Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ric_james
Mar 28, 2014

Earwicker posted:

There is a huge amount of empty space in the middle of this country so I don't think everyone would just descend on Chicago.

Yeah there would definitely be a lot of serious economic consequences to the coastal populations leaving and fleeing inland, but it would not be anything like a Mad Max kind of scenario. Probably more akin to the Dust Bowl but on a larger scale.

I'm not expert on the meterological / water cycle / agricultural side of things (although I don't think that can be right about earthquakes - anyone?).

A bit about the economic impacts though -

In my work I advocate for pension funds to get serious about climate change. This matters because currently a pretty large proportion of the stuff they invest in could be worthless as the world economy comes under shocks and strains from climate change. The political and economic turmoil (Austria may just be about to elect a far-right leader) in central and Medeterrenian Europe right now caused by people fleeing the Middle East is a tiny taste of things to come. Massive population upheaval in semi-arid and coastal areas will destabalise many more countries as this century continues.

At the same time investing in coal, oil and gas, like most every pension fund does, is not a good call as, aside from making the problem worse, most of the companies that extract this stuff are overvalued - Governments have agreed to try and deal with climate change and as they begin to do this more seriously that will leave a lot of fossil fuel assets 'stranded'.

The best hope for your inland ideal best case scenario city, after it has dealt with the new diseases, pests, heat and water stress, might be to spend most of your savings on guns and walls, and for God sake turn the TV off because it's gonna be pretty depressing viewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread