Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LGD
Sep 25, 2004

feeling better all the time about my decision to just get an SE to replace my 5 and I'm honestly expecting my next phone to be an android

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Aralan posted:

I can't imagine this plays well with the idiot audiophile market, regardless of how using the lightning jack actually affects the sound

well they can probably be sold expensive "special" adapters since the DAC is now going to be external, so it might actually be a win for the spergiest of them

though those dudes are insane so who knows

I'd think it will be a bigger issue for random customers who buy knock off replacement adapters or get exposed to the wonders of bluetooth audio

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

935 posted:

Ok for everyone bitching about how you can't charge and listen to music at the same time, how often are you at 3% battery and say "drat I sure wish I could listen to music right now while charging my phone?" Be honest. I think this is a BS complaint.

Given the typically iffy iPhone battery life I think it's pretty common for people to keep the phone plugged in and listen to music at work. If you want to use headphones for a long conference call and your phone is low on juice it's a potentially serious issue. If you're traveling and want to listen to music or watch a show while on a layover or in your hotel room after a heavy day of use its a problem. There are solutions but they all cost significant money/are inconvenient/are worse than if the phone just had a universally used connector port. It might be ok if the phone offered any sort of unique advantage in return but it very much doesn't.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Danger Mahoney posted:

Yeah the airbuds are proprietary and won't work with anything else. But other bluetooth stuff should work.

That's supposedly not true, the airpods (really want to call them "Airbuds") just require manual pairing with other Bluetooth devices.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

honestly the story for how they settled on that name made total sense to me and though it is pretty silly it also honestly wasn't a bad decision- if you don't know the origin it's a pretty solid name for a computer lady that's quite distinct from Siri and if you do know the origin you laugh but still have a built in association with "helpful AI"

given their track record in similar areas I don't think they were going to come up with anything better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Microsoft Jill

• Locked thread