Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garcin
Jun 15, 2000

Wicker Man posted:

This is true, but more often than not, the gentle approach only works when it's coming from close friends and family; anyone else and it's through one ear and out the other. Shaming probably only gives a similar reaction. Besides, people almost always gravitate to the path of least resistance.

I think what really matters is getting a person to look inside and finally hit whatever proverbial wall gets them to finally say "Ok, enough is enough. I want to change, and this time I mean it!" It's all a question of how to get someone to that point.
I'm not sure if any approach works from the outside. I hate it but that tipping point between life and death is really all that matters.

I support counseling and a truly intellectual and scientific approach. But nothing quite works like accepting a real placebo into your body and truly taking responsibility for your actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000

NomChompsky posted:

yeah and the path to that point, as with any problem that afflicts people from obesity to drug abuse, is going to depend entirely on that person and their specific circumstances. which is probably why the two sides of the coin will always fight about whether to shame or support because both answers are probably insufficient on their own.

the sad fact also is that not everyone will get better. that's just life.
Something like 80% of antidepressants are prescribed by general practitioners - just normal doctors.

And going to your doctor is encouraged and necessary as a part of your health insurance regimen.

But you are never encouraged to go to a counselor, or someone who practices brain medicine. We just SUCK IT DOWN.

• Locked thread