Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Considering how hard you were ignoring the plot of Alan Wake, it's not surprising you didn't get what happened. Here's a summary:

There is a entity in the water of cauldron lake called the "Darkness" - in the 1970s Tom Zane and Barbara Jagger, two lovers, come to stay at the Bird Leg Cabin, Tom an aspiring poet. Barbara dies while there and Tom in his grief is approached by the Darkness with an offer - to write her back to life using it's power. However, Tom doesn't know that the Darkness is influencing how he writes, and the Barbara that comes back isn't the real thing but an empty husk controlled by the Darkness - The Darkness is using her as bait to lure Thomas into writing a story that will allow it to gain victims by proxy - the more victims the stronger it gets until it eventually will be able to break free of the lake on it's own and become unstoppable - it tries this trick with every creative type who comes near, including the Rockstars Tor and Odin who eventually wise up to it's tricks and start working against it. You may have noticed that in the Lodge one of the patients had started painting shadow people, likely the Darkness was influencing him to give it's agents physical form. At some point during this Cynthia, the eventual Lamp Lady, falls for Tom and as a result starts taking an interest in him and Barbara's affairs - likely this was when she first learned of the Darkness and noticed it had replaced Barbara, eventually lewading to her obsession with light and keeping all the lightbulbs in town in working order.

Tom, after failing to defeat the husk by hacking out it's heart only to find it has none (hence the hole) eventually breaks free of the Darkness's influence by writing himself out of the world entirely (after entrusting a Mcguffin he created to hurt the darkness, the clicker, to Cynthia for safekeeping), erasing his existence to trap it because now there is no Tom to give it form - this may have been the disaster that destroyed the cabin and island 30 years ago. Possibly he uses his influence to make a future author's mother pass a clicker on to him as part of a side-plot in his story so that Alan can eventually realise it's significance and use it. This part is a little muddled.

30 Years Later Alan arrives for a vacation, arranged by his wife in an attempt to inspire him again. The husk that was once Barbara Jagger tricks Alan with a key to the no-longer existing cabin which it uses the same techniques as it used to recreate Barbara to "rebuild". At this point this fake Barbara is a known entity, known by the Old Gods as Baba Yaga (Notice the similarity in sound to Barbara Jagger :v:) and Cynthia as The Witch.

The Darkness eventually attempts to force Alan into the same situation as Tom, but Tom is able to manifest himself as a powerful light and guide Alan via the manuscript Barbara sits him down to write near the end of the game to break Alan out of the cycle. Then the game happens and Alan pieces things together, gets the Clicker, uses it to fill Barbara's shade with it's mythical light destroying her, and sacrifices himself to life in the darkness so that his wife can escape. The FBI agent was likely corrupted from the start, driven to "Guide" Alan by chasing him exactly where Barbara needed him. The Mr Scratch that was mentioned appeared to imply that if Alan had failed, Mr Scratch would have taken over his body and become a similar entity to Barbara Jagger. This is all given to you by information in the first game.

Spoiled ther final sentence as I can't remember is that isn't mentioned until American Nightmare.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Tiggum posted:

Having watched the entire LP, I have no idea where you got any of this from. What's the "clicker"?

I played the game before and I always pay attention to cutscenes, even if the plot is dumb, because I like to know why characters are doing anything. The clicker was the lightswitch that Alan and Tom kept as a warding charm against the dark.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

One thing I'm noticing is that you are completely ignoring instructions or plot that the games give you, which makes it frustrating to watch when you don't get something that the audience noticed right away, like the "Fall on slopes to avoid fall damage" mechanic that, even after it was pointed out to you, you basically never made use of. If you paid closer attention to the text you may find yourself having more fun with this because you would know what was going on, and you would know what the games expect of you instead of falling to "Where do I GO! The game isn't telling me. Can I land on this black line that the game already taught me is a bottomless pit last time I tried it :supaburn:" Not trying to be a dick, but I've enjoyed a lot of janky games because I paid attention and knew what the games expected of me. After that it's just a matter of learning exactly how floaty a jump is, or how to accurately do a weird thing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Edit: Nevermind, literally 30 seconds later.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

One good thing about Brotherhood, Revelations and 3, they pay off the modern day stuff quite well I thought.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

To explain the finger thing - in Altair's time the finger cutting was necessary to use the hidden blade, as a show of devotion to the cause you were literally sacrificing a few grams of flesh to the assassins. However, when the blade was repaired by Leonardo DaVinci in the second game he modified it to no longer need the sacrifice, so since then all assassins have been whole.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Well sam I'm glad to have apparently been able to unite the thread by becoming the villain (Not puppetmastering I just found it funny how things worked out). If it helps I'm glad to see you being good at Assasins Creed Brotherhood, I liked the Ezio Trilogy.

I'm the poster this thread needs but not the poster that it deserves... :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

You're worst nightmare - the final boss of Assassins Creed Brotherhood is a quiz on roman history. YOU SHOULD HAVE READ THE DATALOGS YOU FOOL!

Edit: If I ever bought myself an avatar it would be School-Teacher-glasses Junko with the text "Are you even paying attention?"

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 21, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

For future reference if you get lost telling shops apart: Some are obvious, like the Art Merchant is just Merchante del Artes, but the Blacksmith and Tailor are trickier - the Blacksmith's sign says Fabbro, so if you are trying to find one that's what to look for. Fabbro=Fabricate, to make. They fabricate weapons. The Tailor's name is Sarto - Sarto is italian for "To Cut" used to describe cutting one's flesh ie tattooing but also cutting fabrics to make clothing.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Dec 23, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Mezzo Soprano is Eric's family name but you all sing in baritone that makes you all the same :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I had trouble pronouncing Cesare as well. I kept getting it mixed up with english pronunciation and calling him Seezar-eh, when in game he is referred to with the italian Che-za-rei

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

For Hidden Object Games, you should try Drawn: The Painted Tower, and it's sequel. Not a HOG fan but I enjoyed those.

Holy poo poo: Panjandrum is an actual word -

panjandrum
panˈdʒandrəm
noun
a person who has or claims to have a great deal of authority or influence.
"the greatest scientific panjandrum of the 19th century"

From Dictionary.com

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 12, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Wizards have their own hospitals/doctors. Remember Madame Pomfrey who can use an elixir to literally grow bones back in the human body. Any broken bones can probably just be Reparo'd if the wizard is competent as well. Also St Mungoes for magical illnesses/pathogens, although it's unclear what they do about muggle illnesses. Draco dies of Tuberculosis because the Malfoys are too prejudiced to attend a muggle hospital maybe :P

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

That third level in Bioshock 2 is the best for atmosphere if playing seriously. You get to see what was supposed to be just an amusement park for the locals, but it was actually bastardised by Andrew Ryan and turned into a propaganda piece about the "horrors" of the surface world. The thing with the Artist was one good example - "The artist strives to encapulate an idea in an image. The ultimate ideal of purest beauty.*artist mannequin stands triumphant* But the Parasite says "No! *giand hand of the state comes down from above* You're art must serve the state! There must be a purpose!" Andrew Ryan had censored his park builder in the same way he accuses the surface of censoring ideas, but the irony is lost on him as he is a complete narcissist.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I always liked the Vending Machines, the Circus of Values and the Ammo Banditos. They're cute :3:

Also, I liked the Lore in the first two games as to why the splicers wear those masks - when the "world" ended and rapture fell, that night everyone was attending a Masquerade ball. Those masks are the costumes, they just never bothered to remove them due to their madness. I like Bioshock 2 because the intro shows the fall of Rapture, as the first few citizens fall to their madness then the bombs go off, just before Sophia Lamb wrecks you. I also like the addition of the Sportsboost addicts, the Gorilla type enemy that crashed your game in the penultimate video.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 27, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

This is you playing Bus Driver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka9wDpNx2ag

I love that movie...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

You're a terrible cartoon: The Three Friends and Mallory!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Well Sammy, I guess you've discovered Tiggum :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Is there a reason that there is no game audio?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Eric, you broke Sam :ohdear:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

With Portal I always considered that GLaDOS wasn't insane due to the computer part, but for the part that was Caroline. After all her boss had her murdered and her brain shoved into a computer. It's not surprising that she's so annoyed with Chell, that wasn't the first time she died even if she didn't consciously remember, but we see that the part that is the body only exists to make the core want to test, and the only thing the core cares about is the science. I wouldn't be surprised if the initial Neurotoxin attack, initially thought to be a computer losing her mind, was actually Caroline taking revenge in the only way she could, taking advantage of Cave's naivete to gather the tools she needed to make her move. By the time we meet her, Caroline herself has been strapped down with so many cores trying to drown her out that she has forgotten everything that she was, all she remembers is burning hot rage, so she takes it out on anyone who happens to get close to her, drowning her anger in irrelevant data, incorrect facts, recipes for bakes goods and even a competing rage core trying to make her forget why she was mad in the first place. Caroline is nothing more than a ghost in the machine, she may as well be another core trying to drown out GLaDOS's better judgement by the end, so like all the others, she has to go.

In a way, the Portal games are not an escape, but a rescue - Chell saves GLaDOS from Caroline, and Apertures toxic environment finally allowing her to work in peace. In destroying her cores in the first game, and letting her know Caroline existed in 2, she gives her clarity of purpose that she never knew she didn't have.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Lagging behind currently at episode 4, but could it be that the off-centre interact cursor is trying to be realistic? The hand always appears relative to the cursor in the same positions hands would appear relative to your eye - you don't open things with your cursor because you don't open things with your eyes, maybe? Or is it just poor calibration? Also that rat you followed was actually adorable. Just sitting up expectantly at each corner waiting for you like a puppy. :3:

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 8, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I always prefer watching these horror games to playing them because I find the tension to be far too much just in the atmosphere. From Silent Hill 2 to Soma I get about 5 minutes in, the atmosphere builds and I just go "nope." and close the window. Oddly enough though, some games I'm fine with, I got quite far into the original F.E.A.R, Silent Hill 3 and Fatal Frame/Project Zero, for the first two I just stopped as I think I just didn't feel like picking them back up again, and for the last one I got stuck at a fairly late-game boss. I don't know what it is that delineates which horror games I can get through and which ones overload me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Honestly watching DreadOut, it definitely feels much less polished than Fatal Frame. I liked the way Fatal Frame used it's harmless ghosts as tutorials in a way even though some early ones were really easily missable due to how fast they went by, and the more freeform camera angle made it much easier to fight ghosts without being annoyed, as it seems that enemies in this like to get behind you and make you tank-spin 720 degreed before you spot them again. Although I do like the design of the Pig, how it has a normal boar face when just looking at it but as soon as the camera goes up you see the human face. That's cool.

As an aside BTW, Sam, did you ever play Get Even? It has a really good story so even if in your spare time and not in thread I highly recommend it. The presentation and music are fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

In part 2 did you ever notice that she was following the lines of the pentagram? Just stand between the points.

• Locked thread