Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
The last time I played organized kids sports, it was summer ball hockey and I must have been 11 or 12. The coach was a hyper competitive jerk.He tried to have us have mandatory practices, where we'd have to present homework on set plays. Most teams had zero practices, since this was a fun league for kids to run around outside.

Anyway. Most teams had enough players for the standard 4 forward lines and 3 defence pairings. Every team I'd ever played on would just roll the lines one after another unless it was the end of the game and it was close, at which point teams would either put out their best players or the players who had shown the best spirit. It was that kind of league.

Anyway, this coach. He didn't just roll lines. He made sure to identify his top few players and play them all the time. The second and third games of the season, I played about 6 minutes combined. On the fourth game, he just rolled two lines the whole game. I just sat on the bench, never getting to play. At one point, our best player, one of those kids who hit puberty before everyone else, got hurt. A chance for the rest of us to play? Nope. He just started rotating the 5 remaining top 6 forwards for the rest of the game.

After the game, my parents complained to the league. The coach, to justify what he did, phoned our house, and asked to speak to me. He then spent 10 minutes detailing, first, how he was trying to win, and the whole team would win, and I should appreciate that. Then he said that he was so distraught over our best player getting hurt (with like 15 minutes left), that he'd just forgotten that the rest of us were on the bench.

I think he was banned from the league by the end of the season, though I never went back so I don't know for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

shyduck posted:

Edit: For those not involved in ice hockey in the US, referee abuse and "hockey dad syndrome" became enough of a problem that USA Hockey ran a huge ad campaign in every rink and in print publications to try and curtail it.

Hell yes we got those here too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReKw6J5tK2c

• Locked thread