Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
One time I was visiting Japan and ordered sushi at a restaurant there. The waitress couldn't believe it. She was like "ohhh? You like sushi?"

And I'm like yeah it's actually very popular in the US, which made her smile politely and say "oh really?"

After she brought me my food the waitress hung around to see if it would eat the sushi or if I'd be too grossed out. I poured a little dish of soy sauce and mixed wasabi in. When the waitress saw me dip my sushi in she giggled and said
"Ooh I see! You don' like sushi, you just like soy sauce!"

And I was like "n-no!" and grudgingly ate the rest of my sushi without soy sauce just to prove her wrong.

But actually sushi is much better with soy sauce and gently caress you if you're some kind of sushi purist who scorns people for dipping their sushi.

Oh, also: I hate to break it to you but American Sushi is superior to Japanese Sushi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

JakeP posted:

Same with American anime

:agreed:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Gaunab posted:

you make a lot of threads op

Rice meltdown.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

im gaye posted:

i bet you eat cali rolls like some kind of huge dork

Cali rolls are objectively the best kind of roll.

how me a frog posted:

Lol you mix wasabi in the soy sauce like an rear end in a top hat.

Sorry about your sensitive baby tongue and sinuses.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

LegoPirateNinja posted:

why would they have soy sauce on the table if you're not supposed to use it

i cant wait to leer at a little japanese man at a steak house HA HA HA YOU JUST LIKE SALT YOU SILLY SLANT EYED MAN

It's a trap so they can see who among their own people have been corrupted by gaijin ways.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I like those crazy house specialty rolls that are more like burritos than sushi, just pile that poo poo high and feed it into my mouth
they're delicious and got good toppings, who gives a gently caress

Caterpillar roll is my favorite but I can only ever get one because they're like $13 each.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

im gaye posted:

called it

Oh well shoot I didn't realize we had the queen of sushi here in our humble thread.
What's your favorite roll, your majesty?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

shoophobo posted:

Lol she was loving with you idiot.

Well it ruined my lunch.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

JakeP posted:

philadelphia rolls are pretty tasty

They used to be my favorite but gradually I've come to hate them. I think it has to do with restaurants putting in too much cream cheese.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

mdm posted:

I like my sushi to have a good schmear

Now I'm hungry for a sushi bagel which is a bagel with cream cheese, rice, seaweed and salmon.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Chomp8645 posted:

Jiro dreams of superiority.

Actually the Hispanic Sushi woman movie is superior.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Fun fact: it's better eat them with chopsticks so you don't get your fingertips in the soy sauce when you dunk your roll.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I fill my miso soup bowl up with soy sauce so I can submerge my roll completely.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I bite the end off my gyozas and then pour the little dish of sauce directly into the dumpling until it overflows.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

numberoneposter posted:

these are from a real restaurant by the way and not like some bozo at home trying to make sushi lol

If someone put this poo poo in front of me I'd call the cops.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

OMG :3

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

South Korea has been into the giant sushi roll thing for decades.

Yeah but South Koreans put that gross yellow spongy stuff in their rolls (eggs???) and it makes me gag.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

numberoneposter posted:

go no further than haunted sushi in burnaby

"LAS VEGAS ROLL"

I bet they call it that because what happens in the las vegas roll stays in the las vegas roll and it looks exactly like that when you poo poo it out.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

rezatahs posted:

looking good. hope there is ketchup at the table. i need a lot!

*dips them rice side first into a pool of ketchup*

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Lastgirl posted:

apple wite do u like nigiri

this is a serious question

Yeah I do. I don't get it often though because the cost per unit is so high and the serving size is like 2 pieces.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Lastgirl posted:

i think snobs get them for a palate cleanser for whatever dish and such

happens in fancy asian restaurants i find

they are good, i get tuna and salmon nigiri from the grocery store because theres like 6 of them with rolls as well

I just eat the ginger to cleanse my palate.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Why did they give a poo poo what you did with the rice after you paid for it?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

This is a bad thread.

The OP was wrong in every way.

Probably a troll because no one can be that stupid.

OP probably is that stupid.

Actually it's you who's wrong because American sushi is more flavorful and bigger than Japanese sushi.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

je1 healthcare posted:

Nah I've seen people there get legit bothered if you do certain things with chopsticks, like using them to pass things to another person's chopsticks. But that's only because it has a morbid symbolism, as people only do that during funeral rites with bone fragments after a cremation.

But they're more level-headed about explaining it

Maybe if they were smart they would keep eating utensils away from corpses and then chopsticks wouldn't remind them so much of dead people all the time. That's my hot take.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

I assume he's talking about an all you can eat thing and people picking the fish off nigiri and leaving the rice which is obviously pretty ridiculous.

Also as far as your op goes I dunno what kind of sushi you were eating but for nigiri (the ones with fish on top of a bit of rice) you're not supposed to dunk the whole thing in soy sauce you're supposed to lift the fish off, dunk that, then put it back on and eat it. If you dunk the whole thing the rice absorbs so much soy sauce that it drowns out the pretty mild flavors of the fish, which is fine if that's what you want to do but imo kind of a waste for what is typically a pretty expensive food.

It was sushi rolls, not nigiri.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

a hole-y ghost posted:

psst.... hey guys... I heard that a hot dogs a sandwich...

What kind of sandwich is shaped like a dick??

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHJSINPuOBU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I don't mix wasabi with soy sauce to "honor the Japanese way" I do it because when its mixed with liquid you get more of the spiciness injected directly into your sinuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Lid posted:

I have.

How does it compare?

• Locked thread