to charge the phone while I'm on a call that could last hours is a deal breaker for me, especially down the road when the phone' s battery loses a bunch of capacity and I still need to be on the phone and use GPS at the same time.

you better be careful, all the iphone users in the last apple thread said they didn't want to spend ten hours flashing ROMs and using boot images to use their phone. Android is apparently the most complicated thing ever.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Rufus T. Turnbuckle posted:

*Gently lifts tone arm from vinyl record*

the gently caress you just say to me?

hey check it out an audiophile who cant hear things correctly

im shocked

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

hth posted:

hey check it out an audiophile who cant hear things correctly

im shocked

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
if your phone isnt like 5 years old and cracked youre an rear end in a top hat

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
* Makes anti-consumer moves in order to satisfy shareholders *

* Markets revolt, share price plunges *

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Haverchuck posted:

if your phone isnt like 5 years old and cracked youre not poor

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

ahh the yospos gambit

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Haverchuck posted:

if your phone isnt like 5 years old and cracked youre an rear end in a top hat

If you walk around with a cracked phone you're trash.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Fat Shat Sings posted:

you better be careful, all the iphone users in the last apple thread said they didn't want to spend ten hours flashing ROMs and using boot images to use their phone. Android is apparently the most complicated thing ever.

lol

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
I have absolutely no problem selling overpriced accessories to people willing to pay 20 times more for some weird rear end connector that has ABSOLUTELY NO ADVANTAGES compared to a no name brand handsfree with a jack for 1,49 €. (they come in white too)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

feeling better all the time about my decision to just get an SE to replace my 5 and I'm honestly expecting my next phone to be an android

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

GreatGreen posted:

You use your phone weird / illegally and you can buy a generic Bluetooth hands free kit for :10bux: on amazon.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think that's illegal?

Also if you're talking with clients for hours I can see wanting some crisper audio versus the car speakers and stuff.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Marv Hushman posted:

Unless you managed to hang onto it, and in that case it is decidedly not poo poo:

http://time.com/money/4327764/apple-vintage-ipods-value-ebay/

Last time I checked, the results didn't line up with the cherry picked examples, but I thought it was amazing that anyone would be pining for a gen 1 click wheel enough to drop 4 figures.

uuuhhh there's a box in my parent's house in my old room worth a serious % of my yearly salary lmao.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

I've got like 7 ipods and they all work jsut fine...

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

I don't think that's illegal?

Also if you're talking with clients for hours I can see wanting some crisper audio versus the car speakers and stuff.

Yeah I've never liked bluetooth car audio integration. There's never any high frequencies so calls are always really muffled sounding and every other thing out of your mouth is "what? I'm sorry what was that again?" and the volume/dynamic range is terrible so you either can't hear calls at all or they're blasting you out of the car.

Headphones are better in that one specific, yet valid, instance I think.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If you even use a phone you're trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

a bone to pick posted:

If you even use a phone you're trash.

• Locked thread