Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anphear
Jan 20, 2008
Put some Fender / Wing mirrors on it like this guy:

Any similar vintage Toyota or Nissan should have some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

InitialDave posted:

Ventil zeitliche anpassung elektronische steuerung gerade gekickt im yah.

:golfclap:

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

InitialDave posted:

Holy gently caress, this needs to go on a bumper sticker

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

InitialDave posted:

Ventil zeitliche AnpassuNg elektrOnische Steuerung gerade gekickt im yah.

slight change for emphasis?

Would be better if you could find some way of adding a No/Negativ or something similar...

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Hood scoops bad, hood louvers good.

Can you use cameras instead of side mirrors for less drag?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

jamal posted:

Hood scoops bad, hood louvers good.

Can you use cameras instead of side mirrors for less drag?

Louver-ish already, but more just vented. Fiberglass hood is beat to poo poo and the vent isn't attached but I'll probably just patch the holes, mount the vent and run it for a while.

I'm not building for a class or series other than possibly WRL so I can do pretty much anything I want.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 14, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

Goddamn, thats amazing.

I posted that on Facebook and I am highly disappointed only one car guy got it. Not disappointed a bunch of women worked it out

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Was supposed to meet a guy to look at the 928 but he had something come up which gave me some time to kill. Sat down and took inventory of the boxes of miscellaneous stuff that came with the car.

Box 1: $500 mirror, bag-o-nutserts, AN fittings, relays, front camber plates (I think), mounting brackets for something

Bag 1: Recaro seat mounts/adapters - these didn't come with the car, I picked them up a while ago

Box 2: Brake calipers, rear caliper adapters, pads, caliper rebuild kits, miscellaneous brake and fuel lines

Box 3: Oh god so many wires... Incomplete wiring harness, injector rail, plug wires, DTA engine management system & wiring diagram, diagrams for the DTM/Gruppe A cockpit adjustable swaybars, big bag of rivets, wire wrap, switch panel then a bunch of connectors and other wiring stuff.

Bonus regular E30 front pad compared to what's going on this thing

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 14, 2016

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Those look just like parts of Ground Control camber plates. Well, the camber platey things, obviously.

Nice looking collection of stuff so far. Calipers aren't bleeding edge blingy, (look like cast 2-piece jobs) but AP stuff isn't crap.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I posted that on Facebook and I am highly disappointed only one car guy got it. Not disappointed a bunch of women worked it out
They appreciate a cunning linguist. Go get 'em [strike]tiger[/strike] drop bear.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Shampoo posted:

Like I said on FB, you need a custom plate for that. Something like L8R H8R. I can't wait to hear it.

Also needs the big DOHC vtec stickers from a 90s civic. Maybe a 324 vti badge on the boot?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Why not a K24? Same HP, significantly more torque, less trans/diff bashing.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Phone posted:

Why not a K24? Same HP, significantly more torque, less trans/diff bashing.

This was discussed in the BMW a bit. Largely because I had kind of decided I was going f20/22 and partially because STOCK a k24 makes less power and doesn't come in a RWD format (that I'm aware of). All make less power going off of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_K_engine#K24

I'm sure I could build up a k24 or some hybrid for a lot more power but I'm going for reliable stock power for now. At some point down the road I may look at supercharging this or building a different engine.

On a side note I'm surprised how cheap this thing sold and mad I wasn't at a computer towards auction end. I would have been bidding then trying to figure out how I'm importing it if I had been.
$13750 for a S14 powered, track prepped car is stupid cheap. Even with the previous damage and it being in Canada I expected it to end in the 18-20 range. http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-bmw-m3-8/

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 16, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The fast S2K guys put K motors in when their F series gives up the ghost. I think it's only a few hundred bucks to squeeze more power out of it, and since it's going into a race car, the exhaust is a gimme.

Good stuff, though.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Phone posted:

The fast S2K guys put K motors in when their F series gives up the ghost. I think it's only a few hundred bucks to squeeze more power out of it, and since it's going into a race car, the exhaust is a gimme.

Yeah, a K24a2 (the TSX engine) will safely spin to 7800 and make 220/180 with just the RBC intake from the 2008-2011 civic SI, a good exhaust and a tune. Which is around 50 more ft-lbs than a full bolt-ons s2k motor.

Saga posted:

Also needs the big DOHC vtec stickers from a 90s civic.

Yes, this is mandatory.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Huh good to know, may look at that. Would be pretty easy to sell this what I paid.

Vtec badge is definitely happening along with likely a 320is badge

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NitroSpazzz posted:

along with likely a 320is badge
I didn't think you got those out there? Or is your 320iS an M20 car?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

InitialDave posted:

I didn't think you got those out there? Or is your 320iS an M20 car?

We didn't get the S14 powered 320is in the US...or a M20 version. We didn't get poo poo!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NitroSpazzz posted:

We didn't get the S14 powered 320is in the US...or a M20 version. We didn't get poo poo!
As far as I'm aware there's only the S14 one, that's why I was asking. We didn't get it in the UK either, as far as I'm aware it's just a European tax dodge. But I wouldn't have put it past the US to have had some kind of oddity like a 2.0 M20 that they still called an S for some reason.

Then you have other regional oddities like the South African 325iS actually being a 2.7, or the whole M40 vs M42 thing with 318i later models.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I assume some sort of adapter plate exists to convert the k series to an f series trans?

Take those savings and put ITBs on the k series :flashfap:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The point of the 320 badge is that it has a 2.0 you idiots.

Personally i am all about clean and only what is functional and no badging. I even have a whole website that i never post on about it.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 17, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

jamal posted:

Personally i am all about clean and only what is functional and no badging. I even have a whole website that i never post on about it.

K20 is a 2.0, just sayin

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

PaintVagrant posted:

I assume some sort of adapter plate exists to convert the k series to an f series trans?

Yeah, I haven't looked for it personally, but there are options out there.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Phone posted:

Yeah, I haven't looked for it personally, but there are options out there.

It's becoming a common Miata swap and is already common in S2000s, so yes.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

There are adapters yes

jamal posted:

Yes and your site is good poo poo

Mini, half assed update before I crash for the night. We did a bunch of test fitting with and without the oil pan as well as with and without the steering rack mounted. No oil pan or steering rack and the thing drops in and lines up really nice. Both mounts were one inch back and inward from the e30 mount points on the subframe, engine two inches from firewall and shifter lined up perfect. Was very encouraging. Steering rack is going to be a pain in the rear end, other things look like they should be pretty simple.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

NitroSpazzz posted:

There are adapters yes

Yes and your site is good poo poo

Mini, half assed update before I crash for the night. We did a bunch of test fitting with and without the oil pan as well as with and without the steering rack mounted. No oil pan or steering rack and the thing drops in and lines up really nice. Both mounts were one inch back and inward from the e30 mount points on the subframe, engine two inches from firewall and shifter lined up perfect. Was very encouraging. Steering rack is going to be a pain in the rear end, other things look like they should be pretty simple.

What is this?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Mcqueen posted:

What is this?

https://www.amazon.com/Wera-Koloss-Square-Ratchet-Hammer/dp/B004ISLNQA

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

OH MY GOD.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
No why do you post this I don't need this BUT I NEED THIS drat you

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

NitroSpazzz posted:

STOCK a k24 makes less power and doesn't come in a RWD format (that I'm aware of).

From the factory, you would be correct.

However, the K24 is apparently gaining traction (.....) as a swap option for Miatas, and we even have a K24 swapped Miata thread among us!

I mean, it's not a cheap swap, and it's probably a bit more involved than a F20 swap, but you can definitely convert a K series to RWD duty. It just takes all of the :homebrew:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Mcqueen posted:

What is this?

Buy the extension, always buy the extension. With it this thing works better at breaking loose stuck fasteners than my electric impact

Mcqueen posted:

OH MY GOD.

everdave posted:

No why do you post this I don't need this BUT I NEED THIS drat you
You may be wondering 'why do I need an ratchet good for 600Nm that doubles as a hammer?' The answer is because everyone does. No it isn't cheap but after buying it I haven't used my other ratchets unless the head of this one is too big to fit. Plus it's a loving ratchet that is designed to be used as a hammer!

I also HIGHLY recommend the engineer pliers in that photo, they're designed specifically to grip screws and work amazing - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002L6HJAA

some texas redneck posted:

From the factory, you would be correct.

However, the K24 is apparently gaining traction (.....) as a swap option for Miatas, and we even have a K24 swapped Miata thread among us!

I mean, it's not a cheap swap, and it's probably a bit more involved than a F20 swap, but you can definitely convert a K series to RWD duty. It just takes all of the :homebrew:
I read a few swap and build thread for people putting K24s in Miatas, S2000s and other cars. Using a adapter kit like this https://www.balladesports.com/products/hondas2000/s2000_engine/k-series-to-s2000-transmission-adapter-plate would work. Even with that being available, the cheapness of a stock K24 and the amount of aftermarket support I'm pretty drat settled on the F20 for the time being. When/If I blow this one up I might go with a K24 in the search for more power.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 18, 2016

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Double post for a real update. Yesterday was a good day, brother came over and we made some serious progress.

First things first front of the driveshaft was still attached thanks to a stubborn bolt. I had been spraying it daily in knock'er loose penetrating fluid in hopes of easy extraction. This didn't work so I cut a slit it in for a flat blade, this didn't work either. So I cut off the head as flush I could and used a punch and my Wera ratched to smack it off. Then wrapped some foam and painters tape around the output to avoid beating the poo poo out of it too bad.

Before starting anything I removed this adapter from the oil pan and loosened all the oil pan mounting bolts so it would be easier to remove later. Also loosened the steering rack mounts and steering shaft hardware. Stuck the front end of the car or wheel dollies to get enough height for the engine hoist arms to clear the control arms.

Then we started trying to fit the engine. We kept running into issues hitting the garage door top frame or the top cross member as well as getting enough angle to put the engine in. We talked about just chopping it off but I didn't really want to do that. Then my brother noticed it felt a little loose, looking closer it was just held on by rivets and a couple bolts. Drilled the rivets and got the drat thing out of the way which made the rest of our day go a lot smoother. I want to reattach this more securely than it was but also make it easily removable when I put things back together.

Once that was out of the way we tried fitting with the oil pan and steering rack. We were able to get fairly close but it was obvious the engine would sit too high (above the hood line) like this.

Removed oil pan, was happy to see no metal or other scary bits. I drained the oil and let it drip a week ago so it didn't drip on us much at all. Drug a magnet through the drained oil and it came back clean as well. Here you can see the massive oil pickup that makes things tricky and requires the huge, deep pan.

Now with the oil pan off and the steering rack dropped out of place we stuck the engine in and we were kind of amazed at how well everything lined up. Shift assembly right under shift hole, couple inches of clearance to firewall and engine mounts are close using the stock s2000 arms.

We took a bunch of pictures, drank some beer and congratulated ourselves on accomplishing something. Then we pulled the transmission and stuck the engine on a stand using some likely undersized hardware and miscellaneous junk as washers. I've ordered proper m12x1.25 x 150mm bolts to mount it since it will be on the stand for a while. Rogue Mocha Stout or whatever was decent but bitter on the aftertaste, Condor Speed Shop can koozie was excellent.

Carnage for the day was a harbor freight CRAFTSMAN 1/2" joint obviously not meant to be used with an impact. Oh well

AP2 oil jet bolts, valve retainers, valve keepers and a new valve cover gasket have been ordered and should show up sometime this week. I'm also ordering the subframe reinforcement kit and picking up some 1/4" steel stock. My favorite local independent BMW shop has a few spare e30 subframes so I'll be picking one of those up to work with so I can leave my current one in the car for the time being.

Bonus garage dogs. They got bored pretty fast and once it started to warm up went back to the a/c and couch. Lazy bums

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 18, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Carnage for the day was a harbor freight 1/2" joint obviously not meant to be used with an impact. Oh well

I didn't know Harbor Freight sold stuff that said "FTSMAN" on it :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Raluek posted:

Damnit, you took my joke. It was going to be something something, even worse -- Craftsman.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Raluek posted:

Oh poo poo good call, wonder what Craftsman's warranty is on those. Apparently they aren't made for impact guns :doh:

My brother also posted a picture of the engine in the bay to a WI car club page on facebook. There was some outrage. I'm still waiting to be accepted to the group otherwise I'll have him do some screen shots and send them to me.

He also posted it on instagram and got some responses. I need to get in touch with catuned because I wasn't able to find poo poo on them putting it in an e30, plenty about 2002 swaps though.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 18, 2016

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I know it was last page, but IMO you should really be checking geometry if planning to move the rack 3" forward. Pretty sure both ackerman and possibly bumpsteer will change, quite possibly in a significant way.

Since it's being shifted forward (and the e30 rack mounts on the forward side of the subframe) you could make a simple jig to hold the rack in place. You can check everything with some simple DIY stuff.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

PaintVagrant posted:

Yes there is an adapter plate for the K series to F transmission, they sell full conversion kits for the S2000

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Crustashio posted:

I know it was last page, but IMO you should really be checking geometry if planning to move the rack 3" forward. Pretty sure both ackerman and possibly bumpsteer will change, quite possibly in a significant way.

Since it's being shifted forward (and the e30 rack mounts on the forward side of the subframe) you could make a simple jig to hold the rack in place. You can check everything with some simple DIY stuff.

I'm definitely taking measurements and doing calculations so I don't screw up my handling. I'll be moving the rack as little as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
That engine is clean as gently caress, I can see why you're set on getting some use out of it before community pressure forces you to drop in a ITB k24 with 14:1 compression. That being said, throw an oil pan baffle in there. With the 4-5 s2ks that have come through the shop, the ones that don't have baffles have all shown signs of oil starvation with cam lobe wear. One that has 180k kms has a better looking top end than one with 65k.

• Locked thread