Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Hello Vim users!

Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 8.0

This the first major Vim release in ten years. There are interesting
new features, many small improvements and lots of bug fixes.

Among the new features are:
- Asynchronous I/O support, channels, JSON
- Jobs
- Timers
- Partials, Lambdas and Closures
- Packages
- New style testing
- Viminfo merged by timestamp
- GTK+ 3 support
- MS-Windows DirectX support

Once you have installed Vim 8.0 you can find details about the changes
since Vim 7.4 with:
:help version8
Or view it online:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/vim/vim/master/runtime/doc/version8.txt

Gratitude
---------

If you like Vim, please consider helping poor children in the south of
Uganda: http://iccf-holland.org

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

omg

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Crusader posted:

- MS-Windows DirectX support

:vince:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
:q:

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
i would have upvoted, but you have Jobs on there, so i cannot on principle

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
hell loving yeah!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

listening to this right now as i read the release notes, chest swelling with pride https://audio.apmmusic.com/mp3_128/KPM/KPM/KPM_KPM_0162/KPM_KPM_0162_02701.mp3

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
lol editor hipsters using a primitive screen editor designed for terminals without arrow keys in a time before we understood that modal user interfaces were bad

still perpetually surprised that none of them are trying to out-hipster each other by using actual vi instead of vim, by turning off syntax coloring to "remove distractions," or by using ed because "actually, the command line nature makes it more powerful"

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

eschaton posted:

lol editor hipsters using a primitive screen editor designed for terminals without arrow keys in a time before we understood that modal user interfaces were bad

still perpetually surprised that none of them are trying to out-hipster each other by using actual vi instead of vim, by turning off syntax coloring to "remove distractions," or by using ed because "actually, the command line nature makes it more powerful"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

eschaton posted:

real hipsters use ex mode

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
keyboard using scrubs. i use a small magnet directly on a 8'' floppy disk for all my coding

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
im just whistling into a telephone

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

GameCube posted:

listening to this right now as i read the release notes, chest swelling with pride https://audio.apmmusic.com/mp3_128/KPM/KPM/KPM_KPM_0162/KPM_KPM_0162_02701.mp3

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i heard the first chord and thought it was gonna be the USSR state anthem

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i write all my code using a magnifying glass, a steady hand, and my magnetized needle dick

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

i write all my code using a magnifying glass, a steady hand, and my magnetized needle dick

are u trying to say you gently caress your compy??? sick??

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its okay to gently caress your computer, as long as, you never cumin it.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i have the new vim and honestly it still works exactly the same as before so :shrug:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
does it have a hex editor yet?

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

The Management posted:

does it have a hex editor yet?

code:
:%!xxd

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

eschaton posted:

the mark of good software design is when it's user base has to constantly tell beginners "you get used to it"

warhero
Apr 4, 2016

eschaton posted:

have you ever ssh'd into a server

these are useful skills

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

warhero posted:

these are useful skills

please tell us more about how having to modify 3 lines of config files per week justifies having to learn the most unintuitive and voluntarily complicated piece of software ever made!

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

warhero posted:

these are useful skills

ever heard of nano? you know, the text-based text editor that actually behaves like a normal editor?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Satellit3 posted:

are u trying to say you gently caress your compy??? sick??

Is it because it's male? loving homophobe. Reported

warhero
Apr 4, 2016

Kid CUDA posted:

ever heard of nano? you know, the text-based text editor that actually behaves like a normal editor?

can't argue with that. i concede defeat

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I remote desktop into remote machines

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I used vi to install nano once on a busted computer. It was really hard for me.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Kid CUDA posted:

nano reminds me of EVE, which was bad

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
nano? heh. i use pico

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I use vim both locally and on a VPS for active development every day AMA

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Vim is good

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

eschaton posted:

:nallears: tell me more about your inability to expend mental effort to learn to use a tool

*clicks slowly on buttons and icons* *drools*

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

vim is fine. id rather use visual studio for real development but thats not always an option.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

The Management posted:

does it have a text editor yet?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bloody posted:

vim is fine. id rather use visual studio for real development but thats not always an option.

vim is poo poo. but sometimes you have to use it

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

warhero posted:

these are useful skills

i just use sshfs instead of pretending it's 1970 whenever i want to use a server

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
/dev/tty is the world's biggest piece of legacy garbage that so many people inexplicably love

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Any web browser will do for casual shitposting.

Which is why the lastest emacs version now has webkit support :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
vim is gr8

• Locked thread