Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
I only played Wraith: The Oblivion, nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
yeah yeah wooooo I'm a spooky ghost wooooo

oh no I'm bound to an ashtray for eternity oh noooooooo

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I don't deal well with jump scares when stoned and thus have never gotten past that hotel. that's my vampire story

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
they should remake bloodlines but make it better or something

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

Is that VtM game by the EVE Online people still being made I haven't heard anything in years?

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

TOM HANKS posted:

Is that VtM game by the EVE Online people still being made I haven't heard anything in years?

Nah that got nixed years ago

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

the technocracy did nothing wrong

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TOM HANKS posted:

Canned but the assets (and everything WoD) is now owned by Paradox. They are allegedly very excited to make a couple video games to start.

WoD are releasing their second editions for the current universe and they are real good.

Fagmaster
Aug 21, 2004

brujah and then gangrel

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lucky Guy posted:

Ghostbusters is a movie about Technocrat heroes.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What was the one called where the girls all had thick hard penises instead of vaginas?

because that was the best one

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i'm not even sure VTM:B is worth playing after LA. Like the second you reach that sewer you've basically got a whole bunch of lovely encounters, rushed storylines, hanging threads, and that last hub is nothing but a bunch of combat set pieces with little to no dialogue, and despite being a source engine game that is not a loving game you play for combat

the only reason to keep going is to pick your ending, and most of them suck, a couple of them are funny.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

hemophilia posted:

i'm not even sure VTM:B is worth playing after LA. Like the second you reach that sewer you've basically got a whole bunch of lovely encounters, rushed storylines, hanging threads, and that last hub is nothing but a bunch of combat set pieces with little to no dialogue, and despite being a source engine game that is not a loving game you play for combat

the only reason to keep going is to pick your ending, and most of them suck, a couple of them are funny.

the music in chinatown is cool tho

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

hemophilia posted:

After LA? What's after LA?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

how me a frog posted:

After LA? What's after LA?

Exactly, don't worry about it

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Ghostbusters is a movie about Technocrat heroes.

That's pretty observant and I think it might have made for a good game background rather than White Wolf style cringe and angst.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Frankenstyle posted:

Late-ish 90's I believe.

But lol if you bother with free pdfs even. Back in high school I played a little D&D for a year or so. I started buying the books, but quickly realized they're 90% unnecessary. I'd DM games and pretend to be consulting the charts and stuff for die rolls, but mostly I was just trying to tell an entertaining story while letting the players think that an element of random chance was effecting the game. RPG's work best as some kind of improv dinner theater where the participants think they have more control than they actually do.

*As long as the DM is a good story teller that can think on their feet and understand building tension and poo poo.

This is the correct way to gm imo. As a good gm you should always be willing to diverge from what you had planned out if players try a novel solution, but you should be cheating outrageously regardless and/or just making up rules and poo poo to keep the tension where you need it.

There is no way to tell how badly I'm cheating you behind that gm screen and that is natural and appropriate. :colbert:

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

yeah yeah wooooo I'm a spooky ghost wooooo

oh no I'm bound to an ashtray for eternity oh noooooooo

Dont forget the ~*~ghosts of nuclear weapons~*~

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Nathilus posted:

As a good gm you should always be willing to diverge from what you had planned out if players try a novel solution.

Absolutely. My most popular campaign happened when the players skimmed right past this elaborate epic story I had set up, and the whole thing suddenly diverged into a spontaneous Lovecraftian medieval murder mystery where the players were trying to Sherlock who or what was behind the deaths of random locals in some lovely peasant village. I kinda miss the old RPGs.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

hemophilia posted:

Exactly, don't worry about it

What I'm actually saying is the only hub that is not in LA is Santa Monica, so there literally isn't anything "after LA" so I was wondering if some fan patch unlocked or added an extra hub, or you're perhaps a little bit stupid and thought Chinatown was actually in China or something.

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012

how me a frog posted:

What I'm actually saying is the only hub that is not in LA is Santa Monica, so there literally isn't anything "after LA" so I was wondering if some fan patch unlocked or added an extra hub, or you're perhaps a little bit stupid and thought Chinatown was actually in China or something.

You mean santa monica isn't in LA? I should probably pay more attention it took me forever to figure out shadowrun was set in seattle for the most part.

LT56
Sep 9, 2016

by Smythe

Frankenstyle posted:

Absolutely. My most popular campaign happened when the players skimmed right past this elaborate epic story I had set up, and the whole thing suddenly diverged into a spontaneous Lovecraftian medieval murder mystery where the players were trying to Sherlock who or what was behind the deaths of random locals in some lovely peasant village. I kinda miss the old RPGs.

Tell ME about the MEGAZORDS

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
Y'all fuckin nerds are making me read wikis about vampires, I hate you.

I vaguely remember two things about the Vampire guidebooks or whatever they're called: there's a section that's titled "Fighting Caine" that just reads "you lose", and some description of what happens when you suck the blood of various mythological creatures. Mummies don't have any blood lol

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

12gaugelobotomy posted:

You mean santa monica isn't in LA? I should probably pay more attention it took me forever to figure out shadowrun was set in seattle for the most part.

Correct. Santa Monica is a township or whatever that is seperate from LA (though surrounded on it by the three sides that aren't ocean).

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

wyntyr posted:

Y'all fuckin nerds are making me read wikis about vampires, I hate you.

I vaguely remember two things about the Vampire guidebooks or whatever they're called: there's a section that's titled "Fighting Caine" that just reads "you lose", and some description of what happens when you suck the blood of various mythological creatures. Mummies don't have any blood lol

In the gehenna book they get into antedeluvian "11 pip" powers and they are all hilarious.

Caine himself doesn't belong in a vampire game imo except that taxi cab driver cameo sort of deal. The clan progenitors are fair game in a gehenna scenario though, and their powers make them significantly stronger than most all forces of nature.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

how me a frog posted:

I know my actual geography, but in this game we're talking about radically different environments and chinatown might as well be in china for how little it has to do with the rest of the game except to hurry the plot along to an exploding sarcophagus

So you have santa monica, downtown, hollywood, and then chinatown, if i remember correctly and chinatown is loving horrible lovely poo poo poo poo bad.

basically after you run into the tzimice or whatever its called, and you reach that sewer level, you can safely turn the game off. I'm not sure if hollywood ends at that point, i don't remember the exact order, but the sewer marks the end of the good parts of the game 100%, it's almost like they tacked that on so people would quit before they got to the rest of the unfinished actual game.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

wyntyr posted:

I vaguely remember two things about the Vampire guidebooks or whatever they're called: there's a section that's titled "Fighting Caine" that just reads "you lose",

I thought that was more due to the curse god placed on him in the bible than his actual powers.

"But the LORD said to him, "Not so; anyone who kills Cain will suffer vengeance seven times over." Then the LORD put a mark on Cain so that no one who found him would kill him."

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Lucky Guy posted:

Wassup my nigga! :awesomelon: :hf: :awesomelon:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Vakal posted:

I thought that was more due to the curse god placed on him in the bible than his actual powers.

"But the LORD said to him, "Not so; anyone who kills Cain will suffer vengeance seven times over." Then the LORD put a mark on Cain so that no one who found him would kill him."

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Some of the high-level campaign ideas/ways Gehenna can play out have you killing Caine. You either have to abuse the game mechanics or get God involved.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

Vakal posted:

I think in white wolf stuff Caine's curse is more of a warning than something that God himself will carry out. I could be wrong. I know for actual biblical research the nature of the mark remains debated. (I studied to be a pastor half a lifetime ago.)

Volcott posted:

get God involved.

I'm down with this but I think in general Caine should be an unstoppable force of nature. Even stopping one of the antediluvian clan progenitors should be an amazing, game changing, potentially game ending event.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Volcott posted:

Some of the high-level campaign ideas/ways Gehenna can play out have you killing Caine. You either have to abuse the game mechanics or get God involved.

What's great in the new Chronicles of Darkness is that God is real and is a huge extra-planar machine. Angels are weird hosed up machines that are semi-autonomous and have a compulsion to gather information, even if it is not useful right now.
So God knows everything because it's a massive Wiki with a great search function.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Inzombiac posted:

What's great in the new Chronicles of Darkness is that God is real and is a huge extra-planar machine. Angels are weird hosed up machines that are semi-autonomous and have a compulsion to gather information, even if it is not useful right now.
So God knows everything because it's a massive Wiki with a great search function.

Also it's an incompetent autist that needs everything to be perfect or else it's plans get hosed up. Which explains why WOD sucks so bad.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac posted:

Where can I read more about this?

I'm asking for a friend.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
White Wolf is now safely in the hands of a swedish gaming company, so expect whatever next gaming installment to come out to be utter perfection

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Daughters of Cacophony always gave fat girl LARPers a reason to wear corsets so there's that

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

wyntyr posted:

I think in white wolf stuff Caine's curse is more of a warning than something that God himself will carry out. I could be wrong. I know for actual biblical research the nature of the mark remains debated. (I studied to be a pastor half a lifetime ago.)

I'm down with this but I think in general Caine should be an unstoppable force of nature. Even stopping one of the antediluvian clan progenitors should be an amazing, game changing, potentially game ending event.

90% sure it was an on-hit effect that reflected your attacks back at you x7.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
also :lol: at when White Wolf ever tried to do anything with Eastern philosophy

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Zzulu posted:

White Wolf is now safely in the hands of a swedish gaming company, so expect whatever next gaming installment to come out to be utter perfection

Vampire stop lusting for blood, only lust instead for finest Swedish blodpudding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Where can I read more about this?

I'm asking for a friend.

If you are feeling brave, dive into the White Wolf thread in the Traditional Games subforum.

The regulars are very knowledgeable but are prone to argue about petty poo poo; presumably out of boredom.

• Locked thread