Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i do and its got 4 ssds and 3 optical drives in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

My desktop from 2003-2016 was a Sony Vaio P4 that started as a 2.8ghz and was upgraded to 3.4ghz and 2gb of ram and a pair of 1tb drives. As time went on and we moved to laptops, tablets, and phones it was only used for Office and surfing the web on the rare occasion but was mainly a torrent box.

This summer, I replaced most of the guts and my new desktop is used 90% of the time as a Plex media server.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Dave Concepcion posted:

you could sell this post to Phizer, they can market it as an antidote for flibanserin

lmao

is there an antidote for being owned this hard

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I ain't spending $1400 worth of GPUs to make the bitches wet that's for drat sure.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Germstore posted:

I ain't spending $1400 worth of GPUs to not make the bitches wet, that's for drat sure.

ftfy

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I spent $800 upgrading my pc. I think its time to be replacing my i6 with an i7. Couldn't find any new generations of i6's.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9XqIGe7HNU

prescient.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
At work I have a battle station of four monitors, etc.

At work I don't even have a computer, phone & tablet handle everything

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I have a desktop PC for GAMING!!!11!!@#!. And because I have lots of monitors, VR, and other stuff a laptop isn't good for.

Also have a macbook for development and taking on the go. And my work laptop.

What I'm saying is I have a lot of computers because computers are cool and good.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I went with a sleek black case for the PC I built this summer but some company started selling a premod case that looks like an alien monolith which opens up predator mouth style for upgrades and I would have loved that poo poo.

Like gently caress feeling like you have to be an adult when you're constructing a PC. That poo poo is rad.

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*
Older Desktop computer running Mint Linux plugged into the 65" telly for internet and movies.
Desktop computer running Win 7 in my study, which is where I spend most my time.
Laptop running Win 7 to take to the summer house.
Older laptop running Ubuntu, collecting dust mostly.
Raspberry PI 2 Model B running Raspbian, for God knows what purpose.
Pine A64, not yet assembled, possibly turning it towards F@H for Team SAGoons.

Oh, and I've recently began growing a small beard.

Please help me! :eek:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I wouldn't worry until you run out of addresses on your internal 192.168.1.0/24 network

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this
My 2 core phenom no ssd Vista desktop sure beats the crap out of my work 4 core i7 ssd win7 laptop so yes im gonna keep it

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

autoaim.cfg posted:

Raspberry PI 2 Model B running Raspbian, for God knows what purpose.

Please help me! :eek:

Here you go:

https://pi-hole.net/

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Yeah. I replaced my fans/heatsink with Noctuas, and my computer is whisper-silent. You can't really tell whether it's on by sound.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Rambling Robot posted:

:( i bought my first desktop in 10 years only last month. its a tower and cheap since im poor.

im retarded :(

sure you've made some financial missteps but at least you didn't pay $10 to post on an Internet forum

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Rambling Robot posted:

:( i bought my first desktop in 10 years only last month. its a tower and cheap since im poor.

im retarded :(

towers own

who is poorer- you or these people who cannot conceive of having the space to keep a full sized tower?

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Full sized towers are for idiots, everything you need should be able to fit in a micro atx case and probably that's too big too

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

This is me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWkT4mU6Abo

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Aralan posted:

Full sized towers are for idiots, everything you need should be able to fit in a micro atx case and probably that's too big too

bigger case means bigger fans, bigger fans are quieter fans (for a given amount of airflow)

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

error1 posted:

Laptops are for computing luddites, I need my giant wall of 120hz monitors

ehhh that monitor gap

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I want one of them ultrawide 34" inch monitors. I'd only have room on my desk for one, but I think that would be enough.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Germstore posted:

bigger case means bigger fans, bigger fans are quieter fans (for a given amount of airflow)

The noisiest fan in my computer is the video card and I don't think the case size matters there? The other ones are practically silent already

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Aralan posted:

The noisiest fan in my computer is the video card and I don't think the case size matters there? The other ones are practically silent already

I took the fan off my gpu and just blow on it like a hot cup of coffee

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

why would someone keep a computer on a desktop? that seems like an inefficient use of space.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Aralan posted:

It probably depends. I have a really quiet GPU, but it's really quiet because it has three big rear end fans and wouldn't fit in all but a handful of micro atx cases. e: And if you have good airflow through the case the GPU fans don't need to spin as much because they're getting cooler air.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

satanic splash-back posted:

why would someone keep a computer on a desktop? that seems like an inefficient use of space.

You're supposed to use the computer as the desk top, idiot

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I remember PC Gaming was kind of waning in late PS2 through 360 era but then cheap rear end humble bundles, steam sales, good indie games, and good exclusives (Civ) kind of saved it. That's just how I experienced it though- haven't played a console since maybe a couple months after Halo 3 dropped?

Hardware is a lot more affordable these days too. Prices are generally cheaper for the equivalent quality compared to a decade ago.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Aralan posted:

that makes sense, but you should probably shouldn't sign your posts

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Aralan posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112535

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this

Aralan posted:

Full sized towers are for idiots

Don't forget to say that tomorrow

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

sofokles posted:

lol

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Blue Train posted:

built this desktop in 2011 and play the hell out of games on it, have only had to upgrade the video card so far

I'm amazed at how well the desktop I built 5 years ago is doing.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i built mine in 2013 and it's handled everything i've thrown at it. i've only had to replace the fan once, though i want to upgrade my GPU at some point.

desktop computers are good

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Since the first gen i-series the performance jump between generations has been like 15%, which is kind of lovely for the most part, but it does mean a first gen i7 will still be faster than a current gen mobile i7. Desktops are good.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

the problem with the whole desktop computer concept is that you could have spent that money on drugs

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

MiracleWhale posted:

the problem with the whole desktop computer concept is that you could have spent that money on drugs
PC gaming is a drug, friendo

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

symbolic posted:

PC gaming is a drug, friendo

no, its for children

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this

MiracleWhale posted:

you can sell your laptop to get drugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

sofokles posted:

lol

• Locked thread