Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Also, with some cars, I do understand why people tend to get upset about people "ruining" them. There's a lot of stuff out there where it's like with AE86s now - a good, straight, original model is a complete pain in the arse to find, and it gets especially annoying when the modified ones all seem to be done atrociously, with little real variation in the ghastly mods they choose..

People don't tend to have a good perspective on how the "lifecycle" (for lack of a better word) for enthusiast cars works. I remember back in high-school, 10-12 years ago, some of the guys I knew crashed & wrote-off a good dozen or so AE70 and AE85's between them, back when you could still get them for $500-$1500. And now they're the same guys you meet at car shows who are all about "keeping it straight and clean" because the values have gone up by a factor of 10+, the irony being that they're the ones who caused the scarcity but don't realise it.

When it comes to M3, the stock ones are going to stay stock due to collector value, and the modified ones are going to stay modified due to track-car demand. There might be a 0.1% that will jump between the two categories, but I don't think a single person on the BMW forums who will whine about this car will say "I have a complete inventory of NOS parts in my shed just waiting for a M3 shell to turn back into stock, and your ruining that opportunity for me OP!", because those people know there are way better & easier examples to clean and fix back up to stock than this car that is well into track territory.

Anyway, ramble aside, awesome thread and I genuinely look forward to the final weight-in and track-times for the car once it's finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread