Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Substandard posted:

So on that offsetting personal foul / intentional grounding call. By that rational, is it intentional grounding every time you headshot the QB and he drops the ball while crumpling to the ground unconscious? Apparently the rules are clear on this.

Which is why I could see a potential rule change going through like I said. Things just aren't set up like that now and there's really nothing to do about it until after the season at the earliest.

And who am I kidding, no one in the NFL and most of us won't remember this by the time it would be addressed.

(also Cam won't remember because he won't remember tonight)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

trash person posted:

The being upset at the offsetting rule thing would seem more, I don't know, genuine, if half this thread wasn't people whining about the refs the entire game.

if you see a dude getting blatantly smoked in the head and think it shouldn't be penalized because the dude didn't also manage the throw the ball far enough, i can't help you

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

wyoak posted:

no that would be a fumble

I guess you're right, It would be hard to drill him in the head while his arm has barely started moving forward.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

Pancakes by Mail posted:

if you see a dude getting blatantly smoked in the head and think it shouldn't be penalized because the dude didn't also manage the throw the ball far enough, i can't help you

I did not say it shouldn't be penalized, I said people spending the entire game blaming their loss on the refs makes this a boy who cried wolf situation.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

trash person posted:

I did not say it shouldn't be penalized, I said people spending the entire game blaming their loss on the refs makes this a boy who cried wolf situation.

I dunno I saw the ref try to tackle Cam a few times, I think they were improperly impacting the game.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Grittybeard posted:

Which is why I could see a potential rule change going through like I said. Things just aren't set up like that now and there's really nothing to do about it until after the season at the earliest.

And who am I kidding, no one in the NFL and most of us won't remember this by the time it would be addressed.

(also Cam won't remember because he won't remember tonight)
It's kind of a weird rule to change because it's not like the rule being in place would actually deter anything but it does feel dirty

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

trash person posted:

I said people spending the entire game blaming their loss on the refs makes this a boy who cried wolf situation.

:rolleyes:

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

trash person posted:

Almost all those no calls were egregiously bad, so no. Please stfu

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Also if Gano makes the kick, it's the helmet to helmet that wins the game for Carolina and maybe we aren't talking about this the same way

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

wyoak posted:

Also if Gano makes the kick, it's the helmet to helmet that wins the game for Carolina and maybe we aren't talking about this the same way

If he makes the kick we'd be saying the same things, except it would be "they won despite..." instead of "they lost because..."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

wyoak posted:

No, even if Gano made the kick it was still bullshit that trying to injure a player is offset by the ball not going far enough

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

wyoak posted:

It's almost as if the outcome of a game will color the perception of a team's fans.

jk as the previous few posters have indicated The Fix was In the Refs Lost the Game for the Panthers.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I still would want fines delivered even if Gano makes the kick.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

trash person posted:

I'm not blaming this loss on the refs, because we were still in a position to win even with bad calls and missed a kick. I'm pretty sure I even said the Panthers have things to work on! I spent most of the game bitching about our secondary, for example. But yes, the officiating was also terrible. The Panthers not being able to close and the refs being a total joke are things that are allowed to be simultaneously true.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

trash person posted:

It's almost as if the outcome of a game will color the perception of a team's fans.

jk as the previous few posters have indicated The Fix was In the Refs Lost the Game for the Panthers.

:gb2gbs:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

GenericMartini posted:

I still would want fines delivered even if Gano makes the kick.
Stewart's almost certainly getting fined

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ban anyone that starts a post with "it's almost as if..." forumwide

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

trash person posted:

I had no vested interest in either team winning that game

Shut the gently caress up

Oberst
May 24, 2010

fsif posted:

Ban anyone that starts a post with "it's almost as if..." forumwide

No no no its totes ok that the nfl says they care about player safety, and then let one of their superstars almost die on the field

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I guess the question is would changing the offsetting rule in favor or something where we grade penalties make the game any safer (I don't really see how it would)

Oberst
May 24, 2010

A personal foul should have priority over a foul common to the game. Bam problem solved

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

wyoak posted:

I guess the question is would changing the offsetting rule in favor or something where we grade penalties make the game any safer (I don't really see how it would)

I believe the presumption behind changing the rule would be to further discourage the act. As in, if a helmet to helmet hit always takes precedence over any other penalty, then players would be less likely to do it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

wyoak posted:

I guess the question is would changing the offsetting rule in favor or something where we grade penalties make the game any safer and I don't really see how it would

If a penalty that causes deliberate harm to another player is graded most harshly, yes it would influence what players do.

Like, I get you are doing this pissbaby week 1 newbie bullshit for laughs but yes the safety of players does matter regardless of team

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Oberst posted:

A personal foul should have priority over a foul common to the game. Bam problem solved
What problem are you solving though, it's not a player safety thing

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If a penalty that causes deliberate harm to another player is graded most harshly, yes it would influence what players do.

Like, I get you are doing this pissbaby week 1 newbie bullshit for laughs but yes the safety of players does matter regardless of team
It's not like Stewart saw the pass float out of Cam's hand and thought "welp that's IG, I'm safe to hit him in the helmet here"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I had no vested interest in either team winning that game

Shut the gently caress up

Most the people decrying it don't. I mean Panther fans are as well but that don't mean poo poo with context.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

wyoak posted:

Not to say that it would be a bad thing to change the rule but it would be a cosmetic change at best.

You know that hit still would have happened even without the intentional grounding call the way the game was going.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

wyoak posted:

I think there is actually a system where they grade penalties, it is just lovely. Like a 5-yard penalty and a 15-yard penalty can't offset and the 15 is enforced. Grounding is a spot foul though, and therefore doesn't apply. NFL rules are bad and dumb

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

wyoak posted:

It's not like Stewart saw the pass float out of Cam's hand and thought "welp that's IG, I'm safe to hit him in the helmet here"

No, but Stewart did know the worst that what would happen is a 15 yard penalty and some pocket change

Oberst
May 24, 2010

wyoak posted:

The foul precedence problem. Helmet to helmet isn't going away unless there's a total culture shift. I'm ignoring player safety like the nfl

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

I wouldn't expect any significant rule changes if only because this happens so rarely.

In fact in the decade I've been watching football I can't remember watching a game where this specific problem came up.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

trash person posted:

I wouldn't expect any significant rule changes if only because this happens so rarely.

In fact in the decade I've been watching football I can't remember watching a game where this specific problem came up.

Stop posting here

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wyoak posted:

Oh you must have missed the previous post I made. I think offsetting penalties is generally fine, if maddening at times (also I think by rule there are already a few situations where a 5 yard penalty will be ignored in favor of a personal foul). Specifically in the situation a quarterback is roughed on a play I think there's a decent argument that grounding should not be called because the quarterback may not have had a fair opportunity to legally throw the ball away.

But again, I'd be really surprised if this was a talking point by the time the rules committee meets. The situation would have to happen in a playoff game or something.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Oberst posted:

Stop posting here

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
i want to die

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

wyoak posted:

there were no less than five instances of it throughout the game, and that's just off the top of my head.

it didn't just happen on the final drive.

them targeting Cam wasn't even the most blatant offense, either. the tackle in the first half on benjamin, when the DB just dove right into the back of his surgically repaired knee, was the worst.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No, but Stewart did know the worst that what would happen is a 15 yard penalty and some pocket change
If you're arguing for harsher enforcement I agree with that, handing out more suspensions makes sense.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
a helmet touched a helmet and a ball didn't go through the yellow poles?

can I get drunk and watch commercials now?

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

trash person posted:

i don't give a gently caress about the outcome of the game. i'm a Bills fan. I'm angry that a guy getting blasted in the head doesn't matter to the league (or apparently to a lot of fans)

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There should absolutely be harsher penalties for intentional/dirty hits but changing the way penalties offset (I don't believe) would make any significant change to the way certain players approach their tackles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Admiral Bosch posted:

i want to die

Death comes for us all, friend

Sooner for Cam because he got cheapshotted to hell all night

• Locked thread