Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Stop entertaining grandiose delusions about what you're actually capable of and find some achievable objectives you can work toward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Toothy McBeard posted:

That is a fair statement.

I am not capable by myself, but maybe through discourse we can uncover some of those achievable objectives.

Those achievable objectives are really what I am trying to find out though.

Can an individual actor have real influence on the public narrative in a meaningful way through these achievable objectives?

Or is this just an intellectual dead end, with no real reason to talk about it.

I don't think you're going to identify any achievable objectives when your starting point is an extremely vague and sweeping denunciation of "irony". You're describing a nebulous and complicated cultural trend driven by decades (if not centuries) of technological and social change. These are fun conversations to have in undergrad while you're getting high after your media studies class but I don't think they are an effective basis for actually changing the world.

Generally speaking the ways an individual becomes influential is by dedicating years or decades of their life to helping some movement, cause or group(s), and typically these causes have more targeted and specific objectives than overcoming an internet culture of irony. If your model of change is a two hour livechat by Martin Shkreli then I don't think you're going to accomplish much. So when you ask this:

quote:

But my question is: With the media failing as a prevailing spectacular narrative, how can we as individuals change our cultural hegemony and narratives to something that unites us in positive association ?

The answer is that as individuals we can't do anything. You're setting a grandiose objective you have no hope of accomplishing when there are actually plenty of decent causes that would benefit from some enthusiastic help.

That isn't to say it's a bad idea to read Guy Debord or think about the role of the media and internet in shaping peoples perspectives, but you need to purge yourself of this, quite frankly, teenage sensibility that you're going to use "socratic dialogue" to over come the culture of irony. I mean, come on man, step back and actually think about how silly that sounds.

• Locked thread