Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Carmant posted:

Who cares, old people use more resources too. So do physically disabled or people who get in car accidents.

Carmant posted:

That autistic kid is using my resources again.. better shame him

I'm pretty sure if you could diet your way to being young or not-autistic that those problems wouldn't be nearly as bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

is "overall health" code for the "I'm obviously fat / obese / unhealthy but my (insert value) is perfect!"

I might have an enlarged heart, destroyed joints and am going to die at 40 but my cholesterol is perfect. "Overall Health." Big Picture stuff *eats entire cake*

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Proud Rat Mom posted:

i think people on this forum would seem cooler if they stopped getting anrgr at trans, fats, chinese people or mountain climbers or whatever its not a bid deal really :s

Everest, really?

Rich people are throwing themselves off cliffs and down chasms.

I can see the criticism of making jokes about fat and trans people but mountain climbers aren't addicted to being dead of exposure and don't identify as a piece of Himalayan ice that needs to go be with it's people.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I'm fat but it's not my fault

The solution to obesity is to fix society so everyone isn't miserable but the capitalist fatcats don't want that

the thing about using being miserable / depressed as a crutch to gorge is that you just end up a miserable / depressed fat person.

It doesn't solve anything so choosing to make yourself even more depressed because now society shames you, you live with difficulty and you are going to die at a young age isn't exactly a defensible position.

I mean if cake was a medication that actually cured your depression that stance might be defensible in a "still pointless but technically valid argument" sort of way

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Zzulu posted:

Are all fat people depressed?

Nah, I know plenty of fats that are perfectly happy.

They are just fat for Genetics, Glandular Disorders, Societal Pressures, Upbringing, Food Addiction, Astrological sign, Because they can be, (Insert 50 other excuses)

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Cake does make you feel good temporarily though. Brief moments of happiness is all you can hope for if you're poor.

except eating terribly typically costs more than normal person food and thinking like that is kinda delusional.

Say you actually can blame depression for being fat. Then be realistic enough to admit that the depression is the underlying issue and it isn't going to be changed by the fact that you got a reward response from cramming 900 calories in your fuckhole.

If you are the one equating happiness to a handful of sugar it's pretty much your fault for stopping at step zero of the process of being alive because it requires no effort.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

runupon cracker posted:

That is an accomplishment, congrats! I'm glad you found it easy, but know that you are the exception to the rule, and that sustaining that for a year is considerably more challenging than two months.

3/4ths or more of losing weight is diet. If you get fat again it's not because broccoli magically now comes filled with marshmallow cream it's that you stopping giving a poo poo what you ate and probably went back to exactly your old habits of eating way too much of the wrong things.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

runupon cracker posted:

Yeah, there's no way they could be giving up because it's hard, it has to be some mental incapacity. I mean heck, all they're doing is ignoring the mental pressure exerted by a primal instinct, strengthened by the body actively fighting against weight loss, for months or maybe years on end. What could be difficult about that?

Look, I agree that people shouldn't give up on something just because it's hard. But what I don't get is why it's somehow considered bad to acknowledge that it is hard for nearly everybody that does it. It was easy for you? Hey wow congrats on being the exception, but that doesn't mean that everybody who has real difficulty with it is somehow mentally ill.

usually people say that it's hard to give things up because of physical addiction, painful withdrawals or something.

What is hard in this case is not laying on your back like an animal dragging food into your mouth.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Germstore posted:

What type of galdurn cookies are you people eating. A normal sized cookie is less than 100 calories. Which admittedly is more than a three minute jog, but I was using fatties numbers.

fatties typically eat "Cookies" which is like an entire thing of raw cookie dough, a sleeve or more of bagged cookies or something else equally disgusting.

all those portrayals of some poor fat just trying to eat a single tiny chocolate chip cookie are 100% not what is happening with fat people and cookies.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Panfilo posted:

If you look at maps of counties in the US that indicate median income and maps that indicate obesity rates you find that they overlap almost perfectly.

If you want people to put down the fork give them a living wage, reasonable work hours, socialized health care and upward mobility.

I know when I'm sitting at home and can choose to eat ranch dressing covered pizza and an entire bag of doritos before washing it down with gamer fuel my first thought is "If only my socioeconomic situation were better I wouldn't be forced to eat this food which is more expensive than healthy food"

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Panfilo posted:

You wouldn't be in that position in the first place. People with access to fresh produce and time to cook decent meals are going to eat healthier then people with a 7 eleven they rely on for groceries and two part time jobs they have to juggle.

i like how somehow society has flipped to the poorest of us somehow being the fattest

also healthy food is incredibly cheap and anyone that says they don't have an hour to cook a night is a liar.

People are magically turning into giant fat people because they don't make enough money annually. I'd believe more it's just lack of education, expressed mostly in your viewpoint of crying about society, paychecks, wages, geopolitical borders and whatever else that distracts from "Put down the loving fork"

just put it the gently caress down. Blaming society is worse than blaming depression.

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 15, 2016

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Guy Goodbody posted:

If this thread turns into goons sharing their best rice and beans slow cooker recipes I hope we all die

Hey everybody, look at this tumblr full of crazy poo poo

http://thisisthinprivilege.org/

nah that is even worse when people show up ":smug: Just eat rice and pinto beans to solve food being expensive"

However this is a slightly different argument. Fat defenders are saying fats don't have the time to buy or prepare healthy food, so as the main guy making the argument put "They shop at 7-11." Where they are buying poo poo that costs like 100% markup and is all processed garbage. Which most times is probably going to go hand in hand with "Eating whatever you want in whatever quantity" and "Drinking soda" while crying about the socioeconomic situation in America that somehow means they are just unable to be anything but fat.

Panfilo posted:

Then how do you explain the correlation between poverty and obesity in the US? It's real cute that you sidestep the issue because it points out things many people have little control over.

correlation isn't causation. There's a connection between the two but who is to say what exactly it is? (Not You.)

If it was literally "People are poor" the answer wouldn't be "So they buy the most expensive food and eat it in vast quantities"

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Panfilo posted:

There's also a strong relationship between obesity and the hours of sleep a person gets. Not coincidentally, poorer people get less sleep on average, particularly minorities.

i think there is just a strong relationship between any number of things and being fat. Which means there are a ton of excuses.

People like you responding to every criticism about fatness with a never ending series of excuses does literally nothing. Those people can still change their circumstances. They can put in effort, they can not be fat.

They don't want to, and you are just a smokescreen making their job of being fatlords much easier.

The problem here isn't that there are trends which contribute to weight changes, it's that you think that somehow justifies being fat.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
i wonder how angry someone who is actually starving and poor would feel at hugely fat people saying they are poor and can't afford to be skinny.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Panfilo posted:

That's my point. The only way to reverse the problem of to tackle it on a national level.

Telling heroin addicts to just put the needle down isn't going to have some profound change in drug habits, and havimg the same attitude about obesity won't either.

heroin addicts have a physiological dependence on and severe withdrawal from heroin.

Nobody is addicted to cake and pie. People can just put down the fork, and telling each individual person to do that is better than telling them they are beautfiul and running in circles trying to blame wages and hours of sleep for why someone doesn't just stop shoving fistfuls of food in their loving mouth

ArbitraryC posted:

I think the issue is individually the solution is obvious, eat less, move more and it's something the vast majority of people understand regardless of what wacky tweets and blogposts we can laugh at. But if it's such a simple thing, then why are so many people failing at it now and why has that number gone up so much in the past couple decades. I don't think we've all collectively evolved to be lazier with no willpower so there's probably some industrial and cultural explanations that contributed to the epidemic we have today.

So many people are failing at it now due to advances in lovely food technology, making it easier for people with less and less willpower to get fat. Combined with a sedentary lifestyle (internet/gaming/entertainment) which has eliminated the forced movement anyone in less advanced times had to do to accomplish tasks.

That and since the green revolution the world's population has doubled, meaning there are more people to get fat to be more visible.

We probably always had this lovely willpower and lazyness, it just was never this easy to get fat in the entirety of human history so rather than do any kind of work at all people will just cry about food deserts, their free time, their sleep, their mentality, societies view of them, whatever else.

quote:

Yeah as an individual the only thing you really can do is watch what you eat and try to get more exercise but screaming this over and over again until your blue in the face is obviously not doing poo poo about the problem on a wide scale

That's the only thing people can actually do, and even this isn't happening as much as it should due to body positivity, fat acceptance and all that garbage that enables people to drag the entire species down due to being overinflated bags of concentrated calories because apparently everyone but them is stuffing fistfuls of food in their mouths.

Being fat is luckily one of the ailments of your life, and society, that can simply just be changed. Just stop loving eating so much. Stop it.

We will always shake our fists and shout to the skies about poverty, world hunger, disease, inequality and whatever other societal issues exist. But being a fat rear end is entirely curable.

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 16, 2016

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

ArbitraryC posted:

I disagree that it's the only thing we can do, we can put more effort into regulating the food industry (probably through a variety of taxes that either make healthier options more appealing to producers or unhealthy options less appealing to consumers), we can put more effort into educating our kids (honestly the number of people I've known in my 20's that could do anything in a kitchen more complicated than heating prepackaged food is abyssmal), and change the way we handle modern labor in light of our industrial productivity and the lack of physical activity involved in many common occupations.

Social and industrial changes made it easier for people to be fat so they're gonna be more fat, social and industrial changes can make it easier for people to be more fit and they'll be fit. People haven't changed, their environment has, and expecting a bootstraps personal responsibility approach to solve any society wide issue is honestly just plain ignorant because that literally never works.

We aren't exactly disagreeing. I'm just extremely pessimistic and you are optimistic.

I don't see those societal / industry changes as things that are going to happen anytime soon, especially with fat acceptance and safe spaces growing along with the number of fat people. I agree that those things are the only true effective way to actually solve societal issues.

Also being fat isn't like being poor, or being disadvantaged from birth, or any other societal issue you say bootstraps does not solve. You actually can bootstrap your way out of not being fat. This isn't like the idiocy of telling people to work more to become rich. This is literally down to your body and what you chose to put in it.

Protecting fat people from criticism doesn't solve anything. And pretending like telling people they shouldn't be fat is a waste of time because you really need society as a whole to make changes is ignoring that a person in a completely preventable situation can prevent that situation, and that telling them that is a valid recourse.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

ArbitraryC posted:

Right but you could if you wanted to bootstraps your way to being amazing at any sort of hobbies or trades, it's just not something your average person is ever going to have the willpower or motivation to do. Work harder/smarter is honestly the solution to a lot of life's problems but the human brain is seldom cooperative with those kinds of efforts, telling people to eat less and move more is just trying to push obesity up a hill over and over again only to have it come tumbling down on you every time.

The problem with that though is that you don't have to perform any of those hobbies on a daily basis to live. If you don't play a guitar right for a specific period of time you aren't going to die from a lack of vital nutrients. So there is an excuse to just not bother with any typical thing that you could potentially totally be great at with practice. It's just not really that important to maintain or practice habits like that, which is why people fail at them.

Eating and drinking is part of existing as an organism. It's kind of different if you are just not bothering to give a poo poo about the proper way to live instead of not giving a poo poo if you get better at a task by repetition or hard work.

And in addition to that it's actually quite a bit of work to stay fat in the first place

Fat people just like the work better since it involves going out of your way to not move around and ignore calories, ignore health problems, ignore illness, ignore pains, ignore all of the bodys warning signs to smash food into their mouth

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Carmant posted:

Those women look beautiful and happy

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Dreddout posted:

I legitimately don't understand how the human skeleton can support that.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Bum the Sad posted:

Or you can do what I do often and just not eat all day long until dinner. And then eat all three meals at once like a giant piece of poo poo but not gain weight because you're at a big calorie deficit for the day.

thats actually a terrible way to do it. Eating once daily typically makes your body think you are conservation mode so you hold on to more of what you eat. If you are managing to maintain a weight or lose weight while eating like this you would probably have way more success by eating in properly spaced intervals.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
ya'll are stupid my body goes into conservation mode all the time and i poop once a month like a food camel

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

GORDON posted:

Yesterday:

WOke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head.

I had 2 cups of coffee during the morning commute.

I swam a mile at 8am.

I had a protein shake right after.

Fasted.

I ate arby's at 8pm, their giant roast beef sammitch, a small order of curly fries, and a small diet coke.

I was 2 pounds lighter this morning than I was yesterday.

this is a trick scenario since the Arby's gave you two pounds of diarrhea obviously

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Onion Buns are cheaper than Ex Lax

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I live on nothing but sunlight

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Panfilo posted:

Nobody is claiming this. But it wouldn't surprise me to find statistics that show starving yourself leads to less sustainable weight loss. Eating nothing for 14 hours straight is going to make a person more prone to overeating.

Having weight rebound also tends to cause the person to end up at a higher weight than when they started. Starvation isn't healthy.

Actually, aside from those generally correct things, two people in the thread did claim to be on impossibly low calorie diets while either maintaining or gaining weight.

That's where all the lectures on thermodynamics and calorie under reporting come from since the one guy said he was exercising constantly while eating an impossibly small amount of calories and somehow not losing weight.

Other guy is claiming to be on more strict rations than people in concentration camps but somehow not losing weight either.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Zahgaegun posted:

Metafilter dot png

So this person works out 5 days a week and eats <1500 calories and stays fat.

They also only ate a diet of yogurt while "working out 10 hours a day" and couldn't stay thin.

Seems legit.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

RGBRIOT posted:

That's not what I said at all dude.

I said I ate pretty much next to nil for a year due to financial hardships, then when I started eating normally again, that I gained a ton of weight quickly. Then I asked for clarification on the idea of starvation mode and the possible effects on metabolism since some posters said it's not actually a thing and I wanted to learn more.

If you're going to get lovely about something some one said, maybe make sure you actually know what it was that was said.

or you care too much about how you are interpreted in a fat shaming gbs thread

Also i'm pretty sure nobody is talking about you, not everything is about you buddy

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 18, 2016

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
well i think this thread ran it's course

Fatties you are alright by me, because it doesn't matter how much you weigh. You'll be a forgotten pile of dust sooner or later, nothing you do matters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTB7k1tVujA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Panfilo posted:

The criticisms are the same, the the same zero effort poo poo posts applied: "Why don't they do xyz? Its so easy!" I mean, sure, it's so easy. Just like it's so easy to not be in debt (don't spend beyond your means) or be gainfully employed (put effort into getting a job).

except when faced with racism you can't put down a sandwhich and lose the societal implications of being discriminated against

except when you are in debt you can't just increase your credit score by doing some excercise

except when you are unemployed you don't improve your circumstances by eating smaller portions of food

your arguments are terrible and you are stupid

• Locked thread