Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Soylent Yellow posted:

In the early ipod days, thieves used to look out for people wearing apple earbuds as a sign they had a valuable ipod to steal. Now, they'll just steal the $169 wireless earbuds.

They can't steal what you'll likely lose in a couch cushion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

to be fair, that's like their business model basically

Yep, Apple cuts a feature and passes the savings buck on to you to replace it, preferably with a proprietary version that they sell.

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah I've never liked bluetooth car audio integration. There's never any high frequencies so calls are always really muffled sounding and every other thing out of your mouth is "what? I'm sorry what was that again?" and the volume/dynamic range is terrible so you either can't hear calls at all or they're blasting you out of the car.

Don't forget that all these automobile hacking attempts go through the Bluetooth. Having an active Bluetooth setup is an invitation for hackers to try and do it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Aren't the new bullshit headphones super expensive too? I'd heard somebody saying they cost triple digits.

Yep. $169 MSRP. They have a five hour battery life and are not physically connected, so, lose one of the buds, go buy another pair, sucker.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hahaha, looks like Belkin is making a Lightning-compatible dongle that allows you charge your phone while using headphones. The privilege to do so just costs you $40 bucks.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Stuntman posted:

soon you gonna need an apple branded ear to use an iphone

Sorry, this sound can only be heard by Apple's iCortex auditory cortical implant. Think of augmenting yourself today.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Frankenstyle posted:

"Apple got rid of the headphone jack" sounds like a jaunty ditty sung by a barbershop quartet.

Or the very timely title to a new Amazon bestseller...
https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle/status/774643634050215937

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Yeah, I want a company to go "You know what? gently caress making it slimmer, we made it 1mm thicker and gave you a crazy amount of battery life."

I had to put a case on my Note5 because it was too thin.

The big joke is that we're nearing the end of Moore's Law, where the number of transistors you can fit on a semiconductor chip doubles every 18 months, you can only get so much out of that. It's feature width, the size of an single transistor, has slowed from 22nm in 2012 to 14nm and is believed to be at the 10nm level by 2017. Eventually, Moore's law is going to bottleneck and, suddenly, bigger is better because that CPU isn't going to shrink 2-3 years.

I think the next big thing is really going to be flexible OLED, which may be hitting the market as early as next year. A lot of product demos have been made, but I'm guessing that getting that stuff down to a mass-production level is hard.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Don Tacorleone posted:

Here's a real issue with the i7, grok this poo poo you fagotty fucks

https://mobile.twitter.com/imyke/status/776916630643302402

Apparently you can't use the iPhone 7 home button if you're wearing gloves

They got rid of the headphone jack to make space for a needless barometric vent and larger Taptic Engine, which doesn't even loving work right. Genius.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mange Mite posted:

That's like every phone

Yeah, You can only cram so much power right now before you start getting instability and heat issues. Samsung Galaxy s7 was only on the market for 5 months before those stories of batteries exploding or catching fire started happening. Who knows, we could see the same thing happen with the iPhone, they tend to be made at the same places.

• Locked thread