Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
For Alan Wake, the story is there's something super old under the lake that preys and feeds on creative types and effects reality based upon their imagination. It's real bad and you need to shine flashlights on it. Eventually it grabs you out of reality but Al is creative enough so that he's not totally subsumed by it, and then he has Quantum Leap adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

BioEnchanted posted:

Considering how hard you were ignoring the plot of Alan Wake, it's not surprising you didn't get what happened. Here's a summary:

There is a entity in the water of cauldron lake called the "Darkness" - in the 1970s Tom Zane and Barbara Jagger, two lovers, come to stay at the Bird Leg Cabin, Tom an aspiring poet. Barbara dies while there and Tom in his grief is approached by the Darkness with an offer - to write her back to life using it's power. However, Tom doesn't know that the Darkness is influencing how he writes, and the Barbara that comes back isn't the real thing but an empty husk controlled by the Darkness - The Darkness is using her as bait to lure Thomas into writing a story that will allow it to gain victims by proxy - the more victims the stronger it gets until it eventually will be able to break free of the lake on it's own and become unstoppable - it tries this trick with every creative type who comes near, including the Rockstars Tor and Odin who eventually wise up to it's tricks and start working against it. You may have noticed that in the Lodge one of the patients had started painting shadow people, likely the Darkness was influencing him to give it's agents physical form. At some point during this Cynthia, the eventual Lamp Lady, falls for Tom and as a result starts taking an interest in him and Barbara's affairs - likely this was when she first learned of the Darkness and noticed it had replaced Barbara, eventually lewading to her obsession with light and keeping all the lightbulbs in town in working order.

Tom, after failing to defeat the husk by hacking out it's heart only to find it has none (hence the hole) eventually breaks free of the Darkness's influence by writing himself out of the world entirely (after entrusting a Mcguffin he created to hurt the darkness, the clicker, to Cynthia for safekeeping), erasing his existence to trap it because now there is no Tom to give it form - this may have been the disaster that destroyed the cabin and island 30 years ago. Possibly he uses his influence to make a future author's mother pass a clicker on to him as part of a side-plot in his story so that Alan can eventually realise it's significance and use it. This part is a little muddled.

30 Years Later Alan arrives for a vacation, arranged by his wife in an attempt to inspire him again. The husk that was once Barbara Jagger tricks Alan with a key to the no-longer existing cabin which it uses the same techniques as it used to recreate Barbara to "rebuild". At this point this fake Barbara is a known entity, known by the Old Gods as Baba Yaga (Notice the similarity in sound to Barbara Jagger :v:) and Cynthia as The Witch.

The Darkness eventually attempts to force Alan into the same situation as Tom, but Tom is able to manifest himself as a powerful light and guide Alan via the manuscript Barbara sits him down to write near the end of the game to break Alan out of the cycle. Then the game happens and Alan pieces things together, gets the Clicker, uses it to fill Barbara's shade with it's mythical light destroying her, and sacrifices himself to life in the darkness so that his wife can escape. The FBI agent was likely corrupted from the start, driven to "Guide" Alan by chasing him exactly where Barbara needed him. The Mr Scratch that was mentioned appeared to imply that if Alan had failed, Mr Scratch would have taken over his body and become a similar entity to Barbara Jagger. This is all given to you by information in the first game.

Spoiled ther final sentence as I can't remember is that isn't mentioned until American Nightmare.

No this is too hard I don't like paying attention to things that aren't my K/D ratio thanks.

This is an excellent, concise summary, thank you! :)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

samu3lk posted:

I've never played the multiplayer at all! I will say, we're two sessions into recording this game and I am REALLY enjoying it. It's made me go back and replay rear end Creed 2. Also I totally agree, the stuff outside of the VR simulation seems super boring and pointless. Unless they circle around and make a game that takes place in modern times, I have no idea what purpose that serves.

The problem with modern times is that we have automatic weapons here, combined with the fact that being able to complete a mission while screwing up a stealth sequence seems to be the rule of the day, too many people complained about the fail-state trailing missions.

(Feel free to skip over the spoilered text if you want, it flows the same whether or not you highlight it.)

The overarching plot isn't terrible. The Templars pretty much control everything, and they are closing in on unlocking the secrets of the First Civilization, which created modern humans as an easily controllable slave race. All the Pieces of Eden are basically sudo user backdoors, and the Templars have a LOT of them.

The First Civilization also achieved the technological singularity as the Earth was hit by some gnarly solar flares that wiped most of them out anyway. There are a couple of AI/Singularity-transcendent survivors, and one dude who manifests in the current guy who has the most First Civilization DNA at the time. The Templars know all this, are winning, and
the Assassins are doing their best to slow them down. The Templars were on the winning side of the Industrial Revolution, so they have sort of consolidated and kept their power from then.

It's me, I'm the nerd who pays attention to weird game stories.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 4, 2016

• Locked thread