Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
A friend of mine told me how she was seeing the same guy constantly trolling local news articles comment sections on facebook and would post insanely misogynistic and arguably violent mra-level rants on any article even tangentially related to rape victims or feminism. Apparently this went on for months until said friend looked at this idiot's public profile and emailed screenshots of his posts to the employer listed on the profile. He was subsequently fired because of course that company didn't want people seeing their company's name when they clicked on this dude's public profile after reading an insane mra rant about how the 15 year old raped by her teacher was probably just dressed and acting like a slut

I still weep for his trampled free speech rights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

reallivedinosaur posted:

good for you and your snitch friend i guess

what goes around comes around, and maybe one day your friends boss will fire him because nobody really likes holier-than-thou snitches on their staff

lol yeah that sounds likely

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
getting fired for having a picture of you drinking a beer on Facebook and being fired for publicly harassing women who reply to your mra rant are practically the same thing

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

reallivedinosaur posted:

company doesnt give you a reason when they fire you, and is not obligated to

they are exactly the same thing

lol nah

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm not going to bother this time.

Not the same thing, and harassment is not protected under speech. That said, is posting poo poo online the same thing as harassment? I could write about how all women are bitches, but that's not me harassing anyone, that's my free speech, stupid though it may be. Who is harmed?

I guess no one but that's not the situation I'm describing. I didn't see this guy post myself but I saw screenshots of him leveling vaguely threatening poo poo against women who replied to his comments trying to calmly explain why his comments were so hosed. This is the only example I know of personally where someone was fired for social media posts and it was completely justified in that instance imo

maybe there's an epidemic of people being fired for simply voicing an opinion but from what I've seen most cases are much more reasonable than that

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe we should boycott companies who fire employees over frivolous poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's like a palette swapped gerald ford caricature

• Locked thread