Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao I thought all the speculation articles were dumb for claiming Apple was planning to remove the standard headphone jack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's sort of annoying since Apple is the only company that's still making a smaller high performance smart phone.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3s-qZsjK8I

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lolling at the whole lightning port will mean better sound quality arguement.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

what a great idea

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

USB-C is very good

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Plugging my phone in without worrying about orientation is awesome

Is it not the same with Lightning? Do I need to worry about which way i plug in my headphone dongle?

Yes both connectors are reversible.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

loquacius posted:

also are we talking about nokias because those ruled

RIP Nokia

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

loquacius posted:

I remember when they invented the USB connector and the micro USB connector and those both worked fine for years, is that the same thing

The older USB connectors were very bad from a mechanical perspective and also some of the horrible made in china cables would use the wrong resistance which could burn out the charging device.

All the above problems got fixed with the never USB-C standard.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Well the nice thing about USB-C is it's a reversible connector similar to the Lightning connector.

Also the default Apple lightning cables have the classic Apple weakness of getting easily damaged around the connector due to bending or how a small kink eventually can
cause the cable jacket peel off.

Best option is to buy a more durable cable like Ankler powerline cables

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

thathonkey posted:

seconding anker. their charging stuff is great and lasts longer/works just as good as the apple ones

The cable design is really good, more durable jacket and handles bending much better without getting the dreaded Apple cable damage problems.

etalian fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 10, 2016

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Germstore posted:

Thinness is still a selling point and at this point they are fighting over tenth of a millimeter. 7.3 mm vs 7.5 mm may not matter in practice, but god help whoever green lit the wireless charging if the new Samsung is 7.4 mm.

It's also one of the bigger reasons why they had to design out the headphone jack.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

jigglemaster7 posted:

thats the most autistic device ive ever seen

someone made a train shaped smartphone?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Because not long after that, this happens.

Ankler lightning cables are so much better designed than the standard apple design

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dreddout posted:

I got my first anker about a two months ago and it's great! For half the price of some poo poo at target I get a usb that doesn't break within a month of moderately heavy usage!

The powerline cables are more expensive than options such as Amazon certified cables but you can often find them online for much less than the ~$20 price.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Literally anything is so much better designed than the standard apple anything deisgn

People always brag about the Genius of apple but they can't design robust adapter cables.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

I thought the Square reader used Bluetooth and the headphone jack was just a holder for the device but nope that's how it communicates with the device like it's a loving dialup modern

:wow:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

also allergic to paying taxes apparently

remember when they testified in front of congress and said that they don't pay taxes because tax code is complicated and they believe in simplicity of design

There's also the recent thing in which the EU called them out for their tax inversion scheme in Ireland.

Ireland is ironically trying to avoid collecting the 15 billion since it wants to stay a low tax Cayman Islands like place for multinational corporations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Ireland's in the awkward position of having to collect taxes from a company it doesn't want to collect taxes from

the government is planning to appeal the ruling that gives Ireland $15 billion.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Durzel posted:

Surely the whole appeal thing is going to be spun out indefinitely until everyone involved in the original sentence (?) has died, or it fades from the public consciousness and just quietly disappears?

Isn't that how usually these things work? It seems intuitively the bigger the sums and players involved, the less likely it's ever going to actually be enforced?

Yes it basically allows Ireland to run out the clock, at least being a tax haven for a few more years while the appeals process goes through in the EU judical system.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Don Tacorleone posted:

iOS 10 loving sucks

They broke so much of the good poo poo that was working just fine, like the control center

And added widgets because I guess that's what android does, and @STICKERS@ to iMessage because of Snapchat or who the gently caress knows why, yes let me buy a 9.99 pack of stickers for my Apple Messaging app

loving waste of time

iOS 9 I was pretty happy with and it could've used some refinements but gently caress did they go "Let's go WYLD"

iOS are also russian roulette updates since you never know if they will brick your Iphone

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Teardown of the Iphone 7, it has even more glue and more special screws than the Iphone 6

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+7+Plus+Teardown/67384

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I never leave the house, so I don't need a old fashioned wired headphones is a great arguement.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

zen death robot posted:

it kinda feels like you're clicking the whole bottom of the phone, but nothing actually moves

Apple decided including a vibrator was a groundbreaking design decision.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Serrath posted:

Serious question, do American phone plans not offer steep discounts on iphones when you sign up for new contracts? I get a new phone every couple of years on my basic plan, I think I pay about $5 over the monthly cost of the plan for handset repayments and it comes with whatever phone happens to be the latest one. The iPhone release schedule seems to coincide with my contract expiring so I get a new phone every two years. And the $5 is because I wanted a plus instead of the basic phone.

Getting a new phone isn't a status symbol in Australia, it just means your contract ran out and you signed up for a new contract.

US phone companies have changed the contract system over the last year or so to give away less free goodies.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Early adopters are so stupid.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao Apple is now thinking about removing the standard 3.5mm headphone jack from their laptop products:
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...y-a7310896.html

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The French Army! posted:

Just lol if you buy aren't buying the S version iPhones. They always have some dumb bullshit that's wrong with the regular numbered version that gets worked out with the S model.

Also Iphone 6s prices will go down since the new phone is out and nerds no longer will feel that their old phone is adequate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LethalGeek posted:

The lesson here is never run out and buy something for the first 6 months. It will either sound like a bomb or actually be a bomb

early adopting is never a good idea IMO

• Locked thread