Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Only through our participation in ideological fads like feminist cultural critique, outrage culture or the alt right can we hope as individuals to impact the largest forces in the western cultural fabric.

Living within those constructs and melding your personal values around them without conflicting with the ideological framework seems to be the most accessible path for people.

It seems to be the most common path toward getting what the op mentions which sorta sounds like trying to make an attempt to manipulate the moral continuum for the sake of vanity or some poo poo.

Sethex fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

The phrase "outrage culture" is an excellent example of advanced irony poisoning.

Denial of its existence is great loyalty to the ideology.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That is a pretty vague thing to say, maybe try again without the attempt at sounding brainy?

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Toothy McBeard posted:

I appreciate the fact that you are calling into question the assumption I am making about us needing to find a new culture that unifies.

Do you think that we don't need to have a more unified society (locally? nationally? globally?) Or is this an unattainable goal?

The initial part reminds me of the whole 'workers of the world unite the only thing you have to lose are your chains'

An sure I am sympathetic to that end but I think the cause in most ways requires a submission to individualistic and materialist values or a conformity toward the western cultural model in a way I don't think a lot of the left, the religious right, or the traditionalist orientals (among others) is going to be receptive to.

Toothy McBeard posted:

How can we deal with the problems we have nationally and internationally without having a framework from which to solve them?

Does this framework of change need to be from America, or should we start looking towards a multipolar solution to our worlds problems with the BRICS nations leading this change?

I don't hold a lot of hope for America. Tbh I sorta think an expansion in technology over some vague cultural evolution enveloping the world will hold more promise in delivering justice, abundance and egalitarianism or a polar opposite circumstance; so for me directing effort at that dichotomy is more likely to yield the most utility toward your personal values.

Ever increasing innovation is more certain than an unprecedented cultural shift imo *shrug*

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

Ah, the First Church of God-Robot. Nanotech be upon you, netizen!

I wanna gangbang that strawman with techno dicks

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I wasn't calling your original post brainy or whatever, my "brainy" comment was directed at Brainiac 5 getting triggered at the mention of 'outrage culture' as a personal attack then spouting some needlessly verbose attempt at an insult.

Toothy McBeard posted:

Thats a great point!

I have the question, can innovation exist separately from a cultural shift?

Or are we relying on innovation to change the culture with it?

Can we influence how innovation is able to effect our societies?

No one who answers these questions with any degree of confidence is telling the truth. Basically the only substance that cam be extracted is conjecture and speculation.

So for me culture can develop outside of innovation, I base this on the assumption that culture developed in the past during a time when innovation was relatively stagnant.

And innovation can be tapered by culture as we see in the Christian groups that reject technology or the government's that reject human cloning.

That said technology has expanded the ability for grand narratives to spread which is a mixed blessing and to me the outcomes will be unpredictable.

Sethex fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

This post was already some epic loving technofetishism (in both senses) but then you added "triggered" to it, pushing it to new heights of insipidity.

I don't really know how or why my prev post means I worship technology, is it the expectation that innovation will continue long into the foreseeable future?

Its pretty clear that mentioning 'outrage culture' has outraged you; motivating you to write a bunch of barbed posts.

This is all fine an to be expected by people who make ideology their personal identity, but your writing style is sorta cliche.

It comes off trying to sound smart mixed with an effort filled departure from vocal english in a way that just comes off as annoying.

I'm sorry that what I said easily offended you.

• Locked thread