Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Just in those two panels the size difference of the Sentry is quite astonishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The first four comics I think I ever read were the Avengers, West Coast Avengers, Spectacular Spider-Man, and Uncanny X-Men annuals that tied into the Evolutionary War. And that wasn't until years after they came out when my cousin gave them to me as the actually came out the same summer I was born. The first comic I ever actually bought for myself, and I remember this quite vividly as it's still one of my favorite single issues ever was What If The Punisher Had Killed Daredevil? I was about 7 or 8 at the time probably and I had made five whole dollars by helping my neighbor do some yard work that I'm sure I did a terrible job with. To that point my comics had been limited to all my cousin's hand me downs and what I could get my parents to grab for me on the rack at Walgreens. I took my five dollars and studied the rack at Walgreens for what had to be a good 10 minutes just trying to decide which book I was going to get. I finally landed on that one and saved the rest of my money for later. It turned out to be one of my favorite books ever and eventually when I got a little older and and had the money I bought up every single What If I could find because I like the format so much. Not long after that a comic shop opened literally five minutes from my house and I started getting comics more regularly once may parents realized it wasn't just a phase and I was really into them.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ToxicFrog posted:

My parents had a huge collection of Spider-Man (and X-Men, Avengers, and Iron Man) that I got into, but I'm pretty sure the first one I ever read was this:

I'm kind of tempted to track it down and re-read it, but I suspect it's not nearly as awesome now as it was when I was 8.

It's fine. The other one where they team up is way way better though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

uPen posted:

Why is ___________?

Newspaper Spider-Man.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ImpAtom posted:

God, whatever the next arc is, it's going to be do disappointing after the nonstop glorious amazement of this one.

Newspaper Spider-Man will always deliver.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, remember the last one had amazing poo poo like Jonah sleeping next to a shotgun, Pete and Scott forced to ride the subway, Pete forgetting that a much larger spider than him ALSO has the proportionate strength and speed of a spider etc.

Jesus. That feels like it was five years ago.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oops on that Drax coloring.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Doc Hawkins posted:

I only ever saw a few panels of Peter Parker as a public school teacher years ago, but they stayed with me as an ideal for the character. He's a dorky guy who wants to help! Of course he'd leave photojournalism for teaching!

Any job where Peter has to keep to a rigid schedule and has any real responsibility is the worst possible choice for him. Being a teacher provided fun stories at times but it never made sense to me why he would ever think that was a good idea in any way because it definitely wasn't.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wow, of all the deep dive villains I never expected to see in this strip Tyrannus is definitely among them. I remember him from the Subterranean Wars back when they did crossovers in the Avengers annuals.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

That's definitely not how werewolves work.

It's how they work in this universe apparently.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you're curious about the upcoming villain, I made him the latest pick in the Marvel Handbook thread, over here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809554&pagenumber=27&perpage=40#post473033695

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

mind the walrus posted:

Give him a break he just spent several weeks in the desert getting emasculated by a suffocated alien, a naked space raccoon, and a giant blue robot with a vaguely golliwog face. I'm pretty sure he's still delirious from dehydration and denial.

I think technically that was yesterday for him at this point. At most two days ago. That whole Rocket arc took place over two days.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Maybe we should just call it a thread and gold mine this now. Not sure it's getting better than that.

Though we've said that how many times now?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wait, wasn't she just standing there with them in the Sunday strip? Hmm. Seems like a continuity fudge to me!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

At the rate this comic moves that means we might not see Mary Jane again until 2018.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zeeman posted:

That reminds me, in the comics he's named Harvey, and Stan Lee created him. Did Stan just forget his name?

Come on now, we all know Stan Lee doesn't write this. And hasn't since like maybe the late '70s or early '80s.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

While that's always the claim it's pretty much widely accepted that his brother Larry has been the one actually writing it for many years.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I would believe that Stan Lee said to Larry "Do an arc with Rocket Raccoon" or "Have Mole Man try to marry Aunt May again" but that's about as far as I'd believe that Stan has any input in this strip. Stan Lee is not writing a comic strip at 94 years old. That I do not buy at all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Did he not drink from it like 4 loving strip ago?

I think at this point we just need an IV drip for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm pretty sure Peter & MJ were married back in 1987. The marriage in the strip was apparently the impetus for it happening in the comics.

He meant that the 2003 strip is a flashback story to before they were married.

• Locked thread