Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.

oldskool posted:

I shouldn't have cackled every time Mallory made a cat-throwing-up sound effect but drat if I didn't :laffo:

Good because you know the philosophy of the show: if it's funny once, it'll be funny the next 400 times we do it.

Let's Play Ferrum's Secrets: Where is Grandpa Part 3 - "Tooms From X-Files"
Safety first. We need to put on our helmet. Or helmets. Five helmets. Who cares if you want to cram the helmet and everything around you up your rear end. That's FINE. Just keep knives and razors out of there. Also, keep your bad attitude out of this LP and gently caress right off!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Didn't expect a Powerpuff Girls reference, but, well, Baboons do Kabooms.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

oldskool posted:

Didn't expect a Powerpuff Girls reference, but, well, Baboons do Kabooms.

That can't be a coincidence.

HEY. Something funny happened to me today and I'm gonna plug something here because it means a lot to me. There's a YouTube channel called 50 Ducks in a Hot Tub. This crazy Canadian dude named Matt raises a flock of free-range ducks and donates anything he doesn't personally need to survive to homeless shelters and food banks. He documents every moment of his duck-farming adventure on YouTube. This year he donated 576 ducks to feed the homeless. He fed a LOT of hungry people.

The whole operation is funded by donations. As some of you may know, I'm an illustrator and cartoonist and I draw all the time when I'm not screaming at lovely video games. I donated a drawing to 50 Ducks and Matt is using it as a t-shirt design. If you donate to the channel to help feed the ducks, WHICH IN TURN helps feed the homeless, you get a cool t-shirt with a drawing I did on it.

I don't get anything if you donate, and Matt didn't pay me anything to do the drawing, but a couple of bucks can help Matt feed a lot of hungry people.This is one of the few charities I can think of where you can actively watch the day-by-day progress of your donation, though.

ANYWAY THANKS SORRY I JUST LOVE THIS poo poo.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Hi everybody, it's me Samuel K. Sorry I posted about a charity I helped, but here are two episodes of a video game I played while my friends and I cussed at each other.

Let's Play Ferrum's Secrets: Where is Grandpa? FINALE - "Are We Recording This?"
Hi my name is Saul and this is the last episode of this Let's Play and our season finale. I'm with my friends R.C., Tyr, and Maoly. We're gonna struggle with some writing utensils, steampunk levitation powers, and guilt over crippling some men in stupid looking armor. We'll accidentally solve the last few puzzles and then go on a trip through the WORLD WIDE WEB to find other HOG games. They're getting us THIRSTY FOR IT!!! No. No? No. What? BLEGHT!!

Let's Play Ferrum's Secrets: Lemuria: Lost in Space: "Part Five??"
Sorry. We played the new game for a few minutes and season 2 is over. This game seriously crashes in a few minutes so you can skip this video. Sorry.

samu3lk fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 26, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I hope this is still going because I've really been enjoying it.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I hope this is still going because I've really been enjoying it.

Oh yeah, we're still working on it. I've been kinda stressed in real life lately and haven't gotten around to uploading videos and making thumbnails and stuff.

I've got like 5 videos recorded and I'll work on getting them out. The next few I'll put out all at once because they're LIGHTNING ROUND games where jI didn't want to play any of them for more than like 15 minutes.

Also, here's a video of me by myself streaming the new Dark Souls III DLC if you want to see that. I do really bad

samu3lk fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 6, 2017

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Okay, here we go. Let's crunch trough this backlog.

Let's Play Autonomous (Prototype)! - "Chromatic Aberation"
Ah yes, the DoubleFine Amnesia Fortnight. Who could forget this great event? Me, apparently. I once compared the DoubleFine mailing list to when your dentist sends you a postcard on your birthday. It's a desperate reminder to say "Remember me? Remember when I cleaned your teeth real good? Please come back." except DoubleFine is saying "Remember me? Remember when you played Psychonauts?"

Let's Play Audisurf! - "Ornstein and Smough"
Not a lot to say about this game either. It's like Guitar Hero and Tetris, but involves more random modifiers, less skill, less precision, and more work. gently caress it. The music in this episode loving owns though.

Let's Play Bad Rats! - "A Episode of My Let's Play"
I'm not sure I really get the joke of this game? It's kinda lovely and it's almost always free? Here it is though, we played it.

COMING UP: OTHER GAMES I OWN ON STEAM. WE ARE NOT DONE YET.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

samu3lk posted:

Let's Play Audisurf! - "Ornstein and Smough"
Not a lot to say about this game either. It's like Guitar Hero and Tetris, but involves more random modifiers, less skill, less precision, and more work. gently caress it. The music in this episode loving owns though.
I actually really enjoy this game. I don't much like Guitar Hero or Rock Band, because I find that I don't even notice the music in those games, I'm entirely focused on which buttons to press (and the gimmicky controllers do nothing for me). But this game, I can listen to the music, and since it uses your own MP3s it's music I really like. I like picking out which song to do next, I like seeing what kind of track each song generates, I like seeing how many other people have played that song and how I compared to them. When I play it I end up spending way too much time on it and then my wrist hurts for the next month or so because I played it way too much.

samu3lk posted:

Let's Play Bad Rats! - "A Episode of My Let's Play"
I'm not sure I really get the joke of this game? It's kinda lovely and it's almost always free? Here it is though, we played it.
Yeah, I've played way worse games than this. I'm not sure why this game is the standard joke gift.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I actually really enjoy this game. I don't much like Guitar Hero or Rock Band, because I find that I don't even notice the music in those games, I'm entirely focused on which buttons to press (and the gimmicky controllers do nothing for me). But this game, I can listen to the music, and since it uses your own MP3s it's music I really like. I like picking out which song to do next, I like seeing what kind of track each song generates, I like seeing how many other people have played that song and how I compared to them. When I play it I end up spending way too much time on it and then my wrist hurts for the next month or so because I played it way too much.

Yeah, it's fine. A lot of times in this LP, I'm going to say I don't like or care for a game. That's not to say it's a bad game, but it's just not for me. I didn't get a lot out of Audiosurf.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Wizards have their own hospitals/doctors. Remember Madame Pomfrey who can use an elixir to literally grow bones back in the human body. Any broken bones can probably just be Reparo'd if the wizard is competent as well. Also St Mungoes for magical illnesses/pathogens, although it's unclear what they do about muggle illnesses. Draco dies of Tuberculosis because the Malfoys are too prejudiced to attend a muggle hospital maybe :P

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, I've played way worse games than this. I'm not sure why this game is the standard joke gift.

The "right solution" routinely takes multiple tries because either a rat or the ball wandered outside the map via the Z-axis (at 6 minutes the ballooned-batter rat starts floating outside the map, for example), or just because the physics seems to run on some form of RNG that means the exact same layout doesn't give the exact same result every time. That plus a really low price (IIRC when it took off as The Joke Game it was a 90% discount of a $5 base price, selling for 49 cents)

Also people have put way more than thirteen minutes into the game, thank you very much :colbert:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

samu3lk posted:

"Remember me? Remember when you played Psychonauts?"

Hot take alert: I thought Psychonauts was bad. Maybe it was good in 2004 but I played it years after that and just didn't like it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Hot take alert: I thought Psychonauts was bad. Maybe it was good in 2004 but I played it years after that and just didn't like it.

:same:

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Hotter takes alert: I think Shadow of the Colossus, Banjo-Kazooie, and Earthbound are all terrible, unplayable games. At least every level in Psychonauts is artistically distinct and colorful and interesting to look at, even if it suffers in the gameplay department once in a while.

Speaking of interesting to look at, here's a video game that is anything but!!

Let's Play Bioshock 2! - Part 1: "The Bioshark"
Let's Play Bioshock 2! - Part 2: "Za Warudo!"
Let's Play BioShock 2! - Part 3: "Giant Art Thief"
Let's Play BioShock 2! - Part 4: "The Starch Sphere"
Let's Play BioShock 2! - Part 5: "Batman and the Flash"
Let's Play BioShock 2! - Part 6: "Enough is Enough"

samu3lk fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 27, 2017

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

HEY. I start cheating in this episode.

Let's Play Bioshock 2! - Part 2: "Za Warudo!"
Wake up, sheeple. Back at it again at the Underwater Libertarian Utopia Rapture! In this episode, I accidentally discover the console command menu and then all bets are off. We get bored of the game and talk about milkshakes and the Big Bopper (yes, again). Also: Depressing Childhood Storytime!

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

It's been a while because I kinda ran out of steam doing this. Ran out of STEAM? Get it?

I've got a backlog to work through so I'm posting them. Here we go!!

Let's Play BioShock 2! - Part 3: "Giant Art Thief"
Please support our troops by watching this episode of my Let's Play. Eric wants all the clown sex to himself because he's a degenerate. Meanwhile, we switch to a third-person view so we can watch a child get ripped to pieces. Luckily for that child, we get distracted by some giant cursors, FOV problems, and country music lyrics. Then the game crashes. Game crashes will be a theme in upcoming episodes.

I'm also doing a super casual, boring, me-by-myself playthrough of Breath of the Wild you can watch here.

samu3lk fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 20, 2017

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm surprised more people aren't following this thread. The claim in the title alone made me go holy poo poo, this guy is either destined for insanity, or already there. I am enjoying working through these, while also avoiding playing my own Steam games.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Zoe posted:

I'm surprised more people aren't following this thread. The claim in the title alone made me go holy poo poo, this guy is either destined for insanity, or already there. I am enjoying working through these, while also avoiding playing my own Steam games.

It's probably because I occasionally go months without updating.

Anyway, here's another one from the backlog, rife with some childhood trauma stories.

Let's Play BioShock 2! - Part 4: "The Starch Sphere"
The fears my Aunt Bobie instilled in me as a child have no sway on me as an adult. So mote it be. Tyler is concerned about my mane. Also gently caress Ken Levine, no matter what Eric says. My father has weird ideas about how to eat spaghetti. Believe as I do and impose your will upon reality. James is not real. JAMES. IS. NOT. REAL.

Also I recorded a new BOTW video on Friday with Eric and Mallory if you want to watch that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That third level in Bioshock 2 is the best for atmosphere if playing seriously. You get to see what was supposed to be just an amusement park for the locals, but it was actually bastardised by Andrew Ryan and turned into a propaganda piece about the "horrors" of the surface world. The thing with the Artist was one good example - "The artist strives to encapulate an idea in an image. The ultimate ideal of purest beauty.*artist mannequin stands triumphant* But the Parasite says "No! *giand hand of the state comes down from above* You're art must serve the state! There must be a purpose!" Andrew Ryan had censored his park builder in the same way he accuses the surface of censoring ideas, but the irony is lost on him as he is a complete narcissist.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

samu3lk posted:

rife with some childhood trauma stories.

This is the kind of stuff that keeps me watching.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Tiggum posted:

This is the kind of stuff that keeps me watching.

Thank God. I was worried that people wanted to witness my gaming prowess.

In these videos we talk about old comic books. Sorry to disappoint.

Here are two new episodes. Also, these are the FINAL TWO EPISODES. Because the game kept crashing and I ran out of patience.

Let's Play BioShock 2! - Part 5: "Batman and the Flash"
Let's talk about gorillas. They're strong, they're fast, they're also basically interchangeable with all your favorite super heroes. We're also going to talk about crimes we did, court dates, speeding tickets, whatever.

Let's Play BioShock 2! - Part 6: "Enough is Enough"
Eric is looking for an easy ammo cheat, but these frequent crashes are nipping at the end of my patience. We also reminisce about the good parts of the first BioShock game. You know, the parts with the ninjas. Also the parts where you get a big mess of meat to spice and burn. Whatever.

Goodbye, Eric.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I always liked the Vending Machines, the Circus of Values and the Ammo Banditos. They're cute :3:

Also, I liked the Lore in the first two games as to why the splicers wear those masks - when the "world" ended and rapture fell, that night everyone was attending a Masquerade ball. Those masks are the costumes, they just never bothered to remove them due to their madness. I like Bioshock 2 because the intro shows the fall of Rapture, as the first few citizens fall to their madness then the bombs go off, just before Sophia Lamb wrecks you. I also like the addition of the Sportsboost addicts, the Gorilla type enemy that crashed your game in the penultimate video.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 27, 2017

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I always liked the Vending Machines, the Circus of Values and the Ammo Banditos. They're cute :3:

Also, I liked the Lore in the first two games as to why the splicers wear those masks - when the "world" ended and rapture fell, that night everyone was attending a Masquerade ball. Those masks are the costumes, they just never bothered to remove them due to their madness. I like Bioshock 2 because the intro shows the fall of Rapture, as the first few citizens fall to their madness then the bombs go off, just before Sophia Lamb wrecks you. I also like the addition of the Sportsboost addicts, the Gorilla type enemy that crashed your game in the penultimate video.

I really liked the first BioShock and now that I've played 2 and Infinite, I feel like they lay it on a little thick. The first one felt really novel to me but that schtick just became kinda hokey. I do like the enemy designs in these games though. The big stupid Uncle Sam murderbots in Infinite are great.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

WE ARE DONE WITH THE BACKLOG.

Black Lake (Prototype)! - "Ricki Lake"
It's another Double Fine Amnesia Fortnight Protype! We're off to the races with some technical difficulties, then a misunderstanding of how the game works and poor gameplay. So basically, it's like all my Let's Plays. I kinda liked this one and wouldn't mind seeing more like it. Immediately after we stopped recording, I figured out how to end the demo. There was like 4 more seconds of gameplay. OH WELL.

We're gonna start recording the next games tonight. Good God why am I doing this why did this happen to me

samu3lk fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 2, 2017

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm sorry to do this to you guys, but I'm going to introduce you to somebody in this video.

Let's Play Block Story! - Part 1: "Hugo Square"
Let's Play Block Story! - Part 2: "Twelve Dragons"
Let's Play Block Story! - Part 3: "Truckin' Conboy"

samu3lk fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 30, 2017

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I keep wanting to call this game "Cave Story" but that is a much different, much better game.

Let's Play Block Story! - Part 2: "Twelve Dragons"
Look, I wasn't expecting to do a second episode of this either but I'm being called by Hugo Square. According to his will, I have attacked the wizard known as Santa Claus. We do a little more poking around, find basically nothing, and decide to move on... to another Block Story episode.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

For those of you interested, Block Story is $1.49 during the Summer Steam Sale. You too can meet Hugo Square!!

Let's Play Block Story! - Part 3: "Truckin' Conboy"
This is it. The last video of Block Story. It's time to move on. We may return someday, but for now, it's goodbye dragons. Goodbye, Santa. Goodbye small horses. Goodbye, Yeti South. Goodbye, Hugo Square. God may forgive you, but I never will. Hugo Squares don't die. They multiply.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Just when I think I'm out............ THEY PULL ME BACK IN

Let's Play Brazen! - "Sponsors"
A little bit of housekeeping before we look at another of the Amnesia Fortnight prototypes of MYSTERIOUS ORIGIN. It's a star-studded Let's Play extravaganza!! Just a quickie since it's not a full game. Don't forget to find us on Friendster and MySpace.

Let's Play Breath of Death VII - "Go gently caress Yourself and Bury Yourself Alive"
One thing I didn't consider when starting this project was the possibility of me having to play a JRPG. If given the choice between playing a JRPG and putting my hand in a mouse trap, I'd ask you how many fingers I'd have to risk before making my decision. I'm angry two minutes into this video. I'm not sorry.

Let's Play Bumbledore! - "Ghostly in Nature"
Can you find a better friend than Zappy? Can you find anything to say about Bumbledore? Can you play a better game than Bumbledore? Was OJ Simpson the worst assassin? The answers to these questions and more............ may surprise you!!

Let's Play Bus Driver!- "High Hopes"
I'm about sick of that four-eyes milquetoast nerd Janice and her loving attitude. She makes me sick and I want to throw up. Also this game makes me sick because crashing the bus wasn't as fun as I expected. Just tap it.

Let's Play Closure! - "Gummin Up the Works"
Finally, at long last, we're playing a game I kinda enjoy before I get frustrated with it. My friends get frustrated with me because I'm too stupid to play puzzle games. We argue and fight.

I got really discouraged to do this LP after playing so many lovely games in a row and it took me forever to make thumbnails and stuff for them BUT THEY'RE UP NOW!! They're also all really short except Closure. We're halfway through recording the next game which will be posted soon. It's one I actually like and it's longer than one episode.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

This is you playing Bus Driver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka9wDpNx2ag

I love that movie...

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

This is you playing Bus Driver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka9wDpNx2ag

I love that movie...

If it was me I'd be drunk and the bus would just crash into the ground in a huge fireball. No survivors.

The good news about Bus Driver is later that night Eric blacked out on Ambien and bought me this:

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

OKAY! Back in the saddle with a NORMAL UPDATE. After playing a ton of bad games in a row, I thought it was time for another palate cleanser and since my first one was Portal...

Let's Play Portal 2! - Part 1: "Something Stupid Like That"
Let's Play Portal 2! - Part 2: "A Baby That's Seen Some Stuff"
Let's Play Portal 2! - Part 3: "Hardwick vs. Aukerman"
Let's Play Portal 2! - Part 4: "Milk"
Let's Play Portal 2! - Part 5: "Splashing That White Stuff"
Let's Play Portal 2! - Part 6: "My Father"
Let's Play Portal 2! - Part 7: "The Part Where He Kills You"

samu3lk fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 11, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

You're a terrible cartoon: The Three Friends and Mallory!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I feel like the Portal games would be much better as straight puzzle games with no story or characters. The whole time I was playing I was just impatient for the characters to shut the gently caress up and leave me alone so I could do more puzzles. And those sections where you're not in test chambers but exploring the "off-limits" areas were mostly tedious and boring compared with the actual test chambers.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I feel like the Portal games would be much better as straight puzzle games with no story or characters. The whole time I was playing I was just impatient for the characters to shut the gently caress up and leave me alone so I could do more puzzles. And those sections where you're not in test chambers but exploring the "off-limits" areas were mostly tedious and boring compared with the actual test chambers.

You've been following the thread for a while so you know I always get irritated with cutscenes and story in games but oh boy Portal is the exception for me.

I don't really like comedy in general but something about the balance of Aperture/GLaDOS/Cave Johnson being simultaneously so impressive and brilliant while also being so weirdly inept and impractical really hits my funny bone. It's a big part of the appeal to the games for me.

Basically I'm saying your opinion is the worst I've ever read.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Well Sammy, I guess you've discovered Tiggum :v:

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Well Sammy, I guess you've discovered Tiggum :v:

Tiggum, I believe BioEnchanted just called you out. It is 100% okay if you two fight each other in my thread.

Also it's 100% okay if you watch another of my rambling, nonsense Let's Play videos.

Let's Play Portal 2! - Part 2: "A Baby That's Seen Some Stuff"
Baying mournfully at the sky is the #1 way to express the pain of loss. It's Portal Lore. We also mourn the loss of Valve as a software developer. Let's check out some Easter Eggs, and the politically correct way to refer to the Bullet People of the Labs. Did you hear one of the Homestar Runner guys died? It's true. Then we're off to church.

Also how many of my videos start with me immediately saying "Ding Dong"? It seems like a lot of them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

samu3lk posted:

Tiggum, I believe BioEnchanted just called you out. It is 100% okay if you two fight each other in my thread.

If I reacted every time someone said something like that I'd never get anything else done.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Is there a reason that there is no game audio?

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Is there a reason that there is no game audio?

Audio got weird over a few recording sessions. I didn't notice until we lost like 2 hours of video because it was all inaudible. I think I've fixed the problem now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

We fixed most of the audio problems. I THINK. It's still a little soft. I'm sorry.

Let's Play Portal 2! - Part 3: "Hardwick vs. Aukerman"
More complaining about how Valve doesn't make games anymore. We're really trying to send a message here. It's always wise to take some time to listen to prophecy. Then we jump right into a podcast host mix-up. Whoops!! Also I give you my recipe to make a wet potato.

Also we did a stream of the second half of Tacoma. We streamed the first half but the audio was UNUSABLE which was a theme in the last couple weeks of recording. Also this video has a bunch of people who aren't normally in my videos...!! BIGTIME SPOILERS FOR TACOMA!!!!

Let's Stream Tacoma! - "More Stupider"
We recorded our first part of playing Tacoma and the audio was lost, so here's the second half. We do a decent job of explaining the plot, I think. Things get kinda dirty in this one. There's naked boobs, we find a guy's spank bang, and we see a tampon.

I'm wanting to do streams more often so the best place to find out if I'm doing one is on my Twitter. Thank you. God bless.

• Locked thread