Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Full sized towers are for idiots, everything you need should be able to fit in a micro atx case and probably that's too big too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Germstore posted:

bigger case means bigger fans, bigger fans are quieter fans (for a given amount of airflow)

The noisiest fan in my computer is the video card and I don't think the case size matters there? The other ones are practically silent already

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

satanic splash-back posted:

why would someone keep a computer on a desktop? that seems like an inefficient use of space.

You're supposed to use the computer as the desk top, idiot

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

sofokles posted:

Don't forget to say that tomorrow

lol

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Paying someone to build your computer in 2016 is dumb, it's not even like legos it's more like those big 6 piece puzzles they make for toddlers. Everything is built to only plug in the right way now

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
There isn't even thermal paste to deal with unless you really care about it, most processors come with thermal tape on them that works good enough (probably, I cared about it and used paste, but even that's super easy)

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

Laptops will never pull ahead. It will always be cheaper and easier to stick components in a big box than in a tiny wafer. It will always be easier to cool a desktop than a laptop. A desktop will always be easier to upgrade than a laptop (important either if you need to always have the latest thing, or are poor/cheap and want to keep your computer running for as long as humanly possible.)

The only way laptops will ever surpass desktops is if we give up our fetish for making things smaller and thinner If people were willing to go back to laptops the size of a briefcase that weigh 15 pounds, then laptops could possibly match desktops.. That would give you room for a big screen, a big battery, a proper keyboard, a cooling system, and so on.

There will never be a point where we aren't racing towards higher resolutions and more consistent framerates until our desktops can display a scene that literally appears real, like you were looking through the monitor into a window, without ever dropping a frame or tearing the screen, or we're all too busy trying to find drinkable water and bullets for the guns we've welded to our cars

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I was seriously thinking about getting a bigger form factor than micro atx next computer I built because sometimes replacing things in there is a pain in the rear end because of how close together everything is, but now that I know about mini itx I'm going to have to keep going down this path thanks thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Roger_Mudd posted:

I have an i7 but don't use it for anything an i5 could do just as well.

I'm "that guy". :smuggo:

I used to know this kind of stuff, I think, but at this point I have literally no idea what the difference is. I just bought the highest number that was within my budget while I was building my newest computer, is an i7 4790 good

• Locked thread