Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
Do you still have one?!

I do!

It's noisy.

But faster than my laptop.

I'm typing on it, or rather a keyboard attached to it LOL, as we speak!!!

TELL US ABOUT YOUR PAST OR PRESENT DESKTOP COMPUTER(S), AND LET US MAKE GBS GREAT AGAIN!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
MacBook Pro connected to an external monitor? :shrug:

My PC is a desktop unit that's getting old but im not thrilled with getting a new system, specifically going to Windows 10.

cnut
May 3, 2016

Rambling Robot posted:

I'm typing on it, or rather a keyboard attached to it LOL, as we speak!!!

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
i have an intel nuc connected to my tv

small and quiet

gaming is for children

Qvark
May 4, 2010
Soiled Meat
I have one.

I play computer games on it.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

i have a 10 year old imac as a backup when i eventually spill beer in my laptop

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have a Hackintosh as my daily, a DIY router/server, and a HTPC. I don't actually use any notebooks at this point other than my work Macbook. Desktop computers are great if you like having multiple screens and decent performance and upgradability. This machine is probably on its fifth set of hardware since I built it in 2007.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I have a desktop computer for video gaming.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

The Dennis System posted:

I have a desktop computer for video gaming.

I keep thinking about pulling the trigger and building one of these. Still worth it? Or will laptops soon pull ahead?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
The laptops that are truly capable of gaming aren't really laptops.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

revmoo posted:

The laptops that are truly capable of gaming aren't really laptops.

For only $4000 you too can experience the thrill of gaming on a thing which you could technically move around but would run out of charge within 9 seconds were you to plug it out

also you get to be smug about it and act like desktops are obsolete

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Rambling Robot posted:

It's noisy.

Noctua

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Laptops are for computing luddites, I need my giant wall of 120hz monitors

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

error1 posted:

Laptops are for computing luddites, I need my giant wall of 120hz monitors

just lol if you don't have a wall in your house dedicated to monitors

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
home built desktop computers are cheap as poo poo and you can build something amazing for no money

Don't want to build it? The shop near me builds it up to and including installing windows for 75 bucks (aud) with whatever parts you give them

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

PC gaming is a thing.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

feedmegin posted:

PC gaming is a thing.

for a clown to do

at the circus

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

feedmegin posted:

PC gaming is a thing.

A superior thing.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

A superior thing.

:respek: May your temps be low.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

its pretty good if you never leave the house

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

hth posted:

its pretty good if you never leave the house

Can confirm this.

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

:jiggled:
Jiggled Again
A big rear end classic desktop seems retarded nowadays, if I were to get a desktop id probably get one of those small form factor ones

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

jigglemaster7 posted:

A big rear end classic desktop seems retarded nowadays, if I were to get a desktop id probably get one of those small form factor ones

:( i bought my first desktop in 10 years only last month. its a tower and cheap since im poor.

im retarded :(

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

built this desktop in 2011 and play the hell out of games on it, have only had to upgrade the video card so far

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

jigglemaster7 posted:

also, nothing worse on this planet than the "pro gamer" aesthetic of hi end cases/components

I guess it looks cool if you are 13 and have down syndrom, which of course is a large part, if not the majority, of PC gamers, so maybe it's a wise move financially

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I have a desktop computer with a 23" CRT monitor on a desk I found out back behind the pizza hut with a lovely matching chair and some plastic cups I guzzle mountain dew out of while I play starcraft all night in my studio apartment.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

jigglemaster7 posted:

My desktop computer doesn't even fit under the desk and I wouldn't want it any other way

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

Jiggled Again

Dave Concepcion posted:

also, nothing worse on this planet than the "pro gamer" aesthetic of hi end cases/components

I guess it looks cool if you are 13 and have down syndrom, which of course is a large part, if not the majority, of PC gamers, so maybe it's a wise move financially

like I see the appeal of building a big rear end gaming "rig" :smug: if youre trying to save money as a 16 year old working minimum wage at dominos but for a couple hundred bucks extra you can get a small form factor prebuilt computer

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i wanted a computer case with good air flow but it had a bunch of lovely LEDs in it so i immediately voided the warranty by disassembling it and cutting all the wires that powered them

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

jigglemaster7 posted:

like I see the appeal of building a big rear end gaming "rig" :smug: if youre trying to save money as a 16 year old working minimum wage at dominos but for a couple hundred bucks extra you can get a small form factor prebuilt computer

it'd be more expensive and have worse hardware tho htth

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

jigglemaster7 posted:

i got a small form factor you can rig up

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Blue Train posted:

it'd be more expensive and have worse hardware tho htth

i bought a skylake nuc and that was loving cheap

plenty powerful for what I need and it's not an ugly tower which is a giant plus

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
You can build a desktop that's the size of a cubby that plays every video game on the market ever except for the last two generations of console exclusives in an afternoon and for <$1,000.

Worth it if you've got a gaming bug.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i bought 2 1080 founders that in going to voltron together for vr

its gonna own

LT56
Sep 9, 2016

by Smythe

hth posted:

its gonna own

lucky

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

hth posted:

its gonna own

you could sell this post to Phizer, they can market it as an antidote for flibanserin

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Posting from my WebTv

LT56
Sep 9, 2016

by Smythe
- big man patrick big man tyrone video here -

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjbrmfjJRk0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LT56