Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I know it was last page, but IMO you should really be checking geometry if planning to move the rack 3" forward. Pretty sure both ackerman and possibly bumpsteer will change, quite possibly in a significant way.

Since it's being shifted forward (and the e30 rack mounts on the forward side of the subframe) you could make a simple jig to hold the rack in place. You can check everything with some simple DIY stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Don't even bother with 16", the options are basically non existent and most manufacturers have moved to 15" and 17".

R7s, 225/45/17 or 245/40/17. Try to get your hands on some used/heat cycled ones to test fit. The 17" A7/R7 carcass runs extremely wide, like 20mm over sidewall size.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Late now, but bimmerworld makes a nice puller plate to use on FCABs with a 2 or 3 jaw puller. Pulls on the whole bushing instead of just the housing.

http://www.bimmerworld.com/3-Series-Front-Control-Arm-Bushing-Puller-Plate.html

I ordered a set of the condor mounts as well, apparently they're made by the original manufacturer who made them for treehouse I'm hoping they won't be too terrible for the street :v:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
If you don't need to be super accurate (below 0.1mm) then just measure outside to outside and inside to inside with a pair of calipers then take the average. Or if the holes are threaded 2 short / fully threaded socket head screws work as crude gauge pins.

(I have to reverse engineer a lot of stuff at work)

• Locked thread