Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The phrase "outrage culture" is an excellent example of advanced irony poisoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sethex posted:

Denial of its existence is great loyalty to the ideology.

Thank you for demonstrating that for the irony-poisoned in such a final stage before total collapse of the soul, authenticity is found in a position of phony asceticism- you express contempt for everything but do not actually reject it, and you conclude that anything which is not in accordance with this pose is a lie, ultimately derived for some malicious end.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sethex posted:

I don't hold a lot of hope for America. Tbh I sorta think an expansion in technology over some vague cultural evolution enveloping the world will hold more promise in delivering justice, abundance and egalitarianism or a polar opposite circumstance; so for me directing effort at that dichotomy is more likely to yield the most utility toward your personal values.

Ever increasing innovation is more certain than an unprecedented cultural shift imo *shrug*

Ah, the First Church of God-Robot. Nanotech be upon you, netizen!

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sethex posted:

I wasn't calling your original post brainy or whatever, my "brainy" comment was directed at Brainiac 5 getting triggered at the mention of 'outrage culture' as a personal attack then spouting some needlessly verbose attempt at an insult.

No one who answers these questions with any degree of confidence is telling the truth. Basically the only substance that cam be extracted is conjecture and speculation.

Can we change the way innovation changes things? Sure, legalistic or cultural efforts can restrict technology or hinder adoption, but it would be unprecedented

So for me culture can develop outside of innovation, I base this on the assumption that culture developed in the past during a time when innovation was relatively stagnant.

And innovation can be tapered by culture as we see in the Christian groups that reject technology or the government's that reject human cloning.

That said technology has expanded the ability for grand narratives to spread which is a mixed blessing and to me the outcomes will be unpredictable.

This post was already some epic loving technofetishism (in both senses) but then you added "triggered" to it, pushing it to new heights of insipidity.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sethex posted:

I don't really know how or why my prev post means I worship technology, is it the expectation that innovation will continue long into the foreseeable future?

Its pretty clear that mentioning 'outrage culture' has outraged you; motivating you to write a bunch of barbed posts.

This is all fine an to be expected by people who make ideology their personal identity, but your writing style is sorta cliche.

It comes off trying to sound smart mixed with an effort filled departure from vocal english in a way that just comes off as annoying.

I'm sorry that what I said easily offended you.

You're pretty bad at lying.

• Locked thread