Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

ToastedCrumbs posted:

The increased salinity in the air will be a major issue for farming across the world.

Huh? Is this possibly an issue anywhere that isn't immediately near the ocean? I mean, barring potential changes in the location of the shoreline given rising sea levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Elizabethan Error posted:

because salt is carried by rainclouds and the wind. coastal areas receive the majority of salt spray from the ocean, but it will still continue inland. additionally, as traditionally arid areas receive more rainfall, there'll be more salt returning to the sea over time.

Internet Explorer posted:

Rising seas will cause many of the worlds aquifers to be contaminated with saltwater.

Neither of these make any sense to me. I'm not aware of any entire aquifers that will be contaminated with saltwater, merely those that are relatively close to the shoreline. Fresh water "floats" on top of salt water, which is why you can drill a well on an island and get potable water. Saltwater intrusion is certainly a problem, but it's very much localized to areas near the shore, or at worst very low-lying areas like coastal estuaries and whatnot.

I've also seen nothing about increased salt spray having any appreciable effect on soil or agriculture. Soil salinity can be a problem with excessive use of fertilizers and whatnot, or in particularly arid regions when heavy irrigation is used, but neither of those have to do with air salinity/salt spray.

I'm legitimately curious because my undergrad thesis was related to saltwater intrusion in domestic supply wells, and now I work partially in the agricultural field. Can anyone offer a link? Basic googling isn't turning anything up that's related to the salt spray/air salinity issue, at least in any way that would be a threat to world-wide agriculture.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 29, 2016

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

Also agree that salwater intrusion is a problem near-shore, but you've got continued pumping and depletion of fresh groundwater and isostasy helping salt water infiltrate depleted aquifers. It's an extreme problem near-shore where there's porous bedrock, which happens to be a lot of major metropolitan areas.

Yeah, I kind of forget that there are loads of metro areas that get their water largely from production wells near the coast. I'm up in PA, and most metro areas around here get their water supplies from rivers/reservoir systems well-removed from the risk of saltwater intrusion.

• Locked thread