Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Cat Mattress posted:

That was the plan? Break the McGuffin, flee, and if caught offer to fix the McGuffin in exchange for being allowed to leave?

They pulled their punch on letting Spidey straight-up murder an old man.

It's like how we have to pretend Ronan's still alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

So he's magically enchanted to be unable to break a vow, except before it didn't count because he was crossing his fingers behind his back.

God I love NSM.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

She tried to murder him by smacking his medicine out of his hand, he tried to murder her with some monsters, they're both just taking a mulligan.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 12, 2017

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

The Unfetered One posted:

Wasnt Aunt May having some kind of heart attack the last time we saw her?

Well, not necessarily a heart attack, but:

Synthbuttrange posted:

there she goes

So yeah, the reset button is probably going to be "she has spelunker's heart".

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Weren't they just trying to kill him?

Hm, actually, all they did was chase after him and surround him, even though Tyrannus was yelling "destroy them!" They probably would have stopped Tyrannus if he had ever actually gotten around to trying to hurt Melvin.

Tyrannus didn't actually conquer anything. Kala probably just asked Melvin to go hang out on the surface and let Tyrannus sit on the throne for a bit so he'd stop whining.

Lenny was probably in on it too.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Goddamn, I feel like the writer is just toying with us. "Oh, maybe I'll have Moleman marry May. BUT MAYBE I WON'T. :trollface: But maybe I will. BUT MAYBE I WON'T..."

Either option is awesome, because it's either "oh, the mole people are so sad!" "eh, gently caress 'em" or "I've decided to abandon May and rule the moloids, even though I just spent a week saying they're all dumb and worthless".

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Mover posted:

there's an alternate universe where the NSM Spider-Family includes his raccoon son Rocket and his half-blind Uncle Melvin and they all have adventures together. a beautiful place :unsmith:

Yeah, there is kind of a pattern with the last few stories huh:

Spider-Man met his new uncle Melvin and they murdered* Tyrannus.
Spider-Man met his new son Rocket and they murdered* Ronan.
Spider-Man met his new husband Ant-Man and they murdered** Egghead.

*they're just taking a nap
**this one was on JJJ

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

The MSJ posted:

It's gonna be fakeout. "I can't... without the blessing of your nephew. Who we all know is Spider-Man."

KaosMachina posted:

And then may has a heart attack

Nah, she's fine.

Peter jumped down that hole and Spider-Man came out, and her first question wasn't "where is my nephew?" So either the fact that he's Spider-Man is so obvious it's not worth mentioning, or she thinks he died under the earth but that's not what's important right now

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Talking loudly about how stupid they are right in front of them and then just assuming they still want him to rule him after that is probably how he got deposed and exiled in the first place.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

reminder, spider-man's blood can cure any disease

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

thank god thats over with

Kind of sad they just ended the scene there, because I really want to know what happened when Aunt May finally asked "hey, where'd my nephew go?"

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

It's so weird how NSM cycles between California, Florida and New York. It's been this way for at least fifteen years, with the flashback story to the Lizard taking place in the Everglades.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Lobok posted:

Jameson's hair has colour? Are they trying to Marisa Tomei him? Did he drink from the Fountain? Does he use JJJust for Men?

Only on weekdays.

X-O posted:

Here's today's comic.

Also, the OP archive is done. I've added all of 2016 and the complete previous 17 years of daily Newspaper Spider-Man. You may think that's a lot of comics, and it is, but it's really not. I'd say each year reads like a couple issues of a modern comic because it reads so fast. So check it out and enjoy.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Weekday colorist turned them into ghosts.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 4, 2017

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

"Nope, didn't meet Mole Man. Ignore all the stories saying my wife talked down some security guards who wanted to shoot him. And definitely ignore anyone saying he was going to marry my aunt."

e:f;b

Also it's still really funny how the first act was just random people trying to beat up Melvin for just walking around Hollywood while old.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 5, 2017

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

joehonkie posted:

How the hell does he get his web shooters through the TSA? They think everything is a bomb.

No one could possibly mistake NSM's webshooters as some sort of threat.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

Wasn't the agent guy blond at some point?

It's a miracle he's still caucasian.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

The Unnamed One posted:

Bold direction of NSM to adapt Shed to the funny papers, let’s see if it pays off.

It's a natural fit:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Next week is going to be Peter fighting a large reptile thinking it's the lizard but in fact it's just a Florida reptile

He's going to get in a fight with a gecko and lose.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Precambrian posted:

I'm excited for this arc to follow Curt Connor's Senate run.

You can primary someone from the left, the right, the hard right, and the "TURN PEOPLE INTO LIZARDS" faction of your constituents.

David Icke was right.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

SilverSupernova posted:

The proud tradition continues. So this means that large chunk of machinery is Pete's team up partner this story right?

It's Mega Man, punching him with his gun arm.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Based on the pattern of the last few arcs, Lizard will become Spidey's surrogate *rolls dice* brother and then they'll murder *spins wheel* Paste-Pot Pete in cold blood.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

That's just the GPS saying the swamp's gonna be on their left, though.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Yeah, NSM, if I had to pick a literary reference--like, specifically, a well-known 19th century gothic novella--to describe the situation of a doctor with a monstrous alter ego, I'd definitely go with Frankenstein.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

In NSM, only evil wizards take selfies.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

It's JJJ, having followed Peter into the wilderness to yell at him for not getting pictures of Spider-Man.

He was just drawn really off-model, and he traded in his lamp for a knife.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Modok Jonah.

"I want pictures of Spider-Man! And a torso."

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

In basically any other story I'd be thinking "there's no way", but it's Newspaper Spider-Man. Literally anything could happen.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I like how the art was going way out of its way to hide this guy's face, and now that we see him it's just...some dude.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Connor bravely leaping into action to save MJ and an innocent gator from this nut brandishing a machete.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

Bruce Banner known knife user and survivalist hardass

You know, Banner being an ace survivalist is a characterization I've never seen, but it makes a lot of sense considering how he's a wanderer who tries to avoid highly populated areas.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

"Alright Hulk! You just wait until I rip off this shirt, take off this jacket, remove my pants, and get my gloves and mask out from wherever I keep them and put them on! Then you are in for a fight! DON'T ATTACK ME UNTIL THEN OK?"

Newspaper Spider-Man is consistent about very few things, but one of them is that Peter can instantly change between panels because "he gets a lot of practice".

unrelated, but it's really bizarre to me that apparently Venom is canon to NSM:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Are they setting up Curt Connors to be NSM's She-Hulk?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Samuringa posted:

1) The artist didn't even try with the tear in Connors pants

At least the colorist didn't screw it up this time.

"He's lost so much blood!" *points to a guy who's totally fine except his pants have been poorly patched*

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

holy poo poo, despite all the foreshadowing this arc doesn't revolve around connors' poor decision-making skills.

Nah, still counts. This entire thing wouldn't have happened if Curt hadn't trashed all the equipment in his house, and also if his backup had been literally anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Next strip: "Peter just jumped off the side of the boat, for no reason, and now Spider-Man is here."

• Locked thread