Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Y-Hat posted:

bethlehem is much better than allentown. you're still better off going to the one in connecticut, which is a quaint new england rural town

Which town in Connecticut are you referring to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

A Kpro posted:

I loved Idaho because it wasn't California, Mississippi, Qatar, or Minnesota. Unless you live in Stanley those winters are mild. And if anyone is in Boise Gernika's is the place you're gonna wanna go.

The tongue they do up on Saturdays is fuckin legendary, and their lamb kebab is delicious too. Pie Hole is good if you're on a budget.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I lived for a year in what I now realize was exploitative student housing in Troy, New York. I lived with a woman who owned both a dog and a cat. The cat was all right, just sticking its face into whatever I was eating, but the dog was something else. The poor thing was left inside so long it relieved its bowels on the kitchen floor. I moved out almost instantly.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Which town in Connecticut are you referring to?
bethlehem. to my knowledge there's no allentown in connecticut

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Y-Hat posted:

bethlehem. to my knowledge there's no allentown in connecticut

I just looked it up and that's probably the one my wife meant. Thank God I read these forums.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Snatch Duster posted:

Portland Oregon is really bad. Sucks so much.

Everyone thinking of moving here shouldn't it's real terrible.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/oZzgAjjuqZM

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Luckily I barely remember what was probably the worst place I ever lived. Mountain View, Missouri in the Ozarks. My mom's co-workers would tell her about running black people out of town and there was a lot of inbreeding and stuff going on there.

Probably a personal thing but I really cannot stand Santa Fe, NM or the southwest in general. I grew up there though and it's just very depressing and weird to me. I'm glad to be in the PNW but I do miss Portland, OR. Seattle's alright but I dunno.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Cisco, TX

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Mountain View, Missouri in the Ozarks.

I've just looked at this poo poo-hole on google satellite view, whose the rich cock-sucker off 5th with the in-ground pool

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Supreme Allah posted:

I've just looked at this poo poo-hole on google satellite view, whose the rich cock-sucker off 5th with the in-ground pool

I dunno man but it has been years since I've been back. I mean there are some better off than others. My friend in elementary school's family had a crazy huge house. His dad ran a funeral home. I forget what his mom did but she ran for public office at some point and had some sort of connection with the Clintons I think? Local teens hang out at the Sonic or drown drunk in the river during the summer.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Also going to add the Hemet/San Jacinto valley in California. San Jacinto has always been a little bad, but Hemet has taken a long road to shittiness.

I grew up in Hemet for the most part, and due to the housing market crash (Most of the people buying houses in the housing community were construction workers who's job was to build these same housing communities) plus the city's following appetite to increase it's population through developing more section 8 housing, the place has become ground zero for drug and robbery related crime (with murder sprinkled as topping).

It use to be a decent city that was known for it's wealthy retirement residence, but that's long gone.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Runefaust posted:

I grew up in Hemet for the most part, and due to the housing market crash (Most of the people buying houses in the housing community were construction workers who's job was to build these same housing communities)

This is going on in my town right now. Housing/real estate is one third of British Columbia's economy and foreign investment was so crazy that they just haphazardly slapped a 15% tax on any foreign home purchase in Vancouver, which may have started a crash. Too early to say yet. Condos say a thousand words though:

1992:

2016:

ForceKin
Dec 22, 2009

My wife wants to start going around the country to visit "Christmas towns" around the holidays.

Sever.

Everywhere I've lived has been poo poo, just in different ways. I've only lived in Florida though so its to be expected.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Boise is fine. It's not exciting. Most places are worse, though. We don't have natural disasters outside of wildfires. We don't have to deal with high crime rates or collapsing industry. The climate is...eh. Better than most cities in America.
As a kid I almost ended up in Lakeport, CA so that would have sucked. Or we could have stayed in Oroville and stopped book learnin after 5th grade.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Aherla, Ireland.

Middle of nowhere, 10 miles equidistant from other middles-of-nowheres. I lived for 10 of the worst years of my life in Aherla, in a house about half a mile outside of the main village. The village itself consisted of:

-one tiny shop the size of a shed, which contained yellowing copies of the National Enquirer that had Vampire Baby on the cover, and rental videos that were clearly bought broken from the XtraVision branch 15 miles down the road,
-a row of magnolia houses that were populated exclusively by elderly people and their adult children who never moved out, either because they didn't want to or had a mental disability where they couldn't take care of themselves,
-a Shed World. Excitement afoot.
-a headstone maker, and
-two pubs. One across the road from the other. The less piss-stinking of the two became famous in Cork for being the place where "The Langer Song" was recorded.

Everyone waves at you, whether they've seen you before or not. The whole village and its outskirts smells of slurry and garbage bags, due to the sheer amount of garbage bags being dumped by passing cars into the ditches. The one person of note that existed in the village was an old woman, who, rumour has it was a successful scientist at one point or another, who drove this old red banger of a hatchback, with two giant German Shepherds eternally sitting in the back. Nobody was able to stand next to this woman whenever she appeared in the tiny shop, because not only was she smothered in layers upon layers of dog hair, but she also had a strong resistance to water, soap and shampoo, which made her smell like her clothes contained baubles of varying sizes in the armpit and crotch areas.

Aherla. Not even once.

tough stains
May 23, 2007

Desire gets the upper hand over insight and foresight and the results are often needless entanglement.
Hyannis, Mass., especially in winter, when the tourists flee.

Drug hell, with vicious weather, nasty people and closed stores.

Edit: And I spent 5 years in India

tough stains fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 12, 2016

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

My wife wants to start going around the country to visit "Christmas towns" around the holidays. Basically beautiful or quaint towns that do it up around Christmas time. Anyway one of the ones on her list is Bethlehem, PA. I take it from your post that she is completely incorrect and must have heard this was a good place during some sort of fever dream?

lol if u think that sign applies to middle to upper class crackers

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i lived in an abandoned parking garage for a while. i also live in a house with a couple that horded both garbage/junk and cats. well over a dozen cats (some died in the junk when i was there and we could no find them). the rent was cheap though!

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

This is going on in my town right now. Housing/real estate is one third of British Columbia's economy and foreign investment was so crazy that they just haphazardly slapped a 15% tax on any foreign home purchase in Vancouver, which may have started a crash. Too early to say yet. Condos say a thousand words though:

1992:

2016:

Three Olives just got an erection so turgid he can actually see the tip, and he doesn't know why.

Fake edit: Lawton, and lol at the other human failure who went to BCT there too.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
When my dad retires, they want to move to Oklahoma or Kansas. They were surprised when I said I didn't want to go too.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Idiot Kicker posted:

When my dad retires, they want to move to Oklahoma or Kansas. They were surprised when I said I didn't want to go too.
even if they weren't bad places to live in general, those are two really random places to retire to

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Lawton, Oklahoma

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Edmonton, Alberta

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Heh lawton has at least 4 different goon votes so far.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Oh yeah my Dad retired to Lemoore CA lol

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Teflon Don posted:

Lawton, Oklahoma

It really is the worst place in the whole okla/n. tex region.

mine is west memphis, ar

windhoek, nam is hosed up too but west mem is weirdest place anywhere

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

earth

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

PooInAnAlleyway posted:

Aherla, Ireland.

Middle of nowhere, 10 miles equidistant from other middles-of-nowheres. I lived for 10 of the worst years of my life in Aherla, in a house about half a mile outside of the main village. The village itself consisted of:

-one tiny shop the size of a shed, which contained yellowing copies of the National Enquirer that had Vampire Baby on the cover, and rental videos that were clearly bought broken from the XtraVision branch 15 miles down the road,
-a row of magnolia houses that were populated exclusively by elderly people and their adult children who never moved out, either because they didn't want to or had a mental disability where they couldn't take care of themselves,
-a Shed World. Excitement afoot.
-a headstone maker, and
-two pubs. One across the road from the other. The less piss-stinking of the two became famous in Cork for being the place where "The Langer Song" was recorded.

Everyone waves at you, whether they've seen you before or not. The whole village and its outskirts smells of slurry and garbage bags, due to the sheer amount of garbage bags being dumped by passing cars into the ditches. The one person of note that existed in the village was an old woman, who, rumour has it was a successful scientist at one point or another, who drove this old red banger of a hatchback, with two giant German Shepherds eternally sitting in the back. Nobody was able to stand next to this woman whenever she appeared in the tiny shop, because not only was she smothered in layers upon layers of dog hair, but she also had a strong resistance to water, soap and shampoo, which made her smell like her clothes contained baubles of varying sizes in the armpit and crotch areas.

Aherla. Not even once.

aside from the smells this place sounds perfect

then again i've lived my whole life in new jersey so i have a hosed up frame of refrence

edit: just checked on google maps, actually looks pretty crap

WILDTURKEY101 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 13, 2016

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
joliet, illinois. south of the south side of chicago and about as fun as that sounds. i like to pretend those two years didnt happen

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
There is no rodeo in Joliet
No great waterhole in Downers Grove
The old windbag blows, the old windbag blows
Here the sky and the ground, here the sky and the dirt
Share the same grey, grey
No fun in the sun, no fun in the sun, where fish float
The old windbag blows, the old windbag blows, the old windbag blows, the old windbag blows

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Realtalk I went to college in the Lehigh Valley, PA. You can either stay in the big cities (Allentown or Bethlehem) which are poverty and crime-ravaged collapsed steel industry cities (Billy Joel wrote a song about Allentown I think?), or you can drive 20 minutes out through the poverty and crime-ravaged collapsed steel industry towns with fun names like Mechanicsburg and Orefield. Nice areas to drive around smoking pot with friends though!

Allentown itself is a pretty fun example of the economic cycle of a city. There is an extremely noticable poverty line (17th Street). On one side are crackhouses, pawn shops, dilapidated rowhouses, etc. and on the other side are big single-family homes with nice front lawns, and of course the colleges. A friend of mine got stabbed walking back to his dorm, on-campus, freshman year.

It's the only place I've ever seen an actual street sign that said "No Cruising" because of all the drug dealers

lol I have also been stabbed on the Lehigh campus, back in 2010.

Everyone at that school is super addicted to coke.

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland

Jastiger posted:

Heh lawton has at least 4 different goon votes so far.

5. Altus is a close second.

gently caress it, nuke Oklahoma.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

God Hole posted:

lol I have also been stabbed on the Lehigh campus, back in 2010.

Everyone at that school is super addicted to coke.
i thought he was talking about Muhlenberg, which is the exact same school except a liberal arts school

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh I was. #1 theater program in the country nowadays!

Muhlenberg is like a fraction the size of Lehigh, though.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I lived inside a giant butt inside the shoe at mother goose land. It was p cool but it smelled like rear end and feet. :shrug:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
For 5 years of my life I had to live outside of the the guard-gated golf-course country club community I grew up in and an apartment without a 24/7 doorman.

It was hell, it's how I feel empathy for poors.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 13, 2016

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
One of my friends, his wife was assassinated while she was driving with their daughter. My other friend was choked to death. Another friend had to dive into a McDonald drive through window but still got hit with 6 bullets. he poops into a bag now. from 2001 through 2011 I pretty much watched friends and acquaintances atleast once a week on headline news.

also this garbage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK85qFGX-YY

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
China, toxic air, toxic water, toxic food, rude people, horrible traffic, censorship and blind nationalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Everywhere I've lived that I didn't like at all it was more of a vibe... every place is good for someone, some times it's not good for you.

• Locked thread