Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Why are his clothes shrinking, but not the rope?

And where does all his mass go to? :sperg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Jameson reduced the Bugle to A6 format to save money on paper.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh no that table
That hammer in the first panel is some serious MC Escher poo poo.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Okay, so as someone who isn't clued up on obscure Marvel villains, hasn't seen GotG, but is a huge Judge Dredd fan (Ronan having been compared to him): what's Ronan's deal again? Dredd doesn't 'accuse' people. Dredd loving judges them on the spot and brings them down. Does Ronan basically go "I accuse you of obstructing me from getting whatever it is I want at this time" and smack them with his hammer Universal Weapon?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

WickedHate posted:

I don't think the ironic Puny Parker gag works when you clearly draw him with such well defined muscles.
I now want to see a superhero who can throw cars and wrestle bears but has the build of, say, post-liver transplant Steve Jobs. Who needs muscle mass when you've got frickin' super-strength?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I also now want to see a flying superhero have to deal with wind chill, being blinded by airborne dust particles and having their clothes torn off by the slipstream every time they go any faster than a Piper Cub.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
So Rocket is a psychopath who shoots people for not knowing his name? Clearly the good guy.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I just noticed that the credit box features different artists (plural) for the weekend editions. God drat, those extra six tiny panels are so packed with detail they require a entire second art team!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Rocket has a gun. Why hasn't he just shot Ronan already?

SHOOT HIM SHOOT HIM YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Synthbuttrange posted:

RIP Sarge's Diner.
"We're ready for it!"

[Stroll towards the bad guy and engage him in casual poo poo-talking while he carries out his evil plan]

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Synthbuttrange posted:

I can only hope that the day is saved by MJ running over Ronan.
Reminds me of the Empowered story where Emp realises that a two-ton SUV doing 60 will gently caress up any villain it hits as effectively as a superpowered punch, then goes and proves it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Alhazred posted:

Comic fact: The first Green Lantern was vulnerable to wooden objects:

Haha, holy poo poo! I never knew until now that a gag in Marshal Law where he takes down the 'Blue Battery' by beating the poo poo out of him with a chair ("what's your weakness, wood? Nah, that's stupid") so he gets "splinters in [his] ring hand" was based on the actual original. I should have known better. Pat Mills may hate superheroes, but he does his research.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
"Shroom." Not even "Shroom!" This sentry's the most unenthusiastic anthropomorphic WMD ever.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The dialogue in the first panel is the most ridiculously double entendre-ish yet. I'm expecting a guest appearance by Finbarr Saunders.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
"Is there a way that I can use this visual medium to show a series of actions in an exciting manner? Nah, gently caress it, I'll just have one character describe what he's doing to the other in unnecessarily long-winded detail." - Writing Comics The Stan Lee Way.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Meanwhile, the robot has destroyed every streetlamp in Albuquerque. SHROOOM. :geno:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
After a one-liner like that, Ronan's NOOOOO should really be a YEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH! (with Spidey donning sunglasses).

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'm guessing the cop in panel 4 was meant to be loading a new mag into his pistol, but the colourist went "Eh, must be some kind of weird shotgun, whatever."

Also: SHROOOOOM DRUGS.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Could have sworn Ronan was walking around in a diner with regular human-sized doors at one point, but I probably imagined it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Sentry's just shroomin' away in the background while they're standing there having a chat...

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Rocket is now as big as Ronan...

The perspective is like one of those optical illusion rooms where people seem to grow or shrink as they walk around it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Can't he just patent his web formula and sell the rights to 3M or DuPont or whoever for a fortune? Maybe if action wasn't his reward he might be able to afford a car. Or even a cab.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Discendo Vox posted:

Let me know if you'd like it poster-sized.
I see a sad puppy being menaced by Ebeneezer Scrooge and a sneering fanged badger.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Is Spider-Man this much of a third-division loser and general butt monkey in the main comics? Just seems a bit odd for Marvel's most famous character to be a clueless dork who regularly gets clowned (sometimes literally) by villains and other superheroes alike.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Peter has a real "oh poo poo, I left the oven on!" face in that last panel.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Every time I see that "!" it's accompanied in my head by the Metal Gear Solid sting. I keep expecting tense music to kick in and a bunch of guys wearing facemasks to bum-rush Peter.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
You could say the Mole People are being dragged down, down, down...

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
What are the odds on Moley and Kala rekindling their love, Tyrannus ending up in a one-bedroom divorcee cave and Aunt May being left at the altar, again? Meanwhile Peter stands on the sidelines going "Yup, I helped."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Yes! Hahahaha, I loving called it.

Not that predicting a plot twist in NSM is anything to be proud of.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Watching random stuff on YouTube with my son, and I saw some animated 60s/70s Spider-Man episodes on there. The one we looked at featured about a minute of panning-over-buildings filler with literally nothing happening, an endlessly repetitive chase scene over abstract backgrounds that looked like Jackson Pollock on an LSD bender, Spider-Man being knocked out by an exploding vibrator - no, I'm not kidding - and our hero spending the rest of the episode (until my son got bored) unconscious.

So it's a 100% accurate translation of NSM into another medium.

(Also, Spidey refers to himself as a "teenage superhero", but he sounds like a 50-year-old with a 10-packs-a-day habit. Which might explain his dated references to tariffs and the like.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Synthbuttrange posted:

rocks fall, melvin dies :(
Moley looks so happy. This is not going to end well, is it? :smith:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Couldn't get a photo because I was driving, but I saw a car outside Greymouth, New Zealand, today with a plate that made me think of this thread: MOLMAN.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
:geno: I wish we could talk you out of this crazy experiment. No. Really. I do.

(I would have included Peter's :geno: face, but hosed if I can figure out how to get a BBcode link from Imgur now.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Unfortunately the fringes of Miami have just as many tall buildings as upstate New York, so Spider-Man ends up having to hire a car

• Locked thread