Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm guessing it is one of two things:

1 - They realize that a serialized show does not work very well when written week to week and are going back to single episodes.

or

2 - They realize that a serialized show does not work very well when written week to week and are going to write the whole thing in advance.

Leaning towards #1 because they only want to work 10 weeks a year.

They could probably work like 6 weeks a year if they made everything one story line and did all the art at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Supreme Allah posted:

I dont know if this is the right department but I paid like 100 dollars* about six months ago for Fractured Butt Hole and they just keep delaying it.

*I wanted the cartman coon toy to go with my cartman grand wizard toy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

How's that dick in your mouth?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
A subtle joke I catched on a rewatch was when Kyle's mom went to the woman's house and she started crying, she went What, what.. what? her catchphrase used in a different tone.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Gosh, the member berries really didn't have much payoff, did they? They couldn't seem to decide whether Trump was elected because of trolling, nostalgia, or both. I'm sure you can figure out a link between the two if you think hard enough, but they didn't really make a strong case for it, only hinted at it. Kind of like last season where you could kind of connect the dots between gentrification and advertising and political correctness and Yelp reviews if you squinted hard enough, but you also got the sense that maybe they were just BSing and there wasn't a link at all.

I did get a kick out of the squabble over different types of satire, though. More of that, please.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Would anyone else not be surprised if they scrapped Garrison as Trump altogether next year (almost as a joke) if they're really abandoning the serialization? I'd actually find the first scene of next season being the kids in the classroom with "Ohkaaaaay children, let's take our seats", following a nonsensical lesson about something based off TV to be funnier than this season altogether.

It sounds unlikely until you remember that this is the show that killed a character on a weekly basis, only for him to return the next episode every time until Season 6.

Sir Lemming posted:

I did get a kick out of the squabble over different types of satire, though. More of that, please.

That to me felt like they were using the show as a mouthpiece to make one last gasp to justify how bad the season was while also saying "No, this was dumb", though I'd have to hear it again.

Lyer posted:

I thought it was pretty symbolic of trolling in general, you do all this horrendous poo poo without any consequence.

That's not just trolling, that's 21st Century celebrity. Look at Ryan Lochte in Rio; he hopped the first plane back to the US after his bullshit story had holes poked in it, his teammates took the fall, and the result was the story led his TV series to have a marathon and he wound up on Dancing With The Stars, both of which had to pay a decent bit as a result of him being a shithead.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 8, 2016

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
If South Park is going to remind me that Donald Trump is President, the least it can do is be funny while doing so.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes

CBJSprague24 posted:

It sounds unlikely until you remember that this is the show that killed a character on a weekly basis, only for him to return the next episode every time until Season 6.

Speaking of, I'm pretty sure that Kenny had one single line this season, and it was in this episode. He had less presence in this season than he did in the season where he was supposed to be dead forever.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Garbage finale for a garbage season. Like, what was it all for? Been watching South Park since the very beginning and have enjoyed every season, but this one was just painfully unfunny and I can see myself skipping it whenever I watch through old seasons every now and then.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PaybackJack posted:

I laughed really hard at that last line. Perfect punchline. Overall not the best season, but still damned entertaining.

Honestly I don't even think this was anywhere near their worst season, at all.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Would anyone else not be surprised if they scrapped Garrison as Trump altogether next year (almost as a joke) if they're really abandoning the serialization? I'd actually find the first scene of next season being the kids in the classroom with "Ohkaaaaay children, let's take our seats", following a nonsensical lesson about something based off TV to be funnier than this season altogether.

2 Garrisons. One still in full Trump-face, one in classic Garrison mode.

Both still simply referred to as Mr. Garrison (Or Mr. President, but just to Trump Garrison).

No one questions or mentions it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
South Park has officially reached the point, much like The Simpsons, where people from the Internet have serious arguments about which season is The Best, like they're discussing a vintage.

Ugh.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I would be ok with Garrison still being President but also the teacher. Thry could actually fill out a decent epsiode of him trying to do both jobs.

Edit: the kids know he wont be able to grade their book reports if he is dealing with a diplomatic crisis, so Cartman and an unwilling Butters have to provoke an international incident.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

I actually liked most of the season, but feel like there is absolutely no closure with this final episode.

What's the deal with memberberries? What happened with Cartman, why did he become such a "good guy" all of a sudden?

This feels like Lost all over again. They started a million intrigues and they couldn't conclude quickly enough. I, for one, am thoroughly disappointed by this finale.

I mean come on, I was at least expecting something as insane as "Scot Tenorman Must Die" when it comes to Cartman's story.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I have to wonder how much was actually changed with Trump winning. I'm the first half they were all in on trolling, member berries, and girls being funny. Garrison as Trump was just like a holdover from last season they had to acknowledge.

I wish they would release an explanation of where they had planned to go with it.

Also nobody is discussing the *best* season but I have no desire to watch any episode from this one again. This is the only season to not have even one episode I loved and want to rewatch. So yes it's definitely the worst.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

South Park has officially reached the point, much like The Simpsons, where people from the Internet have serious arguments about which season is The Best, like they're discussing a vintage.

Ugh.

South Park reached that point about 15 years ago though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I still find it surprising that anyone thinks this was a good season.

I rank it as the worst, in large part because it is the only one I wanted to end ASAP. Realistically, it is among the bottom four.

I challenge anyone to name 4 seasons that were worse than this one. And if you are going to do this, please state whether you have watched the entire run and when you started watching.

The other three among the four worst are: 2, 3 and 16. 16 wasn't even all that bad, but in comparison to pretty much everything else, it was full of turds. 2 and 3 are all over the place and just don't hold up over time very well at all. If you move out to 5 worst seasons, then you can add S4, as well. All my opinion, of course. FWIW, I started watching during S1, have watched through at least 3 times and haven't missed an episode since S5E1. S3 and S4 I was pretty out of it doing other things like not watching TV or staying inside.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Perhaps Memberberries' payoff was supposed to be something along the lines of "Remember when we had a Clinton in office"

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Would anyone else not be surprised if they scrapped Garrison as Trump altogether next year (almost as a joke) if they're really abandoning the serialization?

This really depends on how much comedy trump produces in the next year. It's really too soon to make any predictions.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

This season was bad.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Waltzing Along posted:

I rank it as the worst, in large part because it is the only one I wanted to end ASAP. Realistically, it is among the bottom four.

At least other seasons you could watch a bad ep or two, but still hold out some hope that next weeks would hit form. This season never had a chance, as barely any of the episodes had any individuality.

Whenever they did a 2 or 3 past episode, it usually felt like it was something too big for one episode but not enough for the time they gave it. This just compounded the issue across a whole season.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

EL BROMANCE posted:

This season never had a chance, as barely any of the episodes had any individuality.

I don't believe a single episode this season stands up on its own. No other season can say this.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I genuinely followed along but Eric's plot line just fizzles and the way he was acting annoyed at Heidi of all people just really upset me because now I am afraid for her. She's gonna end up trapped in a fridge, eating her parents on her birthday.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The only good gag I really laughed at this season was Gerald having to get pissed on to keep his secret hidden. That and maybe the Rick Roll the first time, because it was so stupid and predictable but so well-timed.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Nichael posted:

South Park reached that point about 15 years ago though.

Yes but I'm just realizing this now because I'm reading this thread. :colbert:

And about the 'Memberberries?

Don't worry. Everything is going according to plan, 'memba? We haven't seen the last of them yet, everything is ready for Phase 2. :member:

Ooh, yeah. I 'memba. :member:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I feel like a freak for this, but I thought the episode was a middling-to-okay episode of South Park. It was an underwhelming finale and lovely conclusion to this lovely season, but I giggled at a few things at least.

I thought the ending for the memberberries was that Trump Garrison filled his office jobs and Cabinet with them. They got into the White House, and he's letting them stick around with that scene where he's addressing them all in the Oval Office.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yes, obviously. Memberberries aren't going anywhere.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
The problem with this season wasn't that any of the individual episodes were bad (I don't think any episode this season would place in the bottom twenty of all South Park episodes), it was that there were no GOOD episodes. Even season 3 had like "Chinpokemon," for instance. Season 20 overall is the third worst season of south park imo (season 16 being the worst and season 15 being second worst)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

The problem with this season wasn't that any of the individual episodes were bad (I don't think any episode this season would place in the bottom twenty of all South Park episodes), it was that there were no GOOD episodes. Even season 3 had like "Chinpokemon," for instance. Season 20 overall is the third worst season of south park imo (season 16 being the worst and season 15 being second worst)

S15 isn't a top season but it's not bottom 3 by any means.

TMI
You're Getting Old/Assburgers
Broadway Bro Down
1%

All really great episodes.

True, Funnybot is among the worst they've ever made. But in general, it was a fun season.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Of the three stories, the Cartman one fell flat, Garrison kind of ended up where we are now, and the troll story was at least concluded and had a funny enough final joke.

But I definitely prefer the episodes to have more individual identity. I can't blame them for wanting to try something new after all these years, and there were some fun individual jokes, but I hope next season is different.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Boy people sure like ranking things, huh

I enjoyed this season, I laughed. Much like other seasons.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

Waltzing Along posted:

I challenge anyone to name 4 seasons that were worse than this one. And if you are going to do this, please state whether you have watched the entire run and when you started watching.

The other three among the four worst are: 2, 3 and 16. 16 wasn't even all that bad, but in comparison to pretty much everything else, it was full of turds. 2 and 3 are all over the place and just don't hold up over time very well at all. If you move out to 5 worst seasons, then you can add S4, as well. All my opinion, of course. FWIW, I started watching during S1, have watched through at least 3 times and haven't missed an episode since S5E1. S3 and S4 I was pretty out of it doing other things like not watching TV or staying inside.

I agree this was a bad season, but considering you've been watching since season 1 (myself as well), I'm honestly surprised you consider season 2 to be one of the worst. I'm the complete opposite, I think season 2 probably has held up over time among the best of them. In my opinion, it sits within classic status and some of my favorite episodes of all time are from that season. It was the first season I felt like the show really started to come into it's own, and probably the only season that really gave off a subtle darkness and eeriness that later seasons have tried to revisit from time to time, but never felt as genuine since. Tastes are subjective, so I'm not saying you're wrong to feel that way, I just find it surprising. Even Matt and Trey have said it was one of their best seasons.

King Vidiot posted:

The only good gag I really laughed at this season was Gerald having to get pissed on to keep his secret hidden.

Agreed. I said it before, but even if this season goes on to be considered the worst ever, at least it gave us that scene. "Am I doing it right, Gerald?" while the kids looked on horrified is one of the funniest moments this show has ever produced. However, I was surprised by the missed opportunity to throw back to the "Pee" episode, where exposure to "pee contamination" turned everyone into dangerous, hate-filled mutants. Could have made sense within the context of Gerald's trolling or the Trump election, etc.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I really enjoyed this season. But I'm a girl so obviously I don't understand funny.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Oh, you can understand it, but you just can't be it.

You can be smart though!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Oh, you can understand it, but you just can't be it.

You can be smart though!

She paid $10 to join a forum. A comedy forum. So you are 1/2 right.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I was a bit disappointed when Sheila gave in and trolltraced Gerald. It would have been a nice touch to show her just trusting her husband in the midst of all this.

Anyway, the season was not a good one. Definitely not the worst (that was 12 for me, between The China Problem and Pandemic I was seriously considering dropping the show), but I wouldn't want to see another one like it. I can't blame them for experimenting though, and I think that the next one will probably sit between 18 and 19 in terms of how serialized the episodes will be.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

She paid $10 to join a forum. A comedy forum. So you are 1/2 right.

I'm not right at all I am parroting Cartman.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Crain posted:

2 Garrisons. One still in full Trump-face, one in classic Garrison mode.

Both still simply referred to as Mr. Garrison (Or Mr. President, but just to Trump Garrison).

No one questions or mentions it.

It starts out with two Garrisons, but slowly more and more Garrisons start appearing. Soon the town of South Park is over run by millions of Garrisons.

No one ever acknowledges this or even notices that it's happening.

Anyway, I didn't watch the last two episodes and I'm not sure if I want to (this season didn't really work for me), but there's one thing I'm kind of curious about : did Heidi and Cartman break up or not?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I mostly just watch Soutn Park when my friends watch it so I only got bits and pieces of the season but goddamn, was what I saw awful. I would love it if South Park never tackled serialized formats, the concept of safe spaces and social justice, and actually just anything to do with the Internet, really, ever again. And hopefully :member: is forgotten.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just watched this season and thought it was okay

Wonder how people would take it if they really did drop everything for episode 1 of season 21. Then as episodes go on Memberberries show up to remind people of season 20 and it somehow has a overreaching plot anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It starts out with two Garrisons, but slowly more and more Garrisons start appearing. Soon the town of South Park is over run by millions of Garrisons.

No one ever acknowledges this or even notices that it's happening.

Anyway, I didn't watch the last two episodes and I'm not sure if I want to (this season didn't really work for me), but there's one thing I'm kind of curious about : did Heidi and Cartman break up or not?

They're still together.

• Locked thread