Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.

I joined Steam nearly 10 years ago. Through Steam Sales, Humble Bundles, joke gifts from friends, and drunken impulse buys I've amassed a library of nearly 400 games. I've played about 50 of them. That's going to change.

I'm going to be playing every game in my Steam library, one after the other, in alphabetical order. Joining me will be my best friend Eric (Exquisite Dead Guy), my worst friend Tyler (TylerHendrix), and my occasional friend Mallory (stablercake). This is going to be a casual LP. Most games will be played blind. We will talk over cutscenes. Sometimes we will go long stretches without even talking about the game.

This is quite a heavy undertaking, and I don't think we could do it right if we didn't have some rules in place.

1) I must play every game in my Steam library that I have not already played. I may only skip a game if I have already invested a reasonable amount of time (a few hours, or I've beaten it already) playing it. I must disclose in the thread when I skip a game and why I've skipped it.

2) I must play every game not until the game is done, but until I am done. This means I have to make a valiant effort to play the game and try to enjoy it. I don't have to finish every game, but I will finish the ones that I really like.

3) If I buy a new game between now and the end of the Let's Play and it goes unplayed, I can circle back to it at any time within the LP.

4) My cohosts can call it quits on a game for me, but I reserve the right to veto if I'm having fun.

Please don't post spoilers for any game I'm playing. Please don't argue. Please don't be mean to me. Also, no olives.

1000 Amps
Alan Wake

Portal
Alan Wake's American Nightmare
And Yet It Moves
Anomaly Warzone Earth
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Atom Zombie Smasher
Ferrum Secrets: Where is Grandpa?
Autonomous (Prototype)
Audiosurf
Bad Rats

Bioshock 2
Block Story
Brazen (Prototype)
Breath of Death VII
Bumbledore
Bus Driver
Closure

Portal 2
Tacoma

samu3lk fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Let's Play 1000 Amps! - "Nintendojo"

Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 1: "Spaghetti"
Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 2: "Maurice"
Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 3: "Badabing"
Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 4: "Milady"
Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 5: "Murder"
Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 6: "Mitchell"
Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 7: "Barrel"
Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 8: "Hazzard"
Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 9: "Boys"
Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 10: "Mjolnir"
Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 11: "Hallelujah"
Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 12: "Cilantro"
Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 13: "Robbery"
Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 14: "Knobbly"
Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 15: "Homer"
Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 16: "Lincoln"
Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 17: "What"

samu3lk fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 9, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That's an interesting project. I might watch a few of those videos, if a game interests me, but this seems a bit intimidating.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Air is lava! posted:

That's an interesting project. I might watch a few of those videos, if a game interests me, but this seems a bit intimidating.

I am not afraid. I'm not afraid of ANYTHING.

Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 3: "Badabing"
In this episode we make an important discovery. We meet the Best Character in the Game. We also meet a special dodie and find a bad tire swing.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

samu3lk posted:

I am not afraid. I'm not afraid of ANYTHING.

Is this hubris or resolve? Can one gamer - any gamer - really try every game in his or her steam library?

They call to me sometimes. They say, "Hey Cathode, I know you bought me as part of a bundle for $1.99 at 3am, but I'm really good! Give me a chance!"

But I rarely answer. Mostly I just log a thousandth hour in XCOM or play through Human Revolution again. I am frightened of the list. I am frightened that the list has grown bigger than I am.

This thread is going to answer some pretty big questions and I am excited.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Cathode Raymond posted:

Is this hubris or resolve? Can one gamer - any gamer - really try every game in his or her steam library?

They call to me sometimes. They say, "Hey Cathode, I know you bought me as part of a bundle for $1.99 at 3am, but I'm really good! Give me a chance!"

But I rarely answer. Mostly I just log a thousandth hour in XCOM or play through Human Revolution again. I am frightened of the list. I am frightened that the list has grown bigger than I am.

This thread is going to answer some pretty big questions and I am excited.

Like an emperor who builds a palace of a thousand rooms, but never even sees most of them, our Steam libraries have grown to be monuments of our wealth and power which dwarf our own, frail, human selves. I am Ozymandias, king of kings, behold my Sims 4 add-on packs and despair.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Does this include games you happen to buy while this is going on, or get gifted?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Justin_Brett posted:

Does this include games you happen to buy while this is going on, or get gifted?

Or, to phrase the question another way: would you like to be forced to produce an LP of Bad Rats?

danmckechnie
Oct 12, 2010

obsessive compulsive, relentless, insulting;
offensive like feeding a vegan some dolphin.
Nice one! I started something similar a few months ago, with my goal being to have reviewed every game in my list. Can I help with your LP somehow?
God speed

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Justin_Brett posted:

Akratic Method posted:

Or, to phrase the question another way: would you like to be forced to produce an LP of Bad Rats?

We'll be getting there eventually.

And yeah, I am going to be doing games I get while this is going on. I'll circle back around every once in a while during the course of the LP to pick up the stragglers, but mostly I'll be going alphabetically.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Trying to stand on tables seems to be the most fun part of this game so far. (I tried playing it once and didn't even get as far as the ferry 20 mins into your first video).

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Trying to stand on tables seems to be the most fun part of this game so far. (I tried playing it once and didn't even get as far as the ferry 20 mins into your first video).

It starts wearing on me in the next couple episodes, but I'll keep giving it a chance because I get delighted by unintentional things.

Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 4: "Milady"
In this episode, Tyler honks. Some park ranger lies to us and lets his dodie disappear. He's a terrible dodie owner. We speculate on the contents of the thermoses. Also we all love screaming at Tyler.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 5: "Murder"
The Loudest Air Conditioner in the World makes an appearance in today's episode. We reunite with the hillbilly, bitch about how long this is taking, comment on the efficiency on lumberjacks, and I do a little drunk driving. This game is for the birds.

Also if you get this in time, I'm going to stream some Enter the Gungeon on my Hitbox at around 7:45 Eastern! I'm bad at it, but I like playing it!!

samu3lk fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 16, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I've had pretty much the same thought about Tim Burton before, but my theory was that he really wanted to watch Depp and Bonham Carter gently caress, but one or both of them wasn't into the idea so he had to keep pitching them movies and then once they've agreed to be in them he springs the surprise on them that they're playing lovers again.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Tim Burton is a desperate pervert.

My suspicions must be correct because another person agrees. I've got my eye on you, Burton.

Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 6: "Mitchell"

This Let's Play is the Natural Way to Male Enhancement. Barry gets to work, our foot falls asleep, and we begin the Wake Escape. After all that, we have to work ourselves around a Firewatch mod. How do you kill a hundred thousand birds??

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I write all the descriptions for these when I'm drunk and I like to see what I come up with.

Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 7: "Barrel"

The Wake Escape comes to its conclusion as Alan gets his cock cut off. This game is like an animal. Except it doesn't have any eyes or a head or legs. But it is a monster. We do some talking about Jesus. We do some literary critique. I somehow forget the controls in the middle of a session before we move on to speed run tricks. This video also has one of my favorite moments in the LP so far.

Yeah that's pretty accurate.

See you in a couple days!!!

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 8: "Hazzard"

This is the episode where it really starts wearing thin. We show off some true prowess behind the wheel, discuss Scooby-Doo, and just loving run for it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

samu3lk posted:

This is the episode where it really starts wearing thin.

Got to admit, I picked up my phone and started reading Twitter about half way through this one. You've managed to make Alan Wake much more entertaining to watch than to play, but even so there's only so much you can do.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Got to admit, I picked up my phone and started reading Twitter about half way through this one. You've managed to make Alan Wake much more entertaining to watch than to play, but even so there's only so much you can do.

Luckily some non-forest levels come up and we catch our second wind in the next few episodes.

I'm dead set on finishing this one. I can't give up on the SECOND GAME IN THE THREAD.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Rules notwithstanding, if a game becomes dull beyond the point of good videos being possible, I think you can call it once you've put a few hours into it.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Akratic Method posted:

Rules notwithstanding, if a game becomes dull beyond the point of good videos being possible, I think you can call it once you've put a few hours into it.

If that's the general consensus, then we can move on. We've recorded a few more Alan Wake episodes I can post as we go into the next game...

... which is Alan Wake's American Nightmare. Oy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

samu3lk posted:

If that's the general consensus, then we can move on. We've recorded a few more Alan Wake episodes I can post as we go into the next game...

... which is Alan Wake's American Nightmare. Oy.
Is it significantly different? Because if it's basically just more of the same, I'd probably load it up, play five minutes and go "Yep, done with that."

But as to the LP, it's yours, you do what you want. Maybe I'll skip a few videos if I get bored but I'll come back to it once you're done with Alan Wake.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Is it significantly different? Because if it's basically just more of the same, I'd probably load it up, play five minutes and go "Yep, done with that."

But as to the LP, it's yours, you do what you want. Maybe I'll skip a few videos if I get bored but I'll come back to it once you're done with Alan Wake.

We beat Alan Wake tonight, so I'll meet you halfway. I'll post two episodes at a time until it's over.

The next few episodes are a lot more light hearted as we ignore the game and just shoot the poo poo. If you want to know more about Alan Wake, sorry. If you want to know more about the time I almost bled to death and Mallory came to my house with a first aid kit, then keep watching.

Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 9: "Boys"
The Boys are Back! And in better spirits! The game starts getting silly and fun again, so let's keep going for a while. Let's Plays of old are discussed, then we go see the doctor. Having a good Goodie vs. Baddie ratio is crucial to a game's success.

Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 10: "Mjolnir"
Heavy fuckin' metal!!! We meet the second and third best characters in the game (after Barry). The Boys are Back again until we cast a spell. We show off another speed run trick that helps us finally conquer Barry.

Also Eric and I have been replaying Dark Souls 3 in preparation for the DLC and here's a video I made to document a glitch we encountered.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

OK, that was worth it for standing on Barry's head.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Tiggum posted:

OK, that was worth it for standing on Barry's head.

It was exactly what I needed to continue playing.

Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 11: "Hallelujah"
Please, no noise in the studio! We're trying to record a Let's Play here! Once we're out of the hedge maze, it's time to get religious because we're all good Christian soldiers. Get that basso profundo in there. They love that poo poo on the Cornball Station. Also this episode contains my favorite part in the game.

Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 12: "Cilantro"
Let's start the episode with some pop culture references, an argument, and me drinking a glass of soap. Most of this episode is a podcast where we talk about movies we watched as kids. Would you party with Barry Wheeler? Because we would.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Clayren posted:

Like an emperor who builds a palace of a thousand rooms, but never even sees most of them, our Steam libraries have grown to be monuments of our wealth and power which dwarf our own, frail, human selves. I am Ozymandias, king of kings, behold my Sims 4 add-on packs and despair.

quote:

Sims 4

Why on the Goddess's green earth did you buy that crap? People are supposed to be boycotting EA.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I'm so confused by this game. I thought it was just an idiot stumbling through the woods shooting at ghosts, but now there's an actual story with a villain? I feel like ///i shuld have been paying more attention, but that's probably not true.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I'm so confused by this game. I thought it was just an idiot stumbling through the woods shooting at ghosts, but now there's an actual story with a villain? I feel like ///i shuld have been paying more attention, but that's probably not true.

Jesus, wait until we get to the end. The ending was so stupid in thought there were multiple endings. There aren't.

Speaking of, last episode will be up on Friday.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Last 3 episodes will go up on Friday. I wanted to get this one over with. Then a couple palate cleansers and onto the uh... other Alan Wake game I own.

Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 13: "Robbery"
This is the episode nobody will watch. It's unlucky. The people in Bright Falls are all loving crooks and they poo poo where they eat. Cop Wife is conquered. With all this religious talk, I guess it's time we go to church.

Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 14: "Knobbly"
Remember that time Mallory saved me from bleeding to death while I was trying to cook fajitas for her and her boyfriend? We'll share some grocery tips, talk about comic books, Invader Zim, and Don Bluth, and Dom DeLuise. We might also talk about the video game Alan Wake.

See ya Friday.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Here it is. The grand finale. Three episodes of a Let's Play where the host and his commentators are at their wits' end.

Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 15: "Homer"
This stupid old lady is terrible at everything she does. We hate birds, but we love Barry. Is there anything in this world as powerful as Barry Wheeler? Is there anything more terrifying than something hitting your door while you're recording a Let's Play??

Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 16: "Lincoln"
I been driving a Lincoln since long before anybody paid me to drive one. I didn't do it to make a statement. I just liked it. Also my uncle sold me one for cheap when I was in college. I used to run over traffic cones and flatten shopping carts in it.

Let's Play Alan Wake! Episode 17: "What"
Hopes are high for American Nightmare. It can't possibly get worse than this. A fun game to play at home is to count how many times I moan "Oooh God" any time I have to do anything in this video. This has been the best Moose Festival ever. David Bowie never asked for this. RIP.

Okay, see you guys Monday with a new game.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I wonder how much of this game you can basically skip by just running straight for the next checkpoint and ignoring all enemies and collectables?

And how much of the production cost was spent on the music? Like, what percentage? Because I bet it's a lot.

Also, what is the story of this game? I'll take it as read that the ending makes no sense regardless, but I must have completely missed the bits where the antagonist was introduced and who the old woman was.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
For Alan Wake, the story is there's something super old under the lake that preys and feeds on creative types and effects reality based upon their imagination. It's real bad and you need to shine flashlights on it. Eventually it grabs you out of reality but Al is creative enough so that he's not totally subsumed by it, and then he has Quantum Leap adventures.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

After I saw the ending, I went online to see if there were multiple endings because the one we got made NO SENSE. I felt like I was missing a lot. The majority of what I found said "You have to read the pages to get the whole story," which makes me wonder why the writer didn't just write a drat book.

The problem is this is a video game. The story should come from the gameplay and cutscenes. To grind to a halt to read a few paragraphs of purple prose every 10 minutes takes away from the experience of playing a game. If I want to read, I open a book. If I want to play a video game, I don't play Alan Wake.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I really enjoyed this ride through Alan Wake. Then again, I enjoyed Alan Wake so :iiam:

Thanks for slaving through, guys. I enjoyed it from start to finish, even though you guys didn't.
I wish there was more to see you guys play through before American Nightmare...but you don't own the DLC, you say?

Bad news, Sam:

The PC version comes with the DLC, so you already own it & that means you have to play it! :smugbert:

i'm so sorry

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

samu3lk posted:

After I saw the ending, I went online to see if there were multiple endings because the one we got made NO SENSE. I felt like I was missing a lot. The majority of what I found said "You have to read the pages to get the whole story," which makes me wonder why the writer didn't just write a drat book.

It's funny you should say that. Because while the writer didn't, someone did.

I personally think the novel, which I do have and have read, is a lot better than the game. It works better as a story than it does as an interactive experience. And while the story isn't great, it is pretty solid once laid out in novel form.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Warmal posted:

It's funny you should say that. Because while the writer didn't, someone did.

I personally think the novel, which I do have and have read, is a lot better than the game. It works better as a story than it does as an interactive experience. And while the story isn't great, it is pretty solid once laid out in novel form.

Is the writing in the style of the in-game fragments?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

samu3lk posted:

The problem is this is a video game. The story should come from the gameplay and cutscenes. To grind to a halt to read a few paragraphs of purple prose every 10 minutes takes away from the experience of playing a game. If I want to read, I open a book. If I want to play a video game, I don't play Alan Wake.

Have you not played Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Fallout or any of those games where you have to read a codex to learn in-game things? Alan Wake is just another video game but with it's plot in the "codex" instead.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Have you not played Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Fallout or any of those games where you have to read a codex to learn in-game things? Alan Wake is just another video game but with it's plot in the "codex" instead.

You can get the basic idea of those stories by talking to NPCs and watching cutscenes. I've made no secret that Dark Souls is my favorite game and you get the basic "You're the chosen one, you have to kill the old gods" story just by playing the game. In Alan Wake, all of a sudden whoops the FBI is here. Better run instead of asking them to help me find my Spaghetti Bride.

oldskool posted:

The PC version comes with the DLC, so you already own it & that means you have to play it! :smugbert:

i'm so sorry

Your posts aren't showing up in the thread dude I can't read this for some reason weird it just looks blank to me.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

oldskool posted:

Bad news, Sam:

i'm so sorry

Your steam library is probably full of traps like these, OP. This is just the beginning.

Trickier even than this, what happens when you get to some game you have with those DLC's that aren't even really "content", they just give you in-game stuff all at once, like Dead Space DLC's that give you awesome armor and weapons and break the difficulty curve? Do you disable those? They're technically part of your steam library! You have to play the game with them! Or do you? I don't know!

These and other questions have no easy answers. I maintain that playing through a whole steam library simply can't be done. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

samu3lk posted:

You can get the basic idea of those stories by talking to NPCs and watching cutscenes. I've made no secret that Dark Souls is my favorite game and you get the basic "You're the chosen one, you have to kill the old gods" story just by playing the game. In Alan Wake, all of a sudden whoops the FBI is here. Better run instead of asking them to help me find my Spaghetti Bride.

True, but what kind of hero lets the FBI take him in instead of leading them on a wild and thrilling chase? That doesn't sell books. :c00lbutt:

I'm just messing with you. Alan Wake feels more like it was written for the ScyFy crowd, who don't care about things like continuity or coherence.

• Locked thread