Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Jameis Winston a rapist?
Yes
Of course
Absolutely
Definitely
View Results

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cruel and Unusual posted:

If I remember correctly the 2000 Ravens were merely good at pass defense, but are far and away the best run defense ever. Whereas the 2002 Bucs were better against the pass.

The Bucs front 7 was god tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Ross Angeles posted:

I think the 2002 Bucs defense gets kind of overshadowed by the 00 Raven's since they were so close together

Yes, but also being Tampa in general. Small, mostly irrelevant market no one talks about unless they have to.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A Pale Horse posted:

Yes, but also being Tampa in general. Small, mostly irrelevant market no one talks about unless they have to.

God, it's so true. I was actually secretly thrilled about this thread's title/poll change because Tampa almost never gets talked about.

E: VVV Favre v Sapp was amazing. I miss the "Battle of the Bays" games.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 14, 2016

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

A Pale Horse posted:

My favorite NFC games back before realignment were always Tampa and Green Bay. Favre vs. Sapp was always super fun to watch

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

WampaLord posted:

God, it's so true. I was actually secretly thrilled about this thread's title/poll change because Tampa almost never gets talked about.

To be fair, we've been complete poo poo for the better part of a decade now, but even in the brief 6-7 year period where we were competitive and relevant I can remember being pissed off because I'd tune into the NFL Gameday (or whatever the equivalent was in the late 90s, early 2000s) and they'd spend two minutes on the Bucs and 15 on the loving Cowboys or Steelers.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Ross Angeles posted:

My favorite NFC games back before realignment were always Tampa and Green Bay. Favre vs. Sapp was always super fun to watch

I loved Warren so drat much. He's the only player I've ever bought a licensed Jersey of. Those battle of the bays games owned bones.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
All this talk of the 02 Bucs makes me so happy. It was such a great time and I don't think I've ever been more excited in my life than when Ronde picked off McNabb. I think I ran through a wall.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

wandler20 posted:

All this talk of the 02 Bucs makes me so happy. It was such a great time and I don't think I've ever been more excited in my life than when Ronde picked off McNabb. I think I ran through a wall.

I was born near Tampa and I had never seen our city celebrate a huge victory before that year. It was loving magical.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
That 2002 Bucs team was awesome defensively (obviously), but Brad Johnson is kind of underrated. He gets lumped in with Dilfer, but was a VASTLY better player.

He was #3 in passer rating, #5 in adjusted net yards per attempt, #6 in completion %, #8 in yards/game and #9 in touchdowns in 2002. And people forget that Tampa's run game that year was trash pure (#27 in yards, #28 in yards/attempt and #31 in rushing touchdowns) so they were a pass-first team you didn't have to respect the run for... but he still threw picks at the lowest rate of anybody in football.

He wasn't a superstar but he was Actually Good.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

A Pale Horse posted:

the ravens also have a tiny national following, being a relatively new team

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

sean10mm posted:

That 2002 Bucs team was awesome defensively (obviously), but Brad Johnson is kind of underrated. He gets lumped in with Dilfer, but was a VASTLY better player.

He was #3 in passer rating, #5 in adjusted net yards per attempt, #6 in completion %, #8 in yards/game and #9 in touchdowns in 2002. And people forget that Tampa's run game that year was trash pure (#27 in yards, #28 in yards/attempt and #31 in rushing touchdowns) so they were a pass-first team you didn't have to respect the run for... but he still threw picks at the lowest rate of anybody in football.

Yeah it took a while for him to get the hang of the offense, but when he did, he basically became Tampa's answer to Rich Gannon. I don't remember what week it was but it finally all clicked when he played the Vikings.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

sean10mm posted:

And Michael Pittman had the game of his career in the SB because yeah, he was complete trash all year.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

sam bradford lmao posted:

Yeah it took a while for him to get the hang of the offense, but when he did, he basically became Tampa's answer to Rich Gannon. I don't remember what week it was but it finally all clicked when he played the Vikings.

I used to have a big man crush on the Brad Johnson led Washington team. Him, Stephen Davis, Michael Westbrook...all super cool until Westbrook beat the poo poo out of Davis in practice.

wandler20 posted:

And Michael Pittman had the game of his career in the SB because yeah, he was complete trash all year.

There's a name I haven't thought of in a while. Wasn't he on the same all steroids Cardinals team with David Boston? Those arms!!!

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Chromatic posted:

Smith was dealing the last half of that game.

Found proof!

https://twitter.com/RealMNchiefsfan/status/775853594281070592

https://twitter.com/RealMNchiefsfan/status/775724638131351552

https://twitter.com/RealMNchiefsfan/status/775553321062928384

https://twitter.com/RealMNchiefsfan/status/775901381282574336

https://twitter.com/RealMNchiefsfan/status/775851139279446020

https://twitter.com/RealMNchiefsfan/status/775841520297521152

Bonus

https://twitter.com/RealMNchiefsfan/status/775745816904380416

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2016/9/14/12909384/alex-smith-all-22-review-vs-chargers-who-is-this-guy

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 14, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

"Deep ball"

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

I was thinking the same thing. That thing went like 15 yards through the air, lol.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Shath Hole posted:

There's a name I haven't thought of in a while. Wasn't he on the same all steroids Cardinals team with David Boston?
And Jake Plummer :swoon:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

That bonus gif loving ownnnnnnssss :jackbud:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

commy gun posted:

Eh, Brad Johnson was average. At worst back up quality. Dilfer and Manning flirted between being liabilities and non factors in the post season.

Fake E: actually had a pretty decent season.

64.8% cmp%, 6.8 Y/A, 3049 yds, 22 TDs/6 ints, 92.9 QB rating
McMahon was good too, though.

A Pale Horse posted:

It's not like people really cared about Baltimore as a market in 2000. Or for offenses, St. Louis in '99.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Man I hate Addae

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
They didn't win it all, but the 2000 Titans don't get enough love. #1 against the pass, #3 against the run and they allowed fewer yards per game than the Ravens did (238!). I would imagine they win the Super Bowl if not for a certain blocked field goal return.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

hifi posted:

Who cares but pats fans are forever bitches for leaving early and crying to be let back in after ryan williams fumbled only to watch their team miss a FG back in 2012

nah that wasn't as bad as 2013 when people started leaving and then tom brady found KENBRELL in the endzone with 0:03 seconds left against the saints

that also spawned one of the greatest radio calls of all time, though. WHERE'S THE BEEF?

Blarfk
Dec 26, 2003

Poonerman posted:

They didn't win it all, but the 2000 Titans don't get enough love. #1 against the pass, #3 against the run and they allowed fewer yards per game than the Ravens did (238!). I would imagine they win the Super Bowl if not for a certain blocked field goal return.

In a bizarrely close case of one-upsmanship, might I submit the 2008 Steelers -

#1 against the pass, #2 against the run, 237 yards allowed per game... and did win the Super Bowl.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Chilichimp posted:

Oh, but when the Saints and Falcons were the class of the NFCS...

I'm mostly only sad about this because I know Fiz is smug as poo poo about it.

gently caress the 49ers forever and ever amen.

Knowing the 49ers almost single-handedly destroyed the hopes and dreams of the entire NFCS for three years running makes their recent troubles a bit more tolerable.

Thanks!

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Coldforge posted:

Knowing the 49ers almost single-handedly destroyed the hopes and dreams of the entire NFCS for three years running makes their recent troubles a bit more tolerable.

Thanks!

gently caress Navarro Bowman. gently caress Mike Smith. gently caress Mike Nolan. gently caress Harry Douglas' feet. gently caress all ya'll!

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Ross Angeles posted:

It seems to be a 15 year cycle. 85 Bears, 00 Ravens, 15 Broncos

2013 seahawks, 2014 sehawks,2015 seahawks, 2016 sehawks

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Blarfk posted:

#1 against the pass, #2 against the run, 237 yards allowed per game... and did win the Super Bowl.

Fuuuuuuck Santonio Holmes.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Ladies and gentlemen, for your viewing pleasure... your Los Angeles Rams

http://i.imgur.com/uVDw5vB.mp4

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

A Pale Horse posted:

To be fair, we've been complete poo poo for the better part of a decade now, but even in the brief 6-7 year period where we were competitive and relevant I can remember being pissed off because I'd tune into the NFL Gameday (or whatever the equivalent was in the late 90s, early 2000s) and they'd spend two minutes on the Bucs and 15 on the loving Cowboys or Steelers.

I grew up in Dallas and I just assumed that wherever you lived you had special coverage for your local team. :(

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

Yeah but there's a firetruck that shows up. So that's like good right?

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

A giant harmonica?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Blarfk posted:

I love the Pittsburgh Steelers

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chilichimp posted:

lmao what's this from?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

lmao what's this from?

GTA:V

The Seahawks are the truck that gets inexplicably owned by the Rams at home.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

A giant harmonica?

leaving St. Louis was not enough to avoid the Blues

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

It's a really good article, but it kinda misses the point of what made Chip's offense "revolutionary" in the first place, and not just another hurry up no-huddle offense.

It's designed to be a fast, simple system that is utterly predictable before the snap, but (the important part) adaptive after the snap. Kelly wanted to get rid of pre-snap adjustments, and instead have those decisions made after the snap, so the QB reacts to what the defense is actually doing, rather than what he thinks it's doing. Basically the QB is supposed to have three options: hand the ball off, throw the ball, run the ball himself.

Part of why the offense got so much worse after Bradford took over, is that it took one of those post-snap options away from the QB. The other part is what the article focuses on, that defenses have started to adjust to this style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Poonerman posted:

Blarfk posted:

And of course there is the 1991 Eagles, #1 against the pass, #1 against the run... and didn't make the playoffs.

gently caress you Bryce Paup. I hope you get cancer C.T.E.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 15, 2016

• Locked thread