Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

trash person posted:

There should absolutely be harsher penalties for intentional/dirty hits but changing the way penalties offset (I don't believe) would make any significant change to the way certain players approach their tackles.

you're coming at this like it would be some onerous expensive process to change a rule in a god drat football rulebook. Who cares how minimal the benefit is? Who loses out by making that change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

trash person posted:

I wouldn't expect any significant rule changes if only because this happens so rarely.

In fact in the decade I've been watching football I can't remember watching a game where this specific problem came up.

What games do you watch because the one as recently as January in Cincinnati nearly caused riots

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

Pancakes by Mail posted:

you're coming at this like it would be some onerous expensive process to change a rule in a god drat football rulebook. Who cares how minimal the benefit is? Who loses out by making that change?

Getting the competition committee to make changes is onerous.

Not that it should be but uh they like to take their time.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

What games do you watch because the one as recently as January in Cincinnati nearly caused riots

I will admit I have watched very few Bengals games !

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Pancakes by Mail posted:

i don't give a gently caress about the outcome of the game. i'm a Bills fan. I'm angry that a guy getting blasted in the head doesn't matter to the league (or apparently to a lot of fans)

To me (a Chiefs fan who admittedly hates the Broncos but is not attached to the Panthers) it was complete bullshit that they didn't call some of the helmet to helmet stuff, but also that they ignored all of the concussion protocols, where players are theoretically supposed to be removed from the field and evaluated after "observing a player sustain a mechanism of injury (“big hit involving the head”) that is reasonably expected to give rise to a concussion)". http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2015/10/10/0ap3000000553505.pdf

I feel bad about loving football when the rules are enforced.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Substandard posted:

To me (a Chiefs fan who admittedly hates the Broncos but is not attached to the Panthers) it was complete bullshit that they didn't call some of the helmet to helmet stuff, but also that they ignored all of the concussion protocols, where players are theoretically supposed to be removed from the field and evaluated after "observing a player sustain a mechanism of injury (“big hit involving the head”) that is reasonably expected to give rise to a concussion)". http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2015/10/10/0ap3000000553505.pdf

I feel bad about loving football when the rules are enforced.

Marshall was taken off before the team doctor cleared him.

Cam faked a back injury to stay in the game.

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012
This sets a really high bar for the Steeler/Bengals games and anything with obj in it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

if the Steelers/Bengals game does not feature a single on-field knifing I'm gonna demand a refund

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012

trash person posted:

Getting the competition committee to make changes is onerous.

Not that it should be but uh they like to take their time.

I will admit I have watched very few Bengals games !

You should really checkout their last game. It was a real barncity-burner!

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I feel like Pouncey and Pacman should just duel before the game

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

FizFashizzle posted:

Marshall was taken off before the team doctor cleared him.

Cam faked a back injury to stay in the game.

After that last hit on Cam he was clearly out of it. I call bullshit on the idea that no one thought he potentially took a big hit involving the head.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Destoration posted:

This sets a really high bar for the Steeler/Bengals games and anything with obj in it.

The Cin/Pit game will not be this bad because they will flag anything and likely make multiple ejections.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Get Burfict vs Porter on the card too

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I feel like Pouncey and Pacman should just duel before the game

Pistols at the 50

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Substandard posted:

After that last hit on Cam he was clearly out of it. I call bullshit on the idea that no one thought he potentially took a big hit involving the head.

Seriously. That replay was clear as day. My man got speared.

also moving to colorado from NC is feeling particularly painful right now

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Alaois posted:

if the Steelers/Bengals game does not feature a single on-field knifing I'm gonna demand a refund

The Bengals will lose as a direct consequence of this, no matter who does it.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Who gives less of a poo poo about player safety, the NFL itself or the teams?

Or is it some self feeding cycle of poo poo? (It is.)

There's a reason neither of my sons will play football.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

andy dalton will whip out a knife and accidentally slice into the ball, then drop the knife and it will land in his leg and he'll fall over. some linebacker will slap him on the shoulder for the sack. after the game dalton will be suspended for deflating footballs

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

The Cin/Pit game will not be this bad because they will flag anything and likely make multiple ejections.

This is wishful thinking, but it definitely needs to happen

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

If they played tonight it would've been a bloodfest. Since these refs just kinda went fuckit.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

trash person posted:

Or is it some self feeding cycle of poo poo? (It is.)

There's a reason neither of my sons will play football.

Is it because you'd make a terrible coach and they would resent you for holding them back?

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Destoration posted:

If they played tonight it would've been a bloodfest. Since these refs just kinda went fuckit.

If tonight is the baseline, multiple people will die by the hand of Joey Porter during the Pit/Cin game.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

timp posted:

Is it because you'd make a terrible coach and they would resent you for holding them back?

Yes mostly that.
Also because if they suffer from CTE who is going to take care of me and give me money when I'm an old decrepit man.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

trash person posted:

Multiple Denver LBs were spearing Cam. It was pretty clearly encouraged by either the coaches or by players.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

Multiple Denver LBs were spearing Cam. It was pretty clearly encouraged by either the coaches or by players.

Safe money would say most of that type of behavior is the coaching staff intentionally turning a blind eye. Plausible deniability and all that. By the time that type of 'boys will be boys' culture phases out we'll all be watching dota2 instead of the NFL.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

having watched replays of the two H2H hits a bunch I think this one above is a lot more blatant and intentional than the one at the end of the game that everyone is upset about. The player stops running, sets up and jumps, aiming for Cam's helmet. That's incredibly clear and intentional

The one at the end of the game, if Cam's arm is still up and he doesn't bend into the hit, the Bronco tackles him (with his helmet, and with his arms back, yes) in the chest. That one's launching for absolute sure, but I don't know if it's necessarily "I'm going to go for Cam's helmet".

That said, it's silly that personal fouls are treated the same as technical fouls. In an offset situation, personal fouls should take precedence.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Like, one is "Oops, while trying to play the game, I played in such a way that wasn't quite within the rules of the game"

The other is "I am intentionally going to aim for someone in such a way that is impossible to interpret as good sportsmanship"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

lmao that's literally a replay of DRC whiffing on a hit

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012

Substandard posted:

If tonight is the baseline, multiple people will die by the hand of Joey Porter during the Pit/Cin game.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Grittybeard posted:

That's the way the rules work, although I could see an argument for a specific change where if there is roughing the quarterback on a play intentional grounding doesn't offset. Based on the idea that if you're fouling the guy throwing the ball he might not have a fair chance to throw it away.

Would have to be a rules committee thing after the season though.

That would be a hard sell. Cam's throw was rushed because a hit was coming, to be sure, but that's true of literally almost every single intentional grounding, because if the throw isn't rushed it'll probably make it past the line of scrimmage. (And to be especially cynical here: if Cam hadn't been trying to throw the ball away, he would have protected himself against the hit better.)

The right fix is to say that personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct aren't offset by anything besides other similar fouls. IIRC the offsetting rules already say that certain 5-yarders don't offset everything.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You panther fans are terrible. You got beat twice by a team with a bad qb. Go horse face. Also the conclusion guy can call a medical timeout if they are not asleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Pancakes by Mail posted:

i think you will find plenty of impartial fans who are pretty disgusted with what happened, "sorry your team lost" is smarmy bullshit to pack on top of that

"it has always been that way" is true and that's why people are saying "gee that's loving stupid"

I'm impartial (actually now that Peyton is gone, I actually dislike the Broncos more, gently caress Elway) and I don't like that they're not addressing the head trauma, but not having opposing penalties offset is kind of a slippery slope there. When do you throw out the offset? Just for headshots? And is it just intentional or unintentional as well (supposedly they're supposed to call all helmet to helmet even though they don't). Or do you just take all penalties and start figuring out how to add together their effects?

Like, yeah the headshot was bad and I'd support a suspension based off of it ( :laffo: ) but at the same time before the hit Cam threw the ball away in a clear intentional grounding. While one penalty is worse than the other, why does the other get a free pass? I'd say let's add them together and automatic first down beats loss of down so it'd be 5 yards and a first in that situation, but that could get complicated with other scenarios.

Another option would be to keep the offsetting, but any personal foul that involves helmet to helmet means automatic ejection. You'd probably see headhunting stop fast.

The worst part of last night IMO is that the team doctor apparently has the last say in whether someone can go back into the game. I doubt Marshall should've been allowed back in the game for example.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 9, 2016

• Locked thread