Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

samu3lk posted:

The problem is this is a video game. The story should come from the gameplay and cutscenes. To grind to a halt to read a few paragraphs of purple prose every 10 minutes takes away from the experience of playing a game. If I want to read, I open a book. If I want to play a video game, I don't play Alan Wake.

Have you not played Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Fallout or any of those games where you have to read a codex to learn in-game things? Alan Wake is just another video game but with it's plot in the "codex" instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

samu3lk posted:

You can get the basic idea of those stories by talking to NPCs and watching cutscenes. I've made no secret that Dark Souls is my favorite game and you get the basic "You're the chosen one, you have to kill the old gods" story just by playing the game. In Alan Wake, all of a sudden whoops the FBI is here. Better run instead of asking them to help me find my Spaghetti Bride.

True, but what kind of hero lets the FBI take him in instead of leading them on a wild and thrilling chase? That doesn't sell books. :c00lbutt:

I'm just messing with you. Alan Wake feels more like it was written for the ScyFy crowd, who don't care about things like continuity or coherence.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I played Anomaly Korea first. It's a lot better and the controls are much smoother. I uninstalled this game (which is the first, there's a total of three of them I think) after playing ten minutes.

You can clearly tell this was a mobile phone game just by the HUD and menus.

• Locked thread