Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
"is fat shaming wrong" is an open question. "is being fat shameful" is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I feel bad for every fat person who has ever been forced to read a GBS fat thread. Just terrible.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Q: Are there fats in countries with conscription? I can't imagine any amount of Swiss chocolate will keep Hans fat while he rucks the Alps.

No, the genetic diseases that cause obesity are restricted to the US,UK and Mexican populations.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I don't see how any GBS fat thread is making fats feel self loathing. I guess waddling in from places unknown and not clicking on the GBS fat thread would takes too much self control.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Gaunab posted:

get a load of this fatty

can't argue with waist to hip ratio

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

it's literally a fat woman fetish

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

What's the SS? That's how they name ships so it must be hilarious.

Super Saiyan

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

But for real, yo. Most people don't grow up understanding the basics of nutrition. They don't know that a g of fat is 9 calories and a g of carbs, protein is 4. They can't even do that math. That's an institutional failure that cannot be blamed on an individual but must be held accountable to society at large.

That simply sara chick is loving disgusting though.

Simply Sara is just as god made her (with a little help from wanda's pasta salad).

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

calorie intake unrelated to weight, gbs threads directly to blame

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I remember fat shaming in the 60s. You had to pay a quarter to peep a real fatty. A dollar if you wanted to throw a tomato at him. That was a bit of money back in those days.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

runupon cracker posted:

yes, nothing says "shitpost" like links to scientific studies

This but unironically.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

runupon cracker posted:

lol I don't have a BA, I'm a programmer

computer science should really be a BA (source, I have a BS in computer science).

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

even if it is counterproductive I don't see what that has to do with GBS fat threads. "Ahhh, a GBS fat thread I bet this is a place I can get positive affirmation for my lifestyle." *click* "Cr-criticism!" *shoves mini-apple pie down throat*

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Are we pretending behavioral science is actually science now?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

runupon cracker posted:

Are we picking and choosing the science we want to believe in based on whether or not it agrees with our worldview?

No. Behavioral science is literally not science. Cherry picking individual studies also isn't scientific because of the severe selection bias involved in paper publication.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

To put it in a way even programmers can understand:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

In behavioral science it is almost always too expensive to have a proper sample size or to actually repeat studies. And it would be too immoral to actually use the scientific method so it tends to be more data mining than science.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I know, but the point it makes is valid.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Obviously I understand why you can't take 2000 people put them in the same daily situation except for their scientifically administered shame dose, but you'll forgive me if I take less stock in those studies when taken in isolation.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

runupon cracker posted:

so where are your studies about the positive effects of shame? Or are you going to continue Rick Perrying it up?

I will continue to call you a baby goon for linking random abstracts you googled.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

runupon cracker posted:

I hope you won't mind if I continue calling you a self-loathing piece of poo poo who puts other people down to feel better about himself

are you trying to make me fat?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

And I'll have you know I'm very nice on and offline. I only give people poo poo on GBS where it's completely consensual. In fact even on GBS I don't go into threads that I know I disagree with just to call people assholes.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

How many nurses and EMTs have ruined backs because of fatties?

it approaches 100%, but if you think about it the real monsters are people that say "fat isn't healthy" on a plainly labeled thread on the shitposting subforum of a comedy website.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Runupon, what is your concern? Is it that the "healthism" woman will stumble across a GBS thread, open it, and be so shamed that it scuttles her imminent return to a healthy weight?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

runupon cracker posted:

The people in the photos/videos are GBS posters?

Sorry, I didn't know when someone comments on your wrong opinion on a completely different site you get a psychic ping that causes shame and makes you eat more.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

You see some people have gut bacteria that can pull an extra 5% of calories out of food or something, so thus there must be no connection between diet and weight because frrrrrrrrrrrt

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Can I believe that pushing back on HAES nonsense isn't the same as fat shaming?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

runupon cracker posted:

You can, but it very much depends on how you're "pushing back".

I push back on HAES by actually educating people. How do you do it?

rolling my eyes when I read something about it, and making snarky jokes in gbs. it may not be doing any good, but it also doesn't harm anyone besides making you go aggro for three years straight

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Carmant posted:

It hurts peoples feelings thats not good

maybe they should stay out of clearly labeled gbs fat threads. it is a safe space for venting frustration about the health crisis facing our nation.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

runupon cracker posted:

oh good job then, carry on

I will.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Carmant posted:

It hurts peoples feelings thats not good

Carmant posted:

Yes you are

Carmant posted:

Congrats on not really accomplishing that much and then not even being able to maintain what little you did accomplish I guess. Thats a good reason to be really smug

lol, you dumb piece of poo poo.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Carmant posted:

Shut the gently caress up bitch

suck on my dick, friend

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Carmant posted:

Finish melting down first I dont want to burn my mouth, fucker

i'll melt down in your mouth

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The easiest way to lose weight and get in shape is to become a lumberjack in the mountains of Canada.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Carmant posted:

Youre stupid, sorry.

I'm starting to think you aren't being ironic.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

If he isn't being ironic or trolling then he made a sincere 'fat shaming is wrong' thread in gbs so being fat is the least of his problems.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I would imagine a not-fat would be an expert on being not-fat.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Carmant posted:

Okay yeah I'm fat, 5'3 and 250 lbs so not quite obese but a little more weight than I'd like. I'm still fairly healthy and I exercise every day. I'm not saying you can be morbidly obese and being in perfect health but it's not like you'll die at 50 from being a little overweight. Oh no I won't live an extra 3 yrs or whatever, big deal.

that is (e: morbidly) obese my good friend. e: 44.3 BMI. okay, I'm back to thinking this is a troll.

Germstore fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 15, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

No one could think a BMI in the mid 40s is a just "a little more weight than I'd like" right? Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

We're either being trolled or this is the greatest gift ever bestowed on a fat thread.

• Locked thread