Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Monkey Fracas posted:

I mean they'll eventually lose people if they keep this up or are people just terrified of switching to a different OS

Apple sales have been lagging for a while now and they're having a lot of trouble breaking in to the lucrative China market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
http://i.imgur.com/FMZyrLT.gifv

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

notZaar posted:

Actually, they sold out yesterday.

Meaningless without knowing how many they stocked in the first place.

Either way the gif is funny :colbert:

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

loquacius posted:

ok not that this really needs a response apart from "lmfao"

but that generalization was born from a long series of observations, like for example that Apple gets away with poo poo no other company would get away with. If they, say, decide to kill off their headphone jack for no reason, within a couple days people on the Internet start saying things like "the 3.5mm jack is trash" and sincerely believe that this was an original opinion they had developed on their own with no outside prompting. This is a real phenomenon which appears unique to Apple, because as in my example, if Microsoft or Sony dares to imply that they take their userbase for granted, that userbase tells them to gently caress themselves. Sorry if ur mad, but that's how it is :shrug:

Remember when MS announced their Xbone and everyone was like 'wtf is this garbage' and they changed the product?

Apple is just no we're brave.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Serrath posted:

Serious question, do American phone plans not offer steep discounts on iphones when you sign up for new contracts? I get a new phone every couple of years on my basic plan, I think I pay about $5 over the monthly cost of the plan for handset repayments and it comes with whatever phone happens to be the latest one. The iPhone release schedule seems to coincide with my contract expiring so I get a new phone every two years. And the $5 is because I wanted a plus instead of the basic phone.

Getting a new phone isn't a status symbol in Australia, it just means your contract ran out and you signed up for a new contract.

They do but it's more like $20-30/mo here for the brand new fancy phones and it isn't a "discount" so much as just financing and you end up paying more than the total retail value of the phone by the time your contract is up most of the time.

Like T-Mobile is doing +$27.09/mo for 24 months for the iPhone 7, which ends up being what the retail cost is ($650) BUT you have to have great credit AND you have to be trading in an iPhone 6 or 6s (worth *at least* $100 if you sell it on your own) and they also tack a $20 one time fee just because gently caress you SIM card fee.

So really it's just another punishment for those who NEED to have the latest crap but are too poor to buy it outright.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 18, 2016

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I buy a decent phone and then I use it until the updates inevitably make it run like rear end and then I buy another one. Typically this is every 2 years or so.

The only people I know who obsessively buy phones are either engineer nerds or people who are broke as hell and working some poo poo job and trying to look flashy. One of the engineer nerd people orders multiple phones from Amazon then returns the ones he doesn't like after his own personal evaluation because he's a massive shithead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

loquacius posted:

High five digits, I'm guessing? Entry-level software engineers make enough to afford gadgets and fancy cars if you don't care about living somewhere cool (he did not)

Yeah that guy I mentioned that gets multiple phones shipped to him so he can pick his favorite one also spends tons on his car and other gadgets and otherwise lives in a relatively meh area of town (he bought a house there) and lives on Domino's and canned tuna from Costco...

$80k-90k/yr

I know another one that is a little bit less of a nerd stereotype but he also makes about $70-80k/yr and is perpetually 'broke' because he wastes all his money away on tech gadgets and drinking on the weekends. I'm talking like paycheck to paycheck stressed about paying the CC bill at the end of the month broke... although I'm pretty sure some of his income goes into a retirement account at least. Doesn't even live in a particularly nice part of town - in fact he just moved into some townhouse with 3 roommates.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 20, 2016

• Locked thread