Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I really hope some smart marketer can get these Yeti-buying people to start buying Fisher Scientific traceable one time use thermal loggers along with their packs of red hots and brauts. From there they can sell magnetic cocktail stirrers for their sweet tea. Grits heated up on the stovetop in precision platinum crucibles.

Blowing $400 on specific-yet-generic plastic is the heart and soul of the labware industry. There is so much money to be made. Probably will be a thing in 10 years or so once the generation of STEM-OR-DIE kids get money and need to purchase their self esteem.

Or maybe things stay on course and it all just remains the province of those awful Buy It For Life pukes that agonize for a year on every knapsack and travel mug decision because they have nothing else worth thinking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

It's a pretty smart move- steal a bunch of cambros from the red cross, figure out a brand name that is synonymous with cold and has a conspicuous "t" in it. Wish I would've done that.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Never heard of these things so looked them up on Amazon. 300 dollars for what appears to be a tastefully coloured builders bucket. Nice.

https://www.amazon.com/Yeti-Tank-85-Cooler-Blue/dp/B00E1FJIJO

Edit: Oh plus 50 for a lid lol

KM Scorchio fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 10, 2016

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It must be difficult living when you are so weak that the mere sight of a cooler triggers you. One love.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Ok confession time. When I'm out on the roads and see trouble or a person in need I pull my Ford Focus (hatchback) into the nearest parking garage. Then i summon Yeti/Salt Life/Truck Nutz and my car turns into a massive lifted hemi Dodge Ram with a light rack that shines across two states and power I don't understand. The curse is the truck is now too big to exit the parking garage. So, I have to change it all back and it's my secret shame that no one has ever seen or believes me about my amazing magic truck.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008
anytime there is a thread like this a bunch of posters just put themselves as poors, which i find to be hilarious

also forums poster jackyl is correct about costas, they own

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

A few months ago I noticed that I had at least three busted Coleman coolers on my back patio so I pitched them and got myself a nice 45 qt Pelican cooler.
It's raccoon/bear proof which is a thing where I go camping and it holds ice for 10 days if you are smart about it, longer if you use a layer of dry ice at the bottom.
Yes, it cost quite a bit but the build quality is excellent and basically having a working cooler for the rest of my life is handled.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Financed cooler for my Miller Light

Backed into a shopping cart thanks to my giant salt life sticker

Live
Laugh
Love

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

lol if you ever spent more than a dollar on anthing other than a top of the line gaming rig with led lighting

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Someone left one of these at my house this summer and the thing is amazing, they left it filled with ice and beer and several days later all the ice was still there and the beers were still cold. I would not pay for a new one but if people want to keep leaving them here i am fine with that.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

jarofpiss posted:

lol if you ever spent more than a dollar on anthing other than a top of the line gaming rig with led lighting

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
A coworker has a yeti and while it does keep ice solid for like three days, it achieves this by having walls twice as thick as standard coolers, so like a medium yeti will hold maybe a 12 pack.

It they made a cooler with super thin walls, a lid I can stand on, and it kept ice for three days, then it might be worth $400.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

whalesteak posted:

It's a pretty smart move- steal a bunch of cambros from the red cross, figure out a brand name that is synonymous with cold and has a conspicuous "t" in it. Wish I would've done that.

the t is for testosterone so everyone knows you have a big dick+balls

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

things gbs ridicules:
filson luggage
pocket knives
trucks/jeeps
coolers
anything that costs more than $1
going outside

thinkgs gbs loves:
working in IT
driving a 2001 toyota corolla
being fat and smelly
indoor alcoholism
having skin that has never been brushed by the touch of the sun's rays

im very triggered here because you are all making fun of things i like but i don't have a yeti cooler because i wouldn't use it enough to justify it. however our company's handyman does have one and keeps it chained in his work truck and it keeps his water and beer cold on the same bag of ice all workweek

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Also Costa sunglasses do own, it's like having x-ray vision, but for water. Lol at paying full price, ebay has them for like 25-40% off msrp all fuckin day.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i carry everything in a plastic kroger bag and i just get a new one when it breaks open and dumps all my animes on the ground

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

shadow puppet of a posted:

I really hope some smart marketer can get these Yeti-buying people to start buying Fisher Scientific traceable one time use thermal loggers along with their packs of red hots and brauts. From there they can sell magnetic cocktail stirrers for their sweet tea. Grits heated up on the stovetop in precision platinum crucibles.

Blowing $400 on specific-yet-generic plastic is the heart and soul of the labware industry. There is so much money to be made. Probably will be a thing in 10 years or so once the generation of STEM-OR-DIE kids get money and need to purchase their self esteem.

Or maybe things stay on course and it all just remains the province of those awful Buy It For Life pukes that agonize for a year on every knapsack and travel mug decision because they have nothing else worth thinking about.

dropping truth bombs

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Bobcats posted:

Financed cooler for my Miller Light

Backed into a shopping cart thanks to my giant salt life sticker

Live
Laugh
Love

Man it's spooky how this goes hand in hand with all the other redneck redflags, the same relatives I mentioned earlier have this Live Laugh Love poo poo literally every 5 feet or so all over their house.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

Man it's spooky how this goes hand in hand with all the other redneck redflags, the same relatives I mentioned earlier have this Live Laugh Love poo poo literally every 5 feet or so all over their house.

the common thread is walmart

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I bought my refrigerator from Sears, ithad been returned after being delivered, was basically brand new, for 400 bucks

Why does a cooler cost the same as a refrigerator?

Can you plug the cooler in

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
The only reason to spend several hundred dollars on a cooler is if you need your ice to not melt for a week. The longer the ice retention, the higher the price.

If your taking sodas and beers to a cookout, then a normal cooler is fine. If your going camping for a week and want to keep drinks and certain food items cold that whole time, then you'll want one of those pricey coolers.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

bongwizzard posted:

Also Costa sunglasses do own, it's like having x-ray vision, but for water. Lol at paying full price, ebay has them for like 25-40% off msrp all fuckin day.

I think any polarized lens will do that for you.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

Pubic Lair posted:

To be fair modern coolers are very lovely. They aren't well insulated, they have lovely hinges that break and can't be replaced, the handles break off.

There is a reason lovely budget coolers like the Coleman Oscar and Personal 16 from the 80s and 90s sell for $75 shipped on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1985-Coleman-Cooler-Personal-16-MINT-CONDITION-W-Handle-/252492119791?hash=item3ac9b3feef:g:HqEAAOSwtnpXp87a

Probably due to big box retailer demands your options for a decent cooler are buy a used cooler or pay for premium cooler like the Coleman Marine line.

Yeti's hold Ice, have replaceable rubber straps that act as the latch, and are bear proof which is a requirement to bring a cooler in some parks/preserves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3k8qdh-r_E

That said I just troll garage sales and buy old coleman coolers for a buck or two.

That bear attack is pretty amazing, the bear goes straight to ripping off the latches and trying to pry the lid off. I didn't believe the cooler was mauled for an entire hour until the after pic showed there are locks on the corners opposite the hinges. So the bear could rip off the latches, but not the hinges and locks.

Locks seem like cheating.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.
My boss was trying to sell me on the idea of getting one of the travel coffee mug versions of one of em, had no clue they were that pricey. I'd rather spend my money on pieces of cardboard with foil on them that make me win at a dumb game.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Redneck fashion for middle class people is just the right wing version of hipsterism.

LT56
Sep 9, 2016

by Smythe

notZaar posted:

Redneck fashion for middle-class people is just the right wing version of hipsterism.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?
I don't think its the coolers themselves that set people off, its (at least for me) the fact that people want to trumpet the Yeti "lifestyle" like they're the only one "living" it. I know someone who has one of the metal can coozies, and he shows up with it at parties while wearing a Yeti camo baseball cap and a Yeti t-shirt that shows a guy and a grizzly bear drinking beer together. He also carries a special Yeti bottle opener shaped life a tarpon. And yes, his car has a Yeti sticker. Also there are some Yetis under the floorboards.

It's like a new generation's version of being a Parrothead.

The coolers themselves are awesome (I have received two as gifts) for keeping bears out of your food or bringing dorado back to shore, but lol at someone who can't really afford one buying it as a status symbol. What's funny is the same guy who will bitch about people on welfare buying Air Jordans will turn around and put off getting braces for his kids because he needs that Yeti cooler for tailgating season to show his friends that he's up to date on country songs keep his beers cold for the entire afternoon and evening so the day won't be ruined.

edit: My bro just bought one of these a couple months ago for about $100 and I'm jealous.

PallasAthene fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 10, 2016

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I can't imagine my self in a situation where Bears would be getting into my cooler.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
One day bears will evolve opposable thumbs and ravage us all in our beds and it will all be Americas fault because you redneck hicks bought these overprice bear-teasers.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
yeti status is the only status. Get like me

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

Dirt posted:

I can't imagine my self in a situation where Bears would be getting into my cooler.

If you camp in parks where people feed them, it'll happen sooner or later. But probably not when you're tailgating.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Big Green Eggs (or as I like to call them, BGE) are very good though.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
is it true big green eggs have a bunch of weird accessories you feel compelled to buy like it is a whole lifestyle or some poo poo

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

You like it? I've been thinking of upgrading.

LT56
Sep 9, 2016

by Smythe

notZaar posted:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

tenspott posted:

I think any polarized lens will do that for you.

Eh, my $7 ones sorta do, but they scratch if someone uses strong language around them. My $25 ones are better, but scratched when I put them in the same pocket as my phone My $100 Costas can survive such awful treatment and they def are far far clearer and brighter then the other two.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

notZaar posted:

flip the image horizontally so he is facing your posts otherwise change nothing imo

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

thathonkey posted:

is it true big green eggs have a bunch of weird accessories you feel compelled to buy like it is a whole lifestyle or some poo poo

Yea. Like you can buy a regular electric charcoal lighter for $12 or you can buy the one that's identical but says BGE on it for $35. They also sell special charcoal that costs 2-3x as much as any other brand and is probably just charcoal they bought from Kingsford and poured into a new bag.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
In the club, yeti shirt, matching hat on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

thathonkey posted:

flip the image horizontally so he is facing your posts otherwise change nothing imo

That will look bad, flipping around cartoons always exposes the slant lines you don't notice at first.

• Locked thread