Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Tricky D posted:

I don't hate fat people. I believe people who lack self awerness and personal responsibility deserve to be shamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
People who are very overweight seem to be allergic to any kind of discomfort. Kind of like those tumbler kids who can not stand anything that makes them slightly uncomfortable. A noticeable overlap between the two.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Tricky D posted:

A fat who refuses to be shamed refuses to make the lone contribution to society that they are capable of.

It's far easier to change the world instead of going a tad hungry or working up a sweat.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Waroduce posted:

Fat is Beautiful

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

NomChompsky posted:

a normal healthy person who lives a regular lifespan will consume about the same amount of healthcare particularly when they get old the difference is obese people tend to die earlier and the lifetime healthcare costs get compounded by that

anyway some people respond well to tough love, others respond well to a more gentle approach, and no matter what if you're going to do either of these things it should be solicited by the other person who presumably trusts you regardless of which way you go. being adult fuckin OWNS SON IT OWNS

This is true, but more often than not, the gentle approach only works when it's coming from close friends and family; anyone else and it's through one ear and out the other. Shaming probably only gives a similar reaction. Besides, people almost always gravitate to the path of least resistance.

I think what really matters is getting a person to look inside and finally hit whatever proverbial wall gets them to finally say "Ok, enough is enough. I want to change, and this time I mean it!" It's all a question of how to get someone to that point.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Sialia posted:

Well the last thread about fat people died so I guess we need a new one.

For every silent lurker that quietly decides to get more serious about controlling their weight and take the first couple of steps to being a better person and being genuinely happy, they are worth it.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

This, this, this, etc.

Trying to combat bad eating habits with extreme exercise can be very off putting to people that don't really understand weight management. You gotta work out like you are training to be in the Olympics to negate and overcome a poo poo diet.

Barring a serious preexisting medical condition, you won't die from going a little hungry now and then. But nope, STARVATION MODE! GOTTA AVOID THAT, *munch*.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Proud Rat Mom posted:

why is gbs so full of hate? :/

Get out of here, keg.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Pannus posted:

Please make this the new background of Gbs

I miss your old name, but the new one is more to the point :)

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Moon Atari posted:

You've just been interpreting the tone wrong due to the ambiguity of written language. We actually feel childlike love for all people we encounter, in the manner of a dog or someone with down syndrome.

Unironically this.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Rutibex posted:

its not hard wired, its cultural. cave men loved fatties, because back in cave man days being fat meant you either good at hunting or good at making other people hunt for you. both useful traits

being fat today means you have low willpower and low self respect

We talkin' Unnnnfff sexy or more like "look at them, with their posh life. Wish I had that."

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

notZaar posted:

In those days being fat was like having your own private jet, shows just how wealthy you are.

The village girls don't get fat unless they come from a rich family that does no labor. Marry one, and you get to be on easy street :cool:

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

LethalGeek posted:

I don't know why people come out to suddenly defend this topic when we have been making fun of sadbrains for ever. Fats are almost always sadbrains and fit right in with being pointed at like furries bronies and whatever flavor of bullshit tumblr teenagers thought up this week.

Hits too close to home, far more than 9/11 victims or pictures of starving African children.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

LethalGeek posted:

Potatoes are great and get a bad rap over all this starch bullshit. Eat a potato.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

runupon cracker posted:

Are you saying you can't control your fat shaming?

Well of course not, I need it to live!

Also fat in ye older times usually meant being a little rounder in the face. You were considered 'soft' if you looked like that, and it was definitely looked down on.

Wicker Man fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 14, 2016

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Pistol_Pete posted:

I might stick this text at the bottom of my avatar.

gently caress, I've been dying to know more about the source of your avatar for years. Space Marine and Slanaash or whatever?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

henpod posted:

I was fat as a teenager, very fat. I sorted myself out and now am healthy and look alright. That's why I don't have much sympathy for really fat people as it does take discipline. Sure, mental illness and despair make it difficult to take action for some, but a lot are just lazy and in denial that they are unhappy.

I love this image, and the video that it's from. Great watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6mMpE8AaA0

Always good.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

runupon cracker posted:

Not all criticism of self-harming behavior is shaming. But hey, nice straw man.

How is that a straw man? It sounded like a fair point.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Carmant posted:

you sound like an idiot. stfu

You get owned way too much to be saying that :colbert:

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

NomChompsky posted:

people who used to be fat and aren't anymore generally are the ones who are the most vocally hateful toward currently fat people because they now can poo poo on someone who was just like them and it's socially acceptable and also because they just fling all that self hatred they had at that person which is kind of hilarious and far more pathetic than someone who is fat imo

It usually sounds more like their angry because they KNOW the excuses are bullshit, and even admit as such.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

runupon cracker posted:

Yeah, formerly fat person here. I think it has a lot to do with why the person lost weight to begin with. I think a lot of people who lose weight don't like themselves, and think that if they lose weight they will suddenly like themselves again. Then, when they become skinny and still don't like themselves, it causes cognitive dissonance and they project their self-loathing onto what they used to be.

In my case it was a medical/quality of life choice. I didn't want to struggle doing every little thing in my daily life anymore and slowly slip into a diabetic nightmare. I liked myself before I lost weight, and I still like myself, so I'm not angry at GRRRR FAT PEOPLE.

Seriously though, this is why it is so important that the public as a whole needs more education on both basic nutrition and the mechanics of weight management. And us Americans are usually pretty miserable on average, so better mental health and awareness as well.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

runupon cracker posted:

I successfully lost 135 lbs and have kept it off for over two years now.

Fat is Beautiful.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Pistol_Pete posted:

Dude, you only had to ask!

I chose the pic 'cos it's basically me,

Hah, thanks!

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

various cheeses posted:

wow this thread is 13 pages fat alreadY/

The original was morbidly obese. This is just baby fat.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
If you ain't got the 'beetus, or some tricky preexisting medical condition, you could go about 48 hours with only water without any harm while taking a good chunk of calories out of your body. Even the hunger isn't that bad after the 18+ hour mark. Just remember to eat sensibly on the other days.

It wouldn't hurt to take a multivitamin with a glass of milk each day to make sure you're not COMPLETELY devoid of nutrients.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

runupon cracker posted:

fasting is a great way to lose weight if you don't mind losing muscle while you're doing it

If you are exercising, specifically strength training, and getting an adequate amount of protein, muscle loss should be minimal. Especially if we are just talking 2 days tops. You shouldn't experience any kind cataclysmic break down or whatever from that.

Not a crazy amount of protein, just enough so you aren't totally deprived. Might not count as a true fast I guess, but if calories are kept relatively low your weight loss will be pretty quick.

Wicker Man fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 15, 2016

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

lazorexplosion posted:

Getting obese is super easy because all you need to do is eat a bit more than your required calorie intake for a few years and you'll get there without even thinking about it, losing weight is pretty easy because all you need to do is eat a bit less that your required calorie intake for a few years and you'll get there pretty easily too.

Trying to not eat for days so you can be not fat in a few months is dumb and hard.

For someone very obese who's probably got other health issues going on, I don't recommend that at all. My fault for not specifying that.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

gently caress the ROW posted:

Potential parody thread: Flat shaming is wrong... theyve still got vaginas

Who the gently caress are people to tell me the Earth is round? Looks pretty flat to me when I look across the ocean :smug:

Zo posted:

Over a billion people fast every day for like a month each year. A billion rare and mystifying exceptions :captainpop:

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Blitter posted:

It is awesome how many positive posts about exercise and weight control have been made, but I think it's because all the fats have gravitated to the bottom of the forum in the QCS anti fat shaming thread.

Are they really doing it again? :dmca:

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Panfilo posted:

So who gets to arbitrate what's acceptable? It's not like you can weigh someone in a photograph oe apply any objective rubric to determine too fat or too skinny.

The strain on the medical system nation wide is definitely something to be bothered by.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Wulfolme posted:

Anonymously making fun of fat people from a distance is always ok though right?

But that's all SA does! Certainly not just fat people.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Rakosi posted:

i like how the fat people are trying to end this thread by trying their hardest to make it argumentative and unfunny. shenanigans imo

That's how it always goes, they try to bring it down by starting fires from the inside.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

personable decorum posted:

No one knows what it's like to live inside a jar until you're standing at the bar serving the whiskey =/

Does never leaving your apartment count as a square jar?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

NObodiesGeek posted:

They do what goons always tell them to do. Push a weight.

I swear the pregnant lady that panhandles at the same stop light on my way home from work has been consistently pregnant for the past two years.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Unlike ugly, fat can 99/100 times be changed, idk why people stick with the idea of being fat as core to their being since you'll never change at that point.

When people get pressed on it, they bring up a laundry list of other issues (the big one being DEPRESSION) as to why being fat isn't too terribly different than how tall you are or what your skin color is.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
We all secretly wish to have the courage to give in to our natural urges to eat everything cheesy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

EvilJoven posted:

Hey I found the secret to not being fat it's called getting off your rear end and not eating too much. I was stuck doing this but started putting numbers into Strava and Myfitnesspal and lost 25lbs over the summer.

Also exercise is super addictive when I used to wake up and couldn't sleep I'd sit in front of the computer playing stupid games but this morning when I couldn't get back to sleep I got on my bike and put 20k on it and got home like 10 mins before my alarm would have gone off.

Install these two apps and get off your lard asses there's literally no excuse.

That's too hard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKs0oEIVOck

• Locked thread