Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

checkplease posted:

Of the three stories, the Cartman one fell flat, Garrison kind of ended up where we are now, and the troll story was at least concluded and had a funny enough final joke.

But I definitely prefer the episodes to have more individual identity. I can't blame them for wanting to try something new after all these years, and there were some fun individual jokes, but I hope next season is different.

I think that the Cartman story suffered the most because of Trump's win. And from Bill Clinton's appearance, it seemed that they would go the route of women doing things that would lead to Cartman's Mars vision. But that depended on Hillary winning.

Looking back, it seems like they were going to have Member Berries try and resist being destroyed after Hillary's win, but that option was gone with her losing.

I'd like for them to keep the serial format, but if they're going to keep the breaks, then use those to schedule some episodes with more topical stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Basing a heavily serialized season on live current events is typically not a good idea in the first place. The topical discussions were the worst part of Horace & Pete, which was otherwise great.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Season wasn't good. It was a bad season of South Park which generally translates to an above average season of TV for any other show.

And everyone says that the member berries didn't have a payoff which is true but I wonder if you guys missed the fact that the carpets at the oval office were made out of member berries and that it was possibly left ambiguous in general as Trey and Matt think that America has entered an age of cultural regression through its addiction to nostalgia.

The season was uneven, the plots really didn't have much of a payoff but there were still plenty of funny jokes along the way so whatever, I still love the show and will be here for the next season.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You can really tell they had to scramble to rewrite the end with having to write out the Clintons quickly and write way more Garrison, who knows what Garrison would of done in the last few episodes with memberberrys.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, and what happened to Jenner? Right after her dramatic "Buckle up Buckaroos" line, she disappeared? That felt like something else that they abandoned half way in.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, and what happened to Jenner? Right after her dramatic "Buckle up Buckaroos" line, she disappeared? That felt like something else that they abandoned half way in.

She got Garrison hooked on member berries in time for his inauguration speech. Before that he was still trying to find a way to weasel out of the race.

This was also down played later on as the final episodes had him revert to the "wtf did I get myself into" role.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I guess I liked what they did with the trolls and troll hunter, but I disliked the end of Cartman's arc. Seemed like they were going somewhere with him.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

And everyone says that the member berries didn't have a payoff which is true but I wonder if you guys missed the fact that the carpets at the oval office were made out of member berries and that it was possibly left ambiguous in general as Trey and Matt think that America has entered an age of cultural regression through its addiction to nostalgia.

Yeah I saw that, but it seemed like they were building up to some other big reveal with them. But in the end it was just "Yep, they're still here." Their absence from almost all of the final 2 episodes' running time was strange. Weren't they going to start another cold war or something? I guess they indirectly were, through GarriTrump, but it was never really clear how much they were influencing his behavior.

If these seem like overly complicated questions for a construction paper cartoon about farts... well, they are, but that's what happens when every episode is a cliffhanger. I would still say the first half of the season is nowhere near the worst they've done. It's just that once they actually started trying to tie everything together, it got boring. Still, the presidential debate scene was one of my favorite things the show has done in years, and the GarriTrump rally/stand-up comedy bit was great too.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Why did Butter's go to SpaceX if he didn't want to go to mars in the end?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah I saw that, but it seemed like they were building up to some other big reveal with them. But in the end it was just "Yep, they're still here." Their absence from almost all of the final 2 episodes' running time was strange. Weren't they going to start another cold war or something? I guess they indirectly were, through GarriTrump, but it was never really clear how much they were influencing his behavior.

If these seem like overly complicated questions for a construction paper cartoon about farts... well, they are, but that's what happens when every episode is a cliffhanger. I would still say the first half of the season is nowhere near the worst they've done. It's just that once they actually started trying to tie everything together, it got boring. Still, the presidential debate scene was one of my favorite things the show has done in years, and the GarriTrump rally/stand-up comedy bit was great too.

My hunch is that they expected Hillary to win and thus show that Nostalgia and Star Wars lose the fight by the end of the season but of course reality kind of got in the way of that and it was better to just not have a pay off rather than show something that is patently false.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

What I'd like to see in terms of a serialized season again would be a storyline that features the kids taking a game to the extreme, like in The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers or Good Times with Weapons. Then you can have plot B in every episode be about the adults dealing with something topical.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Rexides posted:

What I'd like to see in terms of a serialized season again would be a storyline that features the kids taking a game to the extreme, like in The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers or Good Times with Weapons. Then you can have plot B in every episode be about the adults dealing with something topical.

This is how the South Park RPG is set up, like one giant episode of the boys playing LOTR/DnD. I think it would be a great hook for a whole season too, actually.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
It had some good ideas but overall the season was a completely incoherent piece of poo poo. poo poo running in all directions, none of it felt coherent, and the most memorable thing about the season, the one that was actually kind of biting, got 0 payoff

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Butters thought that the woman empowered male slave society was going to happen on Earth so he wanted to go to Mars. Then when Heidi is solving the equations, Cartman realizes it will happen on Mars and starts his plan.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My challenge to you:

Without looking anything up, name a single episode, in the first six, this season that was good. Please give a brief plot synopsis, as well.

Not just a moment, but an episode. Chances are you can't do it or you might get a couple aspect correct but mix it up with other episodes.

Pee scene was good. Anyone remember when it happened?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Waltzing Along posted:

My challenge to you:

Without looking anything up, name a single episode, in the first six, this season that was good. Please give a brief plot synopsis, as well.

Not just a moment, but an episode. Chances are you can't do it or you might get a couple aspect correct but mix it up with other episodes.

That's kind of the nature of serialized television though isn't it?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

To be honest, we get it you didn't like the season. How many times do you gotta post it?

I enjoyed the season, it wasn't great by South Park standards, but it was good TV. I'm not gonna write an essay to get a brick wall to move.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
The season was still entertaining and as badly as the story fell through I'm still glad they're experimenting and trying new things.

Hopefully they find a better balance for the serialized story lines and topical humor next season.

The South Park guys deciding to go out on a limb is what got us The Book of Mormon, so I'm fine with a minor failure on a story gamble in a still entertaining show.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Crain posted:

The season was still entertaining and as badly as the story fell through I'm still glad they're experimenting and trying new things.

Hopefully they find a better balance for the serialized story lines and topical humor next season.

The South Park guys deciding to go out on a limb is what got us The Book of Mormon, so I'm fine with a minor failure on a story gamble in a still entertaining show.

Yeah, South Park is loving 20 seasons in, I'm thrilled that they're trying new things even when they don't always work. That's better when the alternative is turning into late-era Simpsons.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Crain posted:

Yeah, it's good that they're willing to take risks even if those risks don't always work out. It's what help keeps the show fresh.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

My challenge to you:

I can't name an episode because I never loving look at episode titles.

The second one, where we find out exactly what Gerald is doing online and he starts trolling Freja Ollegard. It has the Boston montage and the kids destroying Cartman's computer. Good episode.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I mean there's basically nobody saying this was one of the best seasons, so you're kinda preaching to the choir. We're all pretty much in agreement about the flaws.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

emanresu tnuocca posted:

My hunch is that they expected Hillary to win and thus show that Nostalgia and Star Wars lose the fight by the end of the season but of course reality kind of got in the way of that and it was better to just not have a pay off rather than show something that is patently false.

If they had two versions of their election-focused episodes outlined in the past, they should've had two versions of their election-focused season outlined this time around. Oops.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I just don't get the Clinton Memberberry connection. You can see glimpses of what was supposed to happen (Clinton's female utopia on Mars) but there's just too much missing information to draw any conclusions. You can probably expect a few brief remarks next season from a side character about what a clusterfuck the election was and how it changed everyone's plans.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Rust belt: member when we had jobs?
Detroit: member when Detroit was the Paris of the west?
Idiots: member when Trump said You're Fired?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Anyway, I didn't watch the last two episodes and I'm not sure if I want to (this season didn't really work for me), but there's one thing I'm kind of curious about : did Heidi and Cartman break up or not?
Did not. Despite his misgivings about what women would do to men on Mars, he kept her out of that discussion.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

To escape a man's fate on Earth.

It's Cartman who changed his mind about going to Mars, and that's because he remembered that the women in his Mars dreams earlier in the season would be the ones milking men on Mars.

Cartman posted:

If I stay on Earth where the Internet is, Heidi finds out I know women aren't actually funny. And if I go to Mars, I get milked like a goat.

McSpanky posted:

If they had two versions of their election-focused episodes outlined in the past, they should've had two versions of their election-focused season outlined this time around. Oops.
If. They've never actually written two versions of an election-day episode. They discussed it during a writers' retreat before Season 12 began, but only wrote and animated the Obama version.

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 9, 2016

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
It's a little ambiguous. I guess we'll have to wait nine or so months to find out ;)

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just watched this season and thought it was okay

Wonder how people would take it if they really did drop everything for episode 1 of season 21. Then as episodes go on Memberberries show up to remind people of season 20 and it somehow has a overreaching plot anyway

This got buried but I really actually love this idea. Like maybe an ad for Memberberries during an episode of Terrance and Phillip. The kids fight the Memberberries by doing stupid episodic poo poo, and maybe also getting Kenny killed every week.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Small White Dragon posted:

It's a little ambiguous. I guess we'll have to wait nine or so months to find out ;)

Well, here's hoping. :shobon:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, it's good that they're willing to take risks even if those risks don't always work out. It's what help keeps the show fresh.

100% agreed with this. They're basically doing the cartooning equivalent of improvising, so I'd rather they take risks and try new and different things, even if it leads to an off year.

I thought that Matt and Trey seemed to acknowledge that what they tried didn't work out - wasn't "the internet" basically a metaphor for this season where they talk about needing to take a mulligan (hence the episode name)? If figuring out what didn't work with season 20 makes season 21 better, I'm all about it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Got a kick out of Gerald's brief TrollTrace history

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!
There was much more than that, but it went by too fast for good screenshots. The ones for Ike are cute though. recent activity and activity from three weeks ago.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I'm kinda sad they went with ending the trolling thing instead of any of the other plotlines. Not that it wasn't funny at all, but there are better recent events to make fun about than people trolling on the internet.

Also, while Ike's online activity is cute, mind that he was screaming insults into the microphone before he got interrupted. Either he's using speech-to-text to use google or his minecraft playing style is quite concerning.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I really liked the ending. Nobody learnt anything, and in a way, that's sort of the end of serialization. No lessons were learned, the internet reset to zero, and the first email? Trolling. That said, they clearly hitched their season to the idea of a Hillary presidency which I don't blame them, because that's just what the polls said.

I don't think this disproves the concept of serialization but it certainly says that they shouldn't rest everything on a linchpin like that.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Nobnob posted:

I'm kinda sad they went with ending the trolling thing instead of any of the other plotlines. Not that it wasn't funny at all, but there are better recent events to make fun about than people trolling on the internet.

I would have liked to see more of the police investigation into Cartman's disappearance from social media.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
This season was loving terrible. The arc lasted WAY to long. Also memberries were stupid and never fully explained.

Saying that, as someone said before, I'm glad they're trying to do different things with the show. I respect one who tries to innovate and fails rather than one who rests on their laurels.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

WillieWestwood posted:

There was much more than that, but it went by too fast for good screenshots. The ones for Ike are cute though. recent activity and activity from three weeks ago.

Ike has extremely good taste.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I like his strict schedule of swapping between Minecraft and WoW every day.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

he has the good sense to watch gumball streams, wants to learn how to make excellent chocolate milk, and even keeps in touch with his cousin kyle. what a mensch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I hope there is video released from Trey and his daughter doing the Ike/Kyle exchange with the wash your mouth out with soap poo poo.

• Locked thread