Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mekilljoydammit posted:

I've gotten decent at sifting out poo poo from actual facts on internet forums by now. ;)

... and there's a reason I'm building a rotary Miata instead of a turbo one. Well, a lot of reasons.

So where is the build thread on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Install the F20 ECU, then flash that.

Can't flash the early ECUs, only 06+. I've got an 02 with a Greddy Emanage Ultimate piggyback tuned by Karcepts that drops VTEC engagement down to the ~4500rpm area (among timing/fueling changes). It's a loving fat difference everywhere under 6500rpm and worth every single penny. Next step up is a Hondata KPro, but that requires converting a bunch of sensors / swapping valve covers with 06+ stuff. AEM and Haltech also make plug-in units that utilize stock sensors, but they don't handle VTEC like OEM (KPro does).

OFF THE SHELF headers, catbacks, and cams don't really do anything on a F, they are just for weight savings. The key to dropping VTEC engagement is a high flow cat.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 3, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
.......yes, now consider that you're comparing an 18 year old NA motor that revs to 9000rpm connected to a transmission/driveshaft/diff to a modern, direct injection FWD turbo motor. I own both a 2002 S2000 and a 2015 Fiesta ST, the Fiesta has unquestionably both the far quicker and more boring motor.

Also, that's an F22C1 so you're looking at an extra ~10-20whp over a F20C1.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 3, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The FiST falls on its face at 5k, whereas the S2000 has yet to come onto the large cam lobes (stock-for-stock) at the same RPM. They are polar opposite cars to drive, the FiST pulls out of corners whereas the S2000 is a momentum car. Comparison would be an E46 M3 versus an E92 335i, motor wise. Different strokes :)
They are definitely tapped out from the factory, there isn't much power to be found in them without spending a lot of money.

Honda improved on the F20 with the K series in a pretty large way. The K20C1 or that L15B7 would be more of a comparison to the modern Ford turbo motors.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 4, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, probably because the S54 is pretty linear in stock tune :) Getting rid of the artifical VTEC bump is pretty life changing for the F20C. S54 with the CSL intake is probably in the top 5 best sounding motors ever. :love:

• Locked thread