Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This launched a pretty great discussion in the NHL N/V thread and it's best continued in a new one.

If you've interacted in any way with sports from elementary school up through your high school years, you have no doubt run into parents who get just a wee bit too fired about the play of little Timmy or Betty. Maybe you were a referee as a teenager making a little money officiating 11 year old kids in a soccer match, and a coach threatened to loving kill you (yes, that happened to someone here). Maybe you were a player yourself and were called a loser shithead by someone's dad because you missed a field goal in Pop Warner. Maybe you were a coach threatened by a broken beer bottle wielding parent because someone didn't get enough ice time!

I'd like to think that ultimately there are far more awesome (or just respectful) sports parents than the jackasses, but the stories of the jackasses are a range of fascinating to terrifying. Post 'em here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Some choice ones from the NHL thread:

Overwined posted:

I've told this story before, but my grandfather -- coaching bantam hockey at the time -- once got threatened with a broken bottle in the parking lot because he didn't play some douchebag's son enough. The kid had plenty of TOI -- he was the team's best defenseman -- but my grandfather pulled him off the ice for the second half of the 3rd because the kid said he took a puck off his ankle and it was hurting him.

Aphrodite posted:

I have a few family members who play for Mohawk teams, so consider normal hockey parents and throw extreme loving medieval racism into the mix.

Mind_Taker posted:

I used to referee soccer. One time I called a penalty when a player was very clearly tripped in the box. An assistant coach on the offending team started yelling at me saying how bad the call was, and then after the team scored on the penalty he yelled to me "You know in South America referees are killed for calls like that!"

I immediately ended the game as a forfeit because gently caress being threatened like that. I called the commissioner of the league to tell him what happened and he banned the coach from the league.

Oh yeah I was like 16 years old at the time and was reffing like 12 year olds.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

One time I got thrown out of a high school lacrosse game because I made fun of an obnoxious parent's weight and flipped her the bird. Also the other school got a penalty shot because of my unsportsmanlike behavior and they scored on it, putting them ahead 10-2. Our team was the whipping boy of the division but and everyone knew it but I had to run extra laps at the next practice anyway. I think coach thought he was teaching me a life lesson but all I really learned is that it's really funny to watch a 45-year-old woman work herself up into hysterics because a 16-year-old called her a fat piece of poo poo.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Flyinglemur posted:

and finally, I was reffing a game of early teens. I apparently made a "blown call" because one of the coaches lost his poo poo on me. He started calling me every name in the book during the game in front of everyone (including his son) so the other ref game him a bench minor. After the game as I was taking my equipment off he got in my face screaming at me for being terrible so I told him that he wouldn't have to worry about it because it was my last game reffing. I was being stationed overseas in a couple of months and was going to have to quit soon anyway but that was enough for me. The league president was in the scoring table watching it all happen and didn't care to step in. Dude's kid joined in on the screaming as well. Oh and the coach and I were stationed together at the same command and were teammates in the adult roller hockey rec league. Great guy.

I'm sorry but that is goddamn hilarious. Did he ever apologize for the blow up?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh god, a friend's husband works with some DCI teams and goddamn I have heard some nutty stories.

Crazy Ted posted:

3-4 years ago the wife of a cousin of mine spent a summer coaching U12 girls' basketball because her oldest daughter was on the team. One of the parents didn't like the fact that she was more excited/animated than the previous coach, and his way to bring that up? Corner her in the hallway after a game, tell her that he didn't like her, punch her in the face twice, and then try to walk away while she's bleeding on the floor.

Holy poo poo :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

E: My dad plays in a couple senior roller leagues, and apparently hockey wives/girlfriends are a thing. A dude on my dad's team stopped showing up because his girlfriend would always be there and yell endlessly, every player on the other team was a scumbag, throw him out, that wasn't a trip, ref you loving suck dog balls. The way my dad tells it, the guy was just embarrassed by it.

Oh god they're totally a thing. I broadcasted a couple roller hockey games and beer league softball games in the summer when we didn't have much else to cover and we would have to cut like every mic except our own headsets.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

bewbies posted:

Now...what I'm curious about is tennis. I only started seriously playing tennis as an adult and have never seen a youth tournament. At the courts I play at, theyhave signs EVERYWHERE saying things like "YOUR KIDS ARE WATCHING" and "THE IMPORTANT THING IS BUILDING CHARACTER NOT WINNING SO CALM THE gently caress DOWN" and "WE WILL KICK YOU OUT IF YOU ACT THAT WAY". I'm really curious what prompted all of these zoo signs and I would have liked to have seen these incidents.

Rich rear end white parents combined with a sport where they only have to watch their own kid, and in most younger leagues there are no umpires so it's down to the players themselves to call in/out.

E: vvv Yeah that's fair

DJExile fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 12, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I coached junior high boys' lacrosse for a winter in this indoor league, basically meant to get the kids some experience and time to learn the game and holy poo poo I am so glad my players parents didn't have my cell phone number or email address. We had one guy at the head of the league, such as it was, and he'd filter things down to us if he felt it was necessary. I've never been so thankful.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Belbos Computer posted:

I thought local TV coverage with commentary might be something unique to my bat-poo poo crazy upper middle-class Alabama football town... Not sure if I'm relieved to find that it exists elsewhere...

Toledo, Ohio checking in and I have been doing this 11 years now. For the most part the parents love us being there, and they can get DVDs of games and we're in HD and everything, but hooooo boy some of the poo poo our mics pick up...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

God bless anyone who officiates these days, I have no idea how you do it. I chat with some of them before and after our broadcasts and god those poor fuckers have some mean thousand-yard stares after a while.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

On the other hand, we imported some coaches in the style of "Iron" Mike Keenan from the rural backwaters of Saskatchewan over the years. One major-junior washout we borrowed from the Canadian embassy spotted real potential in our freshman goaltender when he saved some of his 90mph slapshots during a show-off session. He spent the season hammering terrifying missiles at the kid when he wasn't berating him to skate faster in our sprints; I suppose the extra pads weren't a good excuse for a lack of speed. I can be pretty confident this coach succeeded in removing fag passes from our game along with tendencies to act like fuckin' pussies when we had our bell rung. Not clear if he can take credit for that goaltender quitting the team and running away from home later on; adolescence is a complicated time, eh.

jesus christ :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fantastic article on Syracuse.com about high school coaches having to deal both with jackass parents, and administrations that never seem to back them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Flyinglemur posted:

Are you in CNY or did you just happen upon this?

Happened upon it, I'm in Ohio.

• Locked thread