Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Goddamn I forgot how many clans there were. I knew a guy that had all the books for the RPG. There had to have been like eight or ten general rules books and one for each clan, and they were like $50 each. I think it broke his heart when he finally talked a bunch of us into playing one time, and within an hour it was like "gently caress this is boring, lets just get high".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Bert Roberge posted:

That's only the Vampire books.

They made so many other weird ones for other horror movie tropes.

Okay so I'm not just mis-remembering or going senile, because I thought he also had ones that covered "Werewolf Etiquette" and a few that dealt with ghosts and maybe something like "The dummies guide to the afterlife". It's good that he had no chance of having children, because he would have spent their future at the hobby shop right along with his own.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Dreddout posted:

When was this? Because just lol if you don't acquire the pdfs for free online nowadays!

Late-ish 90's I believe.

But lol if you bother with free pdfs even. Back in high school I played a little D&D for a year or so. I started buying the books, but quickly realized they're 90% unnecessary. I'd DM games and pretend to be consulting the charts and stuff for die rolls, but mostly I was just trying to tell an entertaining story while letting the players think that an element of random chance was effecting the game. RPG's work best as some kind of improv dinner theater where the participants think they have more control than they actually do.

*As long as the DM is a good story teller that can think on their feet and understand building tension and poo poo.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Nathilus posted:

As a good gm you should always be willing to diverge from what you had planned out if players try a novel solution.

Absolutely. My most popular campaign happened when the players skimmed right past this elaborate epic story I had set up, and the whole thing suddenly diverged into a spontaneous Lovecraftian medieval murder mystery where the players were trying to Sherlock who or what was behind the deaths of random locals in some lovely peasant village. I kinda miss the old RPGs.

• Locked thread