Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
we should be redirecting out shame from fat chicks to the clothing designers for not catering to their fat asses instead

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...m=.891acea5a074

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
"don't count calories, it will only make you exercise self control"

can't argue with that chubs, have another box of thin mints

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
^^^

Proud Rat Mom posted:

i think people on this forum would seem cooler if they stopped getting anrgr at trans, fats, chinese people or mountain climbers or whatever its not a bid deal really :s

"mountain climber" spotted

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Pistol_Pete posted:

Has anyone posted that super-sincere serious post yet about how rice and beans and poached chicken are the magic ingredients to a life of blissful non-fattyness? Because it's me, I'm that poster.

eat ice cream and cake if you like, I know I do, physics says counting calories has to work and only really entitled lazy fatties argue with physics

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

You made a point that cruelty never solves anything and I merely reminded you that it solves every major problem in your life. Sorry your myopic understanding of the world makes you look dumb when you talk.

just how fat are you anyway

skeevy achievements fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 13, 2016

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

runupon cracker posted:

Actually no, it does the exact opposite. There's scientific evidence there to suggest that the whole HAES, "fat is beautiful" insanity is a direct result of the rise of fat shaming combined with the ease of creating self-destructive hugboxes via the internet.

so people are getting fatter because they're simultaneously 1. constantly being shamed outside their hugboxes and 2. never being shamed inside their hugboxes

taxpayer funded researchers at work folks

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
there's a critical lack of shame in society today and I for one am only too happy to help correct the imbalance

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

oldpainless posted:

A DQ large blizzard can have up to 1500 calories and people will it after eating the 2500 calorie meal. This will happen 2 or 3 times a week in some cases

great rules of thumb for fat people anyone when eating out

1. always order the smallest size of anything, the small fries will cure your craving just as well as the super size ones

2. never order more than 1 of anything, you don't need 2 huge slices of pizza for lunch or a 12" sub, one slice or one 6" sub will do

simple rules like this can cut your calories per meal in half without changing a goddamn thing about your routine, and is by far the easiest way to lose weight

it doesn't cost any money

it doesn't take any time

you don't give up the foods you love

it doesn't require you to alter your lifestyle one bit

you just eat less and by the magic of physics you *will* lose weight, fatass

skeevy achievements fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 15, 2016

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
best part from that thread:

some sadbrains posted:

the irreversible proof of this, is if you click the reply tab on any of these threads with more than like 3 pages, the top posters are always the same handful of broken idiot people who hasn't made a funny post ever.

the level of :ironicat: is off the charts

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Panfilo posted:

Goons expend a lot of air talking about eating habits and creating calorie deficits. They also beat the same strawman about misconceptions about metabolism. But what is much bigger than that is the cultural impact of weight in our society.

Women in particular are far more likely to be obese the poorer they are. Women also get far more poo poo for being fat in the first place, much of it undeserved; a person's self-worth shouldn't be tied to their waist measurement. Girls are growing up in an environment where the number on the scale suggests their own desirability, and if they don't fit that arbitrary and narrow definition then they're worthless. You've got girls as young as ten or younger obsessing about losing weight not because they're overweight by any stretch but because they've convinced themselves that just being yourself isn't enough in society, you have to conform to some arbitrary standard. You've got toxic parents with horrible eating habits and control issues themselves telling these girls 'clean your plate' but simultaneously judging them for their weight. So these girls grow up to be women with an extremely dysfunctional relationship to food and beauty. If they felt like growing up they couldn't meet all these crazy standards, then as adults it isn't going to be easy for them to convince themselves they can make healthy and positive changes in their life.

HAES people are delusional of course but their attitude didn't just spring out of nowhere. It was spawned from a culture that defines beauty fairly narrowly; much like how a person of color might reject beauty standards based on anglo features, a person that is a size 14 will reject beauty standards based on a size 0.

We need to treat food addiction like drug addiction. It is hard, of course, since we need food to live. But I see the same patterns in both categories- addicts that hide their stash from people that would judge them, lying to others/themselves about the depth of their problem, using the substance/food as a source of comfort, and surrounding themselves with enablers. A lot of people have told me that treating drug addiction like a moral problem is a big mistake we've made in the war on drugs, if we treated these problems more like psychological problems we could probably make far more inroads in managing them.

I'm not a sociologist and don't know how to cure society of fatness

but I do know how to cure individuals of fatness

and I'll wager calorie counting against nascent sociological theory anytime

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Panfilo posted:

Tying their self-worth to weight doesn't motivate them to do something about it. When people are happy and self-confident they will take feedback much better than when they are depressed and delusional. Obesity is most definitely a class signifier especially when it comes to women and that in turn is a way for people to judge them on their worth. As is women are already under a disproportionate amount of scrutiny on their appearance, and it is far, far more cultural than :biotruths: .

your theory in a nutshell is that positive reinforcement better leads people to make changes than negative reinforcement

my theory is that positive reinforcement just leads people to be happy with who they are and unmotivated to make positive change

now which of our theories has been borne out by evidence in society over the past 20 years

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

KVeezy3 posted:

Fat people don't like how fat people look. No amount of delusion will bypass that fact. Disgust at excess bodyfat transcends all cultures and periods of time, maybe you should consider what that means rather than taking offense on behalf of all the little girls.

guys don't you realize there's an epidemic of anorexia among 10 year old girls and all other laughably un-cited assertions by certified chubby chaser and soc undergrad (redundant I know) panfilo

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

LethalGeek posted:

We make fun of austism/MRAs/Bronies/whatever else that all stem from people with severe mental issues. We constantly poo poo on the people in TCC. I know we've made fun of poor & rich people I just can't think of a specific instance.

But soon as someone goes LOL FATS people lose their minds :shrug:

modern progressivism dictates that being fat is like being black, it's something you're born to be and you can never change it

coincidentally no one respects modern progressivism much to the sorrow of chubby DND/QCS would-be intellectuals

in short whatever bimbo said "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" was spot loving on way to go toots

edit: good for you vvvvv

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

guys posting this means we're in a hate thread and it needs to be gassed or quarantined in another forum and that's why lowtax can't attract new users or make money on SA and also why baby jesus has aids
:qqsay:

that said lol even doctors shame fatties leeching off taxpayer funded healthcare like Grimace up there and you should too as your patriotic duty :patriot:

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

C-SPAN Caller posted:

This thread reminded me to look after my calories harder and continue to monitor my weight so I don't become a hambeast like the pics in this thread, and I've already dropped 5 lbs over the past two weeks

Thank you thread

Shame WorksTM

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Germstore posted:

No one cares what fat people think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx