Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Rambling Robot posted:

It's noisy.

Noctua

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I ain't spending $1400 worth of GPUs to make the bitches wet that's for drat sure.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Aralan posted:

Full sized towers are for idiots, everything you need should be able to fit in a micro atx case and probably that's too big too

bigger case means bigger fans, bigger fans are quieter fans (for a given amount of airflow)

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I want one of them ultrawide 34" inch monitors. I'd only have room on my desk for one, but I think that would be enough.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Aralan posted:

The noisiest fan in my computer is the video card and I don't think the case size matters there? The other ones are practically silent already

It probably depends. I have a really quiet GPU, but it's really quiet because it has three big rear end fans and wouldn't fit in all but a handful of micro atx cases. e: And if you have good airflow through the case the GPU fans don't need to spin as much because they're getting cooler air.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Aralan posted:

You're supposed to use the computer as the desk top, idiot

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112535

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Since the first gen i-series the performance jump between generations has been like 15%, which is kind of lovely for the most part, but it does mean a first gen i7 will still be faster than a current gen mobile i7. Desktops are good.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

satanic splash-back posted:

no, its for children

the only children that can afford things like 1080s are teenagers and they should be spending that money on trying to get laid. pc gaming is for adults who are running the clock down.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Blockade posted:

I have one of these numbers that connects my laptops to some monitors and peripherals:

My servers and such exist as VPS's because i am a future man from the far flung year of 2016.

This is like 10x more computer janitory than just owning a desktop.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Get more than 16 GB of ram people lose their drat minds. It's literally $80 more dollars to get 32 GB. Just get the 32 GB. Future proof it cause in a couple years GPUs will probably have more than 16 GB.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Those external gpu enclosures would be good if they didn't cost as much as a low end system minus the gpu. If they cost literally a quarter of the current cost and had standard support for extra high speed storage then maybe they'd be good. Even then mobile cpus are generally half as powerful as their desktop counterparts.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Hired a handy man to install a light fixture in my split foyer because gently caress trying to secure a wire nut 20 feet up while holding up a chandelier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Aralan posted:

I used to know this kind of stuff, I think, but at this point I have literally no idea what the difference is. I just bought the highest number that was within my budget while I was building my newest computer, is an i7 4790 good

i7 has hyper-threading and four cores. i5 has four cores but no hyper-threading. i3 has two cores and hyper-threading.

• Locked thread